PDA

View Full Version : Mevagissy Fishing Fleet

John R Smith
02-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Its Smith doing his Professor Gnome act again . . .

Just to keep you all erudite and learned, here is another nice photo from the Cornwall County Council Maritime Archive. Mevagissey Harbour around 1900 or so -

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/Council-Services/Images/Mevagissey.jpg

Mevagissey is a little fishing port on the south coast of Cornwall, and as you can see the inner harbour here is tidal. Too small to be a port of registry, Mevagissey boats are actually registered at Fowey, hence the "FY" numbers. In this photo the fleet was in harbour, and all the boats you can see are wooden luggers, or "mackerel drivers" as they were known.

The boats with their sails up are drying them in the breeze. The rig is the classic dipping lug, with a standing lug on the mizzen. The Mevagissey luggers were always transom-sterned, whereas the Mounts Bay and St Ives fleets were double-enders.

Beautiful boats. Do you have lug-rigged fishing boats in your neck of the woods?

Also - spot my deliberate mistake!

John

[ 02-18-2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: JohnRSmith ]

TomRobb
02-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Alas, no.

Does anyone know what the drill is for the icons above the reply box?

B. Burnside
02-18-2002, 11:05 AM
Modern buildings in the background?

(Yes we do have a lugsail in our fleet, but not for fishing.)

Hugh Paterson
02-18-2002, 04:05 PM
I have just watched a reporter on our regional
news programme witness the scrapping of another trawler for the "decommisioning" scheme. What a scandalous waste of a perfectly servicable boat, I wish :( the powers that be, would allow these boats to be used for other worthy projects like youth training or similar so much for recycling old boats! :(

Shuggie.

John B
02-18-2002, 04:31 PM
EUREKA!
There is no breeze!! that and one of the guys on the wharf has a rolex on.

B. Burnside
02-19-2002, 07:53 PM
What was your deliberate error?

John R Smith
02-20-2002, 03:51 AM
OK, gang. "Saving Grace" is a nice film, isn't it?

I said "all the boats you can see are wooden luggers", didn't I?

Well, the two in the immediate foreground are gaff-rigged Mevagissey Toshers. See the sheet-horse on FY4?

No-one gets the Mars Bar ;)

John