PDA

View Full Version : The 25 most influential people on the American right

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
m
The following list is according to the conservative website Townhall.com. What a rogues gallery!

1) Rush Limbaugh: He's the biggest right wing talk radio host in America, a generation of conservatives grew up listening to him, and he's capable of making news, killing legislation, and selling tens of thousands of books any time he opens his mouth.

2) Matt Drudge: The Drudge Report isn't just an important news site; it's an agenda-setter. If Drudge decides it's a big story, it shows up EVERYWHERE.

3) Sarah Palin: The former VP candidate has a fanatical following, regularly makes news for her attacks on the Obama Administration, and did more to get women elected in 2010 than any one human being ever has before in a single election cycle. Palin has enormous juice, but the key question is always, “What is she going to do with it? Run for office? Get other Republicans elected? Become the conservative Oprah?” Time will tell.

4) Karl Rove: He's not the most popular guy with the grassroots right now after the grassroots concluded that he intends to try to strangle Tea Party candidates in the crib to clear the way for establishment politicians in primaries, but no one can deny how much power he wields. Rove may have made his bones as a strategist and a commentator, but the massive fundraising done by American Crossroads makes him a huge player when election time rolls around.

5) John Boehner: You may like Boehner or you may not, but as the leader of the only branch of government that the Republican Party controls, he has his hand on the faucet of government and can practically turn it on or off at will.

6) Sean Hannity: At this point, we still don't know what's going to happen with Sean Hannity's highly rated show on Fox that's being booted in favor of Megyn Kelly, but given that it has excellent ratings, Hannity is highly likely to land on his feet. Beyond that, he still has the 2nd largest conservative radio audience out there with 13 million listeners.

7) John Roberts: Many conservatives have justifiably soured on John Roberts after he twisted the Constitution into a pretzel to find a way to make Obamacare legal, but as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, he wields enormous influence and has generally used it to help guide the court to the Right.

8) The Koch Brothers: In a movement where all the grassroots activists seem to be starved for cash, big donors like the Koch Brothers wield an enormous amount of influence. The level of hatred directed at them by the Left is a reflection of how much power they have, mostly behind the scenes, on the Right.

9) Ted Cruz: Cruz has been perfectly in tune with the grassroots, has worked relentlessly to move Republicans in the Senate to the Right, and has done a brilliant job of getting his name out there. So far, he's probably done the best job of carrying on Jim DeMint's legacy in the Senate.

10) Glenn Beck: Anyone who thought Beck was finished after he left Fox underestimated the size of his vision. He has 7.5 million listeners to his radio show, his website The Blaze is the 4th largest conservative news site, and The Blaze TV is incredibly ambitious. Beck might not have the biggest audience, but he has some of the most passionate fans out there.

11) John McCain: The only person more disliked by conservative bloggers than former presidential candidate John McCain is his own daughter Meghan. Given that McCain seems to hold grassroots conservatives in disdain, regularly cuts conservative Republicans off at the knees, and often undermines the Republican Party to help the Democrats because he believes it gets his name out there, it's no wonder he's held in such contempt by so many conservatives. Still, because of his stature and his shamelessness about betraying the people he represents, McCain is the biggest Republican power player in the Senate. Incidentally, that's one of the reasons why Senate Republicans have been so utterly ineffective for the last few years.

12) Mark Levin: Levin has 7.5 million listeners and every book he puts out goes straight to number one, which is a little surprising given how intellectual they are. This is a man who would have been right at home during the Constitutional Convention back in 1787.

13) Wayne LaPierre: When the Left made its latest push for gun control, Wayne LaPierre's NRA hit the Left like a buzzsaw to the face. LaPierre is a fearless and incredibly effective advocate for 2nd Amendment Rights and woe be unto the politician not in a liberal district who gets crosswise of him.

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
14) Rand Paul: Paul has shown a genius for reaching out to conservatives that his father never had, his drone filibuster was the smartest piece of stagecraft that Republicans have put on in years, and he has been at the forefront of every grassroots conservative initiative in the Senate. Paul is still a little raw, but he is proving to be a force in the Senate and a genuine conservative leader.

15) Grover Norquist: Norquist is one of the best connected people in D.C. and the patron saint of low taxes. Without his tireless efforts, you can be sure that we'd have seen much larger tax increases under Barack Obama.

16) Rick Perry: Perry's on here because he has been the most successful governor in America. In a time when Barack Obama has been dragging the country downhill, Texas has been thriving, largely because of Perry's leadership. People pay attention to what Perry says because unlike most politicians, he doesn't just talk the talk, he gets results.

17) Brent Bozell: Many people know Brent Bozell from his columns, but he makes the list because of the innovative news empire he's managed to create from his perch at the Media Research Center. Not only is Bozell behind the MRC, he's also the man driving Newsbusters and CNS news, both of which are among the 25 most popular conservative websites. In addition, Bozell also chairs For America which has been fighting to repeal Obamacare.

