PDA

View Full Version : code of conduct "prohibits students from playing with invisible guns."

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Jordan Bennett's imagination recently earned him a one-day suspension from school. The 8-year-old Florida boy was kicked out of class after administrators at Harmony Community School in Osceola County saw him pointing his finger like a gun while playing cops with his friends a gesture that the school considered to be an act of violence. Bennett's mother is worried that her son (who has never been in trouble before) will be categorized as a violent student because of it. "He didn't threaten violence," Bonnie Bennett told local news station WFTV. "He didn't utter words that were inappropriate. He made a sound and used his fingers and that was it."
The school refused to comment on Bennett's case, but it did tell WFTV (and this is an actual quote, just in case you were looking for today's sign of the apocalypse) that its code of conduct "prohibits students from playing with invisible guns."

posted without comment

hokiefan
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Pulling your best Phillip Allen???

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Pulling your best Phillip Allen???busted:o

S.V. Airlie
10-01-2013, 03:43 PM
There's got to be a limit somewhere!

hokiefan
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
busted:o

Personally I think it is rididulous to punish a little boy for shooting someone with his finger. Heck, I've shot myself in the head with my finger a thousand times, it doesn't hurt a bit.

So what do you think Paul?:d

CWSmith
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
posted without comment

It hardly needs comment, does it? I think the nuns that taught me in grade school would just have grabbed my fingers and squeezed as they walked me around the class for a minute, always speaking to the class and never breaking stride. The point would have been made and the matter would have been closed. They used to call it "common sense".

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
So what do you think Paul?:ddo you want me to keep playing phillip or do you want my honest opinion?:D

Joe Dupere
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Personally I think it is rididulous to punish a little boy for shooting someone with his finger. Heck, I've shot myself in the head with my finger a thousand times, it doesn't hurt a bit.

So what do you think Paul?:d

If you take away their invisible guns, then little boys will just start playing with invisible knives, invisible baseball bats, and for all I know, invisible swimming pools. :)

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
invisible swimming pools. :)very funny

Joe Dupere
10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Oh, and why is there no outrage when little boys pretend to drive invisible cars? Everybody knows invisible cars kill more people than invisible guns. Or sumthin' like that.

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Pulling your best Phillip Allen???
busted:oI'm impressed. Not everyone would admit to that.

Do you want me to keep playing phillip or do you want my honest opinion?:DIt's a slow day. Give us your best "Aww shucks."

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
I have a friend who forbids her grand kids from playing anything having to do with violence when they visit. Given that their dad is the weapons officer on a nuclear sub, I don't think she's having much of an impact on world peace.

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
It's a slow day. Give us your best "Aww shucks."okay, just this once. . .

"How convenient it is for the chosen bilge lefties that little Jordan is a white kid."

Flying Orca
10-01-2013, 04:09 PM
okay, jut this once. . .

"How convenient it is for the chosen bilge lefties that little Jordan is a white kid."

Oooooh, points off--every word is spelled correctly.

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
oh come on, would this be considered a sideways blast?:d

Flying Orca
10-01-2013, 04:15 PM
oh come on, would this be considered a sideways blast?:d

OK, that's better... :D

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Ridiculous.

As a grade school kid my favorite TV show was COMBAT! starring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason.

My friends and I all had toy WWII weapons and played "army" for hours and hours in the neighborhood and in the near-by woods.

Those were the days when our mothers told us to "go outside and play" and we did so unsupervised. We played "army," football, baseball, basketball, and sledded in the winter with nary an adult in sight.

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-01-2013, 04:20 PM
posted without comment

Nothing unusual about that.
But where's the picture?

bob winter
10-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Beyond stupid.

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
But where's the picture?Ahh, red hair. The kid's lucky they didn't taser him.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1382633/thumbs/n-SUSPENDED-large.jpg?6

hanleyclifford
10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
But violent video games are OK - just don't do it at school.:)

skuthorp
10-01-2013, 04:28 PM
A bit of social engineering that will not work, the equivalent of forbidding little girls from playing with dolls etc.
Rather silly really. Maybe because Wayne won't let them stop big boys playing with real ones?

seanz
10-01-2013, 04:29 PM
This is a violation of an invisible amendment.......

