PDA

View Full Version : Buzzed

pkrone
09-29-2013, 09:11 PM
My house got buzzed by an F-35 this afternoon. Those things are big and LOUD. I waved at the pilot and the F-16 that was tailing him. Then I remembered that a neighbor is a test pilot for Lockheed. I guess he was actually buzzing his own house. Pretty cool.

Full Tilt
09-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Checking on the missus.

Jim Bow
09-29-2013, 11:19 PM
That little buzz probably cost $30K in fuel and maintenance. http://ti.me/OoZLHb

7% of all the money spent by the Pentagon in a year goes to Lockheed Martin.

skuthorp
09-30-2013, 03:15 AM
I got buzzed by a couple of Jaguar fighters whilst sailing on Loch Ness. The backwash nearly tipped me over.
http://crianlarich-hotel.co.uk/Pictures/83540/Tour%20Scotland%20by%20Car%20Fort%20William%20and% 20Ben%20Nevis_690x518.jpg

bogdog
09-30-2013, 06:41 AM
We get buzzed most everyday, right now it's T-38s and F-22s. Last weekend or the one before it was a B-17, three passes, maybe Memphis Belle.

Full Tilt
09-30-2013, 06:48 AM
That little buzz probably cost $30K in fuel and maintenance. http://ti.me/OoZLHb

Call it a training mission.

pkrone
09-30-2013, 09:32 AM

Actually, our neighborhood is on the southern return approach to the base and he just took a lower than usual approach and gave a little waggle. So don't worry, no money wasted... One less thing for you to worry about now...

John of Phoenix
09-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I took a flight of four Cobras from Ft Bragg, NC back to Ft Ord, CA. My sister lived in a little town about 50 miles from Bragg and was treated to a "fly by" on our way out. I called her when I got back to CA and asked her if she had see a flight of helicopters near her house in the past few days. "SEEN THEM?! They scared me to death! They shook pictures off the walls! That was YOU? I'm tellin' Mom!"

Paul Pless
09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
I took a flight of four Cobras from Ft Bragg, NC back to Ft Ord, CA. 2,700 miles as the crow flies. Am I right in guessing that long cross country flights aren't exactly the Cobra's forte?

bogdog
09-30-2013, 10:12 AM
"SEEN THEM?! They scared me to death! They shook pictures off the walls! That was YOU? I'm tellin' Mom!"

Sisters! They never fully appreciate the things we do for 'em. One of my buddies use to fly from Langley to Key West for lunch, fuel was a little cheaper back then.

John of Phoenix
09-30-2013, 11:00 AM
2,700 miles as the crow flies. Am I right in guessing that long cross country flights aren't exactly the Cobra's forte?It's about 3000 nm taking the Southern route for better weather. At 140 kts and 300 nm per leg, it takes three, sometimes four days depending on winds and weather and makes for a very numb butt. It's challenging in many ways - strictly visual navigation from a STACK of large scale maps as the Cobra has virtually no internal navigation capability, planning each leg to avoid high density airspace yet still get jet fuel, skirting bad weather as it pops up, meeting crew rest requirements, handling in flight emergencies, accomplishing required maintenance enroute, finding good bars :) - it's brutal.

As grueling as it was, it was a helluva lot of fun to get out of the routine and you can't imagine how beautiful it is to see the country from 300 feet or so and enjoy the unrestricted visibility afforded by the front seat of a Cobra. "Lead, Chalk Three on VHF, can we jog south a bit and have a look at Tombstone?" "Everybody have enough fuel for an extra 20 minutes?" "Coming left to heading two zero five."

Gerarddm
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Was under spinnaker once in a 30' sloop in Narragansett Bay when two Blue Angels flew low over us, causing the spinnaker to puff decisively and for us to earn a frantic wave off from a Coast Guard cutter: we had inadvertently stumbled into restricted space during a Blue Angels show. The owner was sheepish.

Full Tilt
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
I motored through the hot wash of a low hovering Harrier as a foolish teenager.