18) Mitch McConnell: He's timid, a terrible communicator, and has played Elmer Fudd to Harry Reid's Bugs Bunny for his entire tenure as Senate Minority Leader. If McConnell were an effective leader, he would be ranked much higher, but he's so bad at his job that it's a wonder Democrats aren't deliberately trying to undermine their own candidate in Kentucky to try to keep him in place in the Senate.

19) Charles Krauthammer: Krauthammer isn't the most syndicated or popular pundit out there, but the things he says are often treated as definitive by a number of powerful conservative sources. For example, when Rush Limbaugh and National Review typically treat what Krauthammer says as an argument ender, it gives him a lot of sway.

20) Scott Walker: Scott Walker has endless credibility with conservatives not just because he took on the unions and won -- in !!!WISCONSIN!!! -- but because he's setting the standard for how a conservative governor can successfully govern in a purple state.

21) Matt Kibbe: As the man in charge of Freedomworks, Kibbe is the head of one of the biggest, most effective conservative grassroots organizations in the country. Freedomworks played a key role in getting the Tea Party off the ground, pushing the Republican Party to the Right and generally representing the conservative base.

22) Jim Demint: The leader of the conservative resistance in the Senate decided to bolt to take over the powerful Heritage Foundation. It was a match made in heaven and it will probably keep both DeMint and Heritage on this list for decades to come.

23) Greg Gutfeld: Gutfeld has risen a long way from the guy who made a name for himself by mocking the Huffington Post while he blogged for them. These days, Gutfeld's The Five is the second highest rated show on Fox and his wittily goofy monologues and quotes are catching on everywhere.

24) Newt Gingrich: A run at the presidency seems to have revitalized the career of the most successful Speaker of the House the GOP has ever had. Gingrich is getting ready to get back on the air with Crossfire, but his real status comes from being considered the preeminent Republican "idea man."

25) Michelle Malkin: Not only is Malkin one of the most popular conservative columnists and TV commentators, she pumps out best selling books, dominates on social media, and has two powerhouse blogs, MichelleMalkin.com and Twitchy.

Concordia 33
10-01-2013, 01:00 PM
I'd say Mark Levin is much higher than #12 and Sarah Palin much lower than #3 for starters

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
christ, there ain't a one on that list that i respect

have i really become that much of a pinko???

Osborne Russell
10-01-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't know about Justice Roberts. The Supreme Court has a way of disappointing ideologues.

Michelle Malkin's last-place position very insecure as long as Ann Coulter is still around.

Osborne Russell
10-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd say Mark Levin is much higher than #12 and Sarah Palin much lower than #3 for starters

Wow, he only has to go up one notch to beat your Presidential candidate.

Osborne Russell
10-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Just guessing, you stayed the same, they went way right.

hokiefan
10-01-2013, 01:29 PM

No, the right has just moved way right. Very disappointing...

Mrleft8
That's pitiful.....

Paul Pless
i was once a young republican. . .

Michael D. Storey
10-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Whata buncha trash.

What about George Washington? You explain how you could have left him off the list.

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2013, 01:35 PM
It's not my list. I did not create it.

It is a list composed by the conservative website Townhall.com. Go argue with them.

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
11) John McCain: The only person more disliked by conservative bloggers than former presidential candidate John McCain is his own daughter Meghan. Given that McCain seems to hold grassroots conservatives in disdain, regularly cuts conservative Republicans off at the knees, and often undermines the Republican Party to help the Democrats because he believes it gets his name out there, it's no wonder he's held in such contempt by so many conservatives. Still, because of his stature and his shamelessness about betraying the people he represents, McCain is the biggest Republican power player in the Senate. Incidentally, that's one of the reasons why Senate Republicans have been so utterly ineffective for the last few years.I love the logic - one the guys most responsible for red ineffectiveness is one of their most influential. Rock the Celebration.

Osborne:
Michelle Malkin's last-place position very insecure as long as Ann Coulter is still around.When Ann sees that she's not on the list AT ALL, someone's gronicles are gonna be in a world of hurt.

BrianY
10-01-2013, 01:56 PM
"Newt Gingrich: .... the most successful Speaker of the House the GOP has ever had."

Well, that's not saying very much, is it? After all, the guy was driven out of the Speakership by his own party...

Rum_Pirate
10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Try googling "The 25 most influential people on the American left (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=The+25+most+influential+people+on+the+American+l eft&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)".

Flying Orca
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Try googling "The 25 most influential people on the American left (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=The+25+most+influential+people+on+the+American+l eft&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)".

While the USA might have a "left", you can't find it in mainstream politics. Noam Chomsky is pretty much dancing by himself.

