PDA

View Full Version : Memories of being in places or on teams

John Smith
09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I often think how one must have great memories of being part of something if they were working on the film "The Wizard of Oz" or "King Kong". I'm sure similar feeling will be part of the future for all those who sailed Oracle.

I wonder how this will work for those who were members of congress when our government shuts down, we don't pay our debts, and it creates the problems that follow.

hanleyclifford
09-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I often think how one must have great memories of being part of something if they were working on the film "The Wizard of Oz" or "King Kong". I'm sure similar feeling will be part of the future for all those who sailed Oracle.

I wonder how this will work for those who were members of congress when our government shuts down, we don't pay our debts, and it creates the problems that follow. Relax, John; I have it from one of my best customers (a market trader of unimpeachable shrewdness), that it is not going to happen.

Full Tilt
09-26-2013, 09:02 PM
I often think how one must have great memories of being part of something if they were working on the film "The Wizard of Oz" or "King Kong"

You'd be very lucky to have any memory at all if you worked on 'King Kong' (1933) or Wizard of Oz (1939)!

Mike

John Smith
09-27-2013, 09:30 AM
I just used those as examples that came immediately to mind. It does take some time to go by to see if those things you worked on become classics. I expect working at Sun records when Elvis, Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash, Orbison, B.B. King et al were there is some memory.

As to Hanley's post, simply playing "chicken" with not paying our bills is not good for the country. And we are dealing with some folks I think have no idea of exactly of exactly what they are playing with and the damage they can do.

Jim Mahan
09-27-2013, 09:54 AM
When I was at Osan AB in Korea in '77 I played defensive end on our intramural flag football team. We played under the lights. They called me 'Mad Dog' because I bayed at the moon when I made a 'tackle.' Good times.

Full Tilt
09-27-2013, 10:13 AM
I worked on 'Pacific Rim' and we had 'Jaegers' which coulda made mincemeat outta Kong!

http://youtu.be/5guMumPFBag

You can go back to complaining about politics now.

Mike

Paul Pless
09-27-2013, 10:43 AM
When I was at Osan AB in Korea in '77 I played defensive end on our intramural flag football team. We played under the lights. They called me 'Mad Dog' because I bayed at the moon when I made a 'tackle.' Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM&feature=player_detailpage

Jim Bow
09-27-2013, 12:31 PM
My first thought on reading this was of the time we (a crew of 4) installed 18 servers in 18 different buildings, some on mountaintops and some in jail basements, in 10 days and had a bug free network when we were done. Still proud of that.

Full Tilt
09-28-2013, 07:31 AM
My first thought on reading this was of the time we (a crew of 4) installed 18 servers in 18 different buildings, some on mountaintops and some in jail basements, in 10 days and had a bug free network when we were done. Still proud of that.

That's a highlight? |:(

John Smith
09-28-2013, 08:08 AM
I'd like to get back to my question; how will it feel, what kind of memory will it be, to have been Speaker when the House destroyed the country's credit rating? Or caused another depression?

Will Cruz give the supposedly grown up members of the GOP the backbone to stand up to the Tea Party?

And my older question: where in the constitution can we decide not to pay our debts?

Paul Pless
09-28-2013, 08:13 AM
And my older question: where in the constitution can we decide not to pay our debts?and where in the constitution does it say we must pay them?

John Smith
09-28-2013, 08:24 AM
and where in the constitution does it say we must pay them?

Amendment 14, if memory serves.

Do you think it can possibly be a good thing for a nation to decide not to pay legally incurred debt?

Full Tilt
09-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Surely you can't believe that there's any possible way America will ever be able to get out of debt without declaring either bankruptcy or war?

Paul Pless
09-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Do you think it can possibly be a good thing for a nation to decide not to pay legally incurred debt?i didn't, i was just curious where you come up with some of this crap. . .

There are many debts the U.S. has decided not to pay. . .

Paul Pless
09-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Surely you can't believe that there's any possible way America will ever be able to get out of debt without declaring either bankruptcy or war?the most common way is to devalue one's currency through inflation. . .

John Smith
09-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Surely you can't believe that there's any possible way America will ever be able to get out of debt without declaring either bankruptcy or war?

Probably not in my lifetime, but we can certainly do things that will pay the debt down a bit each year. Clinton did it.

The first thing we NEED to do, IMO, is raise taxes enough to meet our current commitments. Then we can look at spending cuts very carefully. As we find cuts we can all agree on, the savings can go to paying down the debt. We also need to find ways to create jobs so they'll be more good pay to tax.

It's really not complicated. It just takes the realization that we are undertaxed.

John Smith
09-28-2013, 08:43 AM
i didn't, i was just curious where you come up with some of this crap. . .

There are many debts the U.S. has decided not to pay. . .

Perhaps you'll find a list of debts that congress created that we've refused to pay after the 14th amendment was passed.

Paul Pless
09-28-2013, 08:43 AM
The first thing we NEED to do, IMO, is raise taxes enough to meet our current commitments. Then we can look at spending cuts very carefully.

why not look at both sides of the budget at the same time?

John Smith
09-28-2013, 08:48 AM
why not look at both sides of the budget at the same time?

I don't think congress can walk and chew gum at the same time. Raise the damned taxes, including mine and yours, enough to zero out the deficit. At that point the debt is stable; it ceases to grow.

Then we can take the time to find places to cut the budget CAREFULLY. At this point any money saved via budget cuts will go to pay down the debt.

If we invest in job creation, we'll have a broader tax base and more revenue and we can pay the debt down a bit faster.

Wouldn't it be a good thing if every year our debt got a little bit smaller? If the national debt clock was counting down rather than up?

cutting spending at this point in time only hurts job creation, and hurts the economy.

The quickest, surest, easiest way to balance our budget is to raise taxes. Note the budget was balanced before the two Bush tax cuts.