PDA

View Full Version : CHEESE MAKERS AHOY..... Any tips for making cheese at home...?

Spin_Drift
09-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Hello friends, I'm getting ready to make Feta and Cheddar cheese. Got the milk, culture, rennet and some equipment.

I've made soft Farmer's cheese before but this is an all new game.

Any tips, hints, and personal experience on what has worked for you would be appreciated ...
:)

cathouse willy
09-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Spin Drift .Now this is the sort of thread I like. Food, stuff important to all. I make yogurt and have tried my hand at making cheddar. the results won't win any awards but are good enough to try again. Here's a link I found helpful

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_course/cheese_course.htm

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-29-2013, 03:29 AM
My wife, who has done all manner of strange craft activities - and grew up on a dairy farm said:

"Ricotta / Crowdie are OK - I've made Wensledale, but frankly it's not worth the bother, just buy it!"

Mrleft8
09-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I used to..... It's considerably cheaper to buy good cheese, and it usually tastes better, and has a more pleasant texture. I suppose if one were to try using Moose milk, or Walrus milk, and then market this to silly stupid rich people in Seattle, New York, And L.A., it might be worth it....

katey
09-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I've made hard cheese a few times. It was edible, but never anything to write home about. With cheddar, or other aged cheeses, make sure to take notes when you make it because it will be months before you eat it and get feedback on how it is! For sure there is a learning curve.Where are you going to age it?

Mozzarella, ricotta, and other fresh cheeses are easy and much, much better than what you can buy.

Get Ricki Carroll's book.

Mrleft8
09-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Last time I made mozzarella it took me $20 of whole milk to make about as much fresh mootz as I can buy for $7 at the store..... And the store bought stuff has flavor..... There are just some things that it's better to buy.

katey
09-29-2013, 12:11 PM
The rule of thumb is that a gallon of milk makes about a pound of cheese. If your mozz had no flavor, then you got lousy milk. You can also add lipase for more cheesy flavor.

SeaB
09-29-2013, 07:04 PM
In my experience, if you or your neighbor do not have a cow or goats, it too expensive and not really worth the effort.
Years ago we had goats and a cow to milk, lots of milk to deal with.
Start with the easy ones like feta, cottage cheese, and yogurt soft cheese which is just yogurt in cheesecloth hung and drained for a day.
Then on to soft cheeses like Neufchâtel, etc
Then hard cheeses.
If you have had good results wine making and are a record keeping type of person you should do quite well
Best wishes!

cathouse willy
09-29-2013, 08:38 PM
All of the negative replies here miss something important....I made it myself is a very worthy feeling.If you're thinking of making cheese to save money ,,,,,don't bother. I have to say every thing tastes better home grown

Spin_Drift
09-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks Katey, SeaB, and Cathouse Willy.

I don't do this to save money. It's more expensive to make it than to buy it. I do things like this for the pleasure of doing them. Husband and I are pretty much "do it yourself" kind of people.... Wednesday I'm going to make my first cheddar.

Willy, thanks for the link.

Spin_Drift
09-30-2013, 11:50 PM
All of the negative replies here miss something important....I made it myself is a very worthy feeling.If you're thinking of making cheese to save money ,,,,,don't bother. I have to say every thing tastes better home grown

Agreed. :) (And home made)

Michael D. Storey
10-01-2013, 06:50 AM
what a friend we have in cheeses.

Spin_Drift
10-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Two days ago made three different kinds. Regular that can be pressed and aged into cheddar. Semi soft herb cheese. Also two chocolate cheeses with coco powder, chocolate chips and chopped nuts.

Now it's a waiting game.

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-04-2013, 09:21 PM
The Slovaks make a cheeze called "bryndza". It's a salty cheese made from sheep's milk. You gotta' milk a whole lot of sheep every day to make it pay.
I've heard they save some of the liquid left overs, spike it with garlic and other spicey ingredients to create a, supposedly, refreshing drink called "zinc'ica". It's drunk from a traditional carved wooden cup called a "c'erpak". Waste not, want not.
You all really wanted to know all this, didn't you?

SeaB
10-05-2013, 05:57 AM
I certainly understand the enjoyment in doing it yourself. I have be careful I do not get involved in too many of those sort of projects otherwise all my time would be taken up.