PDA

View Full Version : Tale of the sea ...

Jim Bow
09-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I picked up the first Walt Longmire book by Craig Johnson. I got interested after watching the TV series.

In the book, Walt, a Wyoming sheriff, comments about finding the time to read "Doctor Dogbody's Leg".

So I had to look it up. It's a 1940s novel by James Hall of "Mutiny On The Bounty" fame.

Anyone here ever read it?

J P
09-25-2013, 02:19 PM
No, but I've read all the Longmire books. Watched the TV series via Netflix after reading them and thought they did an OK job of it, although I think they could have just stuck to the stories as written. And some of the casting seems ... odd.

Ian McColgin
09-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a gas. I'm going to look for it. Thank you for the interesting book tip.

Jim Bow
10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
No, but I've read all the Longmire books. Watched the TV series via Netflix after reading them and thought they did an OK job of it, although I think they could have just stuck to the stories as written. And some of the casting seems ... odd.

I, too, wish they'd stuck closer to the books. I love the little insignificant, and charming, details. I chuckled when Walt and Henry were trying to track down the Sharps rifle. They visited Lonnie, the diabetic Cheyenne with no legs. He tells Walt, smiling, that he doesn't know about a rifle. Then he chats a few words in Cheyenne with Henry who then walks to a closet and produces a Sharps in a hand made buffalo skin scabbard. Not only is it a Sharps, but it is a veteran of Little Big Horn. The fact that he wouldn't tell Walt, but would tell Henry is such a telling little moment.