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
While the USA might have a "left", you can't find it in mainstream politics. i for one, love this dude. . .

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HYOY3uYIzcg/TZKrbumPF0I/AAAAAAAABwQ/AXxBDjnGI1M/s1600/Sen%252BBernie%252BSanders%252BVT%252BAddresses%25 2BBen%252BBernanke%252BicjNRvVf76ll.jpg

leikec
10-01-2013, 02:10 PM

I voted for George H.W Bush, and in 1998 I worked for a republican congressional candidate's campaign.

Jeff C

Flying Orca
10-01-2013, 02:43 PM
i for one, love this dude. . .

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HYOY3uYIzcg/TZKrbumPF0I/AAAAAAAABwQ/AXxBDjnGI1M/s1600/Sen%252BBernie%252BSanders%252BVT%252BAddresses%25 2BBen%252BBernanke%252BicjNRvVf76ll.jpg

Oh, hell, yeah... but anywhere else in the world, he'd be a centrist, I think.

Boater14
10-01-2013, 02:49 PM
malkin and krauthammer but not bill kristol? the man who brought us Palin? it's a fun list but notice...only 7 of the 25 are currently accountable to the voters. the rest are in show biz or corporate shills. he who rides the back of the tiger.....make your base out of dummies and look what happens.

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
i was once a young republican. . . (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3921662#post3921662)
I voted for George H.W Bush, and in 1998 I worked for a republican congressional candidate's campaign.
I voted for Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and George H.W. Bush. I used to subscribe to the National Review. I never cast a vote for Bill Clinton.

Newt Gingrich's government shutdown and the relentless attempt to undermine the Clinton administration was the last straw for me. I realized the GOP was moving in a direction where I would not go. The George Dubya Bush administration sealed the deal for me. I changed my political party affiliation to Democrat.

The Republican Party has lost the plot. The 21st century GOP is not our father's Republican Party.
m

M. J. Notigan
10-01-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm a big fan of Mark Levin and listen to him every evening. I'd put him at the top of the list and bump Limbaugh down a few notches. Levin is a true conservative in the William F Buckley mold as defined by Ronald Reagan. A real disciple of the Constitution and Constitutional law, every night he explains to the listener how this current administration is running an end around of our defining document.

And I love his passion.

Karl Rove, Grover Norquist, John Roberts, LaPierre, John McCain and Mitch McConnell have been eclipsed by the times. Robert's yay vote for the Affordable Health Care Act will be a smear on his record forever. The rest are Republican Capitalists first, at the cost of every hard working American, left and right. Give me the man who looks to the Constitution for guidance first, not Wall Street.

I think Michael Savage might belong on this list and I'm glad to see Chris Christie wasn't considered. Glad to see Ann Coulter isn't there and surprised Bill O'Reilly wasn't listed further down the list.

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Jeff CI used to be a REAL republican. During the early Reagan years, I made a video about how to recruit volunteers to be Compassionate Conservatives with McCain, Reagan and Bob Hope. I headed a volunteer organization for McCain. I have a photo of Bush Sr and me at some black tie dinner party.

"The Republican Party has lost the plot" - OMFG, have they ever!

oznabrag
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM

No.

What has happened is that the Republican Party has become a radical, right-wing freak show.

M. J. Notigan
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I voted for Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and George H.W. Bush. I used to subscribe to the National Review. I never cast a vote for Bill Clinton.

Newt Gingrich's government shutdown and the relentless attempt to undermine the Clinton administration was the last straw for me. I realized the GOP was moving in a direction where I would not go. The George Dubya Bush administration sealed the deal for me. I changed my political party affiliation to Democrat.

The Republican Party has lost the plot. The 21st century GOP is not our father's Republican Party.
m

Tom,
I think the young Republicans like Cruz and Rand Paul , Steve King from Iowa are the rising stars for the future. The McConnells, McCains and Grahams need to be moved out of the way for that party to move forward. I agree the Republican Party has lost their way. I give thanks to the two Bush's (a name I hope never appears on the political scene ever again), Dick Cheyney and Karl Rove as the men who turned you to the left. They sure turned me off, with the result that I voted for Obama in 2008 just to get rid of them and their Wall Street buddies.

Give these young leaders time. I like what they say. Meanwhile, the other side has gone so far to the left that they too are going to go the way of the Old Republicans with their anti-American act.

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 03:45 PM
...every night he explains to the listener how this current administration is running an end around of our defining document. What was he saying when dubya was churning out all his signing statements?

oznabrag
10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Tom,
I think the young Republicans like Cruz and Rand Paul , Steve King from Iowa are the rising stars for the future. The McConnells, McCains and Grahams need to be moved out of the way for that party to move forward. I agree the Republican Party has lost their way. I give thanks to the two Bush's (a name I hope never appears on the political scene ever again), Dick Cheyney and Karl Rove as the men who turned you to the left. They sure turned me off, with the result that I voted for Obama in 2008 just to get rid of them and their Wall Street buddies.

