PDA

View Full Version : Photo Editing Software

Oysterhouse
10-14-2013, 05:52 PM
What does the combined wisdom of the Bilge have to say about free or cheap photo editing software ?

What do you folks recommend? How easy is it to use? and what kind of results do you get?

Captain Intrepid
10-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Depends on what you do. For most of my basic stuff I use iPhoto. Not cheap, cost me $1100, but it included a free laptop.

Paul Pless
10-14-2013, 05:55 PM
For $125.00 its hard to beat the standard, Lightroom. Download a free 30 day trial here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom

Photoshop is just ridiculous now. . .

here's a decent overview of freeware from a couple years ago: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35264843/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/#.Ulx28mdWKSo

elf
10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Photoshop Elements is quite capable, not very expensive and permits one to move into Lightroom or Photoshop without a new learning curve.

If you have a mac, iPhoto does an amazing amount and comes with your computer.

Paul Pless
10-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't do much editing, but I've used Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) for basic stuff. It's free.i couldn't figure it out

Jimmy W
10-14-2013, 08:46 PM
For really basic stuff, I use Irfanview. It is free and it opens instantly.

Oysterhouse
10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
For really basic stuff, I use Irfanview. It is free and it opens instantly.

Thanks, Gonna' try that one next.

Gimp looked like it had a very steep learning curve--about like a CAD program.

I downloaded Lightroom but could not get it to load or open. ( My puter's kinda wonky tonight ).

AnalogKid
10-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Gimp looked like it had a very steep learning curve--about like a CAD program.

There's 2 kinds of people post in the bilge, those that know how to use freeware photo editors, and those who just post pretty pictures. ;)

i couldn't figure it out

Oysterhouse
10-14-2013, 09:41 PM
and those who just post pretty pictures. ;)

Guilty !!

Now if i can just get my GPS to point me in the direction of the closest Best Buy store-------

LongJohn
10-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Oyster -

I like FastStone. I have it set as my default image viewer, and it's great for cropping, straightening, basic exposure correction, sharpening and many other minor-to-moderate editing tasks. For things FastStone can't do (layers, healing brushes, panoramas, etc.), I open PhotoShop Elements (but only because it came free with a scanner - I'm too cheap to buy it), or Gimp. If a photo really needs advanced surgery or I want to try something FastStone, Elements or Gimp can't do, I take it to work and use PhotoShop CS. For a free editor that does a great job with basic to moderate adjustments, it's hard to beat FastStone - I think it's more powerful and intuitive than PhotoShop for that sort of thing. If you want to take it further, I think Gimp is as far as it goes with freeware. It does have a fairly steep learning curve - as does PhotoShop - but it has most of the capabilities of PS without the price tag.

You might also want to look at Paint.net (free) or PaintShop Pro (cheaper than PhotoShop). I haven't spent enough time with either of these to have a strong opinion, but both seem to be pretty highly regarded.

- John

BrianW
10-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Lightroom version 3.0 is what I use the most.

George Jung
10-15-2013, 08:11 AM
If you are a student, the cost of photoshop is ridiculously low. That said, it may be a cannon when you're looking for a BB gun.

Captain Intrepid
10-15-2013, 08:29 AM
On the Mac side of things, Graphics Convertor is a fantastic shareware programme.

Paul Pless
10-15-2013, 09:57 AM
If you are a student, the cost of photoshop is ridiculously low. That said, it may be a cannon when you're looking for a BB gun.

Are you aware that as of last May, Photoshop became a subscription service and not a stand alone package? It ranges from $29.99 to $75.99 per month depending on how many users, which components you wish to use, and how many gigs you work with. The education pricing is $19.99 per month.

S/V Laura Ellen
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Are you aware that as of last May, Photoshop became a subscription service and not a stand alone package? It ranges from $29.99 to $75.99 per month depending on how many users, which components you wish to use, and how many gigs you work with. The education pricing is $19.99 per month.

If you have a copy of Photoshop CS 3 or higher, the cost of Photoshop CC for Photographers (Photoshop CC and Lightroom) is 9.95 a month. That is cheaper in the long run than keeping Photoshop Elements and Lightroom upgraded.
I recently heard a rumour (from a reliable source) that Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers will be available sometime in November for a one time fee (approx $100- $200) plus $9.95 per month.
If that is true it is a very good deal.