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 04:32 PM
I think it was the concealed carry aspect that has everyone so upset.

Michael D. Storey
10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Invisible guns don't kill people. Invisible people kill,,,never mind

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
I went to Catholic grade school. Mostly nuns. They made us do all kinds of things I didn't like. It was good training for life in the real world.

skuthorp
10-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I think it was the concealed carry aspect that has everyone so upset.

:d:cool: LOL

TomF
10-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Invisible guns don't kill people. Invisible people kill,,,never mindThey may kill invisible people. Who'd know?

seanz
10-01-2013, 05:29 PM
I think it was the concealed carry aspect that has everyone so upset. Y>Y>

The permits for the weapon in question are written in invisible ink......causes a lot of problems.

Joe Dupere
10-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Oh, you lefties are so blinded by your biases that you kain't see what's right in front of you. Of course, it's invisible, which is another reason you kain't see it it, but the real reason is your ideology.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Good example of everything that's wrong with our educational system.

Paul Pless
10-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Oh, you lefties are so blinded by your biases that you kain't see what's right in front of you. Of course, it's invisible, which is another reason you kain't see it it, but the real reason is your ideology.

that's pretty good

George Jung
10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Schools seem to become some Superintendants own little fiefdom, where they rule absolutely. Many of the ''keep God out of school' conflicts we read about all the time falls into the same category - a Superintendant who simply doesn't understand the law, but enforces his interpretation/biased view, anyway, all the while quoting 'the law'. You can educate, but you can't cure stupid.

BrianY
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
If invisible guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have invisible guns.

BrianY
10-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Schools seem to become some Superintendants own little fiefdom, where they rule absolutely. Many of the ''keep God out of school' conflicts we read about all the time falls into the same category - a Superintendant who simply doesn't understand the law, but enforces his interpretation/biased view, anyway, all the while quoting 'the law'. You can educate, but you can't cure stupid.

Yes, that's true somtimes, but it's also quite often more than that. School administrators become paranoid and overreact because of the insanity of the parents of their students. They know through sorry experience that some nutjob parent is going to go ballistic and raise holy hell over some stupid incident like this. We live in a society that encourages the creation of inane, nonsensical "zero tolerance' policies because parents lack "common sense". Schools have no choice but to create these kinds of policies to protect themselves.

Breakaway
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
We played "army," football, baseball, basketball, and sledded in the winter with nary an adult in sight.

All violent to varying degree, including sledding, if like we did, you occasionally aimed for your little brother at the bottom of the hill. I think all of these atrocious activities should be banned.

Kevin

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Thou shall not take Phillip's name in vain. So coolit dudes or your gonna get it.:)

Paul Pless
10-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Thou shall not take Phillip's name in vain. So coolit dudes or your gonna get it.:)

hey now, he's the one that went and got himself banned :D

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2013, 09:43 AM
With a little help from his friends.:)

John of Phoenix
10-02-2013, 09:45 AM
With a little help from his friends.:)And I missed the whole thing.

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Phillip is not banned, so party on dudes.:)

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
And I missed the whole thing. What ever he did must not have been to bad, hell even Full Tilt came to his defense.

Full Tilt
10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Phillip is not banned, so party on dudes.:)

Had he been?

Full Tilt
10-02-2013, 09:51 AM
What ever he did must not have been to bad, hell even Full Tilt came to his defense.

I don't know what came over me.

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't know what came over me. I think you saw an injustice, Damn did I just say that.:) Wanna smoke the peace pipe?

Full Tilt
10-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Got a light?
:)

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Got a light?
:) Yep, but watch out for Pless.

Full Tilt
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Yep, but watch out for Pless.

No Kiddin'.

seanz
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
:D

Blind, can't see what's there because it's invisible and ignorant of both the blindness and the invisibility? What a terrible state of affairs.