Give these young leaders time. I like what they say. Meanwhile, the other side has gone so far to the left that they too are going to go the way of the Old Republicans with their anti-American act.

Oh my.

Barack Obama is the finest conservative President we have had in this country since Eisenhower, but he has gone too far to the left.

Wow.

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Meanwhile, the other side has gone so far to the left that they too are going to go the way of the Old Republicans with their anti-American act
Oh my.

Barack Obama is the finest conservative President we have had in this country since Eisenhower, but he has gone too far to the left.

Wow.Really. The Taliban is a bunch of pinko libs to some people.

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh my.

Barack Obama is the finest conservative President we have had in this country since Eisenhowerwell at least since clinton

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I made a video about how to recruit volunteers to be Compassionate Conservatives with McCain, Reagan and Bob Hope. I headed a volunteer organization for McCain. is this video available, perhaps to be found on ewetube???

inquiring mind wants to know. . .:D

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I agree the Republican Party has lost their way. I give thanks to the two Bush's (a name I hope never appears on the political scene ever again), Dick Cheney and Karl Rove as the men who turned you to the left.Wrong.

What moved me to change my party affiliation was Newt Gingrich and the radical culture warriors who emerged in reaction to a moderate Democrat being elected POTUS: Bill Clinton. The relentless GOP attempt to undermine the Clinton administration was shameful, in my opinion. It was the birth of the party of "No" and its tactic of constant obstructionism. The Gingrich government shutdown was a totally irresponsible action that is being repeated today. The impeachment dog and pony show was shameless. I would not join the GOP to crawl into bed with the likes of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. I could not remain in a political party that shamelessly pandered to ignorant anti-intellectual and anti-science yahoos. I could not remain in a political party that embraced the absolutely immoral and thoroughly cynical long-term strategy of "starve the beast."

I changed my political affiliation from Republican to Independent during the Clinton administration. When it became clear during the G. W. Bush administration that the GOP continued to relentlessly veer ever rightward and continue the "starve the beast" strategy, I changed my political affiliation from Independent to Democrat.

How you can acknowledge your leaders as comprising a majority of the lying, dirtbag, demagogues on the list I posted is beyond my ability to comprehend. Your "young GOP leaders" are bomb-throwers.

Paul Pless
10-01-2013, 04:01 PM
W got me

John of Phoenix
10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
is this video available, perhaps to be found on ewetube???

inquiring mind wants to know. . .:DI think it might be. Try searching for the "The Road to Oblivion". :D

M. J. Notigan
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
What was he saying when dubya was churning out all his signing statements?

Mark Levin is not a fan at all of W Bush. Do with this what you want: http://riehlworldview.com/2011/03/mark-levin-on-bush-versus-reagan-and-conservatism.html I have no idea what you refer to in "signing statements" but that's fine, I'm not going further here. I just stopped in to toss in an opinion, not get lambasted for the actions of people out of my league and control. :D But as I've seen before and see again, it's just not a welcoming environment for my tastes down here.

Got time to squeeze in fitting one more teak strip before sundown, anyway!

hokiefan
10-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I grew up in a Republican house. My parents weren't registered, claimed they voted for the person, but if they ever voted for a Democrat it was at the local level where they knew them personally. Remember making some favorable comment about JFK when I was 9 or so and getting an earful from my Mom.

First POTUS I could have voted for was Reagan, but I was off at school and it was a PITA so I didn't. Got an earful from Mom about that too... While I would have voted for Reagan I do remember being a bit squeamish about the whole Moral Majority thing.

I definitely voted for George HW Bush, and against Clinton. I remember distinctly, thinking that its a hell of a note to have to teach your kids to be more honest than the POTUS. That said I thought the unrelenting attacks from the right and the impeachment was wrong.

But it really took Bush the lessor to show me the error of my ways. The things he did to hurt our economy, our standing in the world, and the lives of so many people just finally woke me up. I loathe the fact that I voted for him both times. The first I get, the second I can't reconcile.

So I voted for my first Democrat in 2008 and again in 2012. Got an earful from my sister about that... Given the way the Republicans have behaved since 2008 I'm not sure I can see voting for a Republican ever again. Honestly hope I'm wrong about that.

Cheers,

Bobby

Lew Barrett
10-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I have never been a Republican, nor can I remember the last time I voted for one. I would like to think of myself as independent but reality always takes pole position when the curtain is drawn.

My vote for worst Democrat in my memory goes to LBJ even though he left a decent legacy in respect to civil rights. The Vietnam thing simply overwhelmed that part.