PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion train wreck

Shang
09-25-2013, 09:26 AM
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa463/connery2/FGStrongGirl.gif

S.V. Airlie
09-25-2013, 09:42 AM
More like a neck wreck! Nothing like a dumb belle! She ain't no Atlas is she?

Paul Pless
09-25-2013, 09:47 AM
what was she thinking?

pkrone
09-25-2013, 09:47 AM
I think she pooped her leotard while she was at it. Or at least blew out some hemorrhoids...

Figment
09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
The normal-speed is actually more telling than the slow-mo. She didn't quite hit the lockout overhead, and because she has that freakish flexibility that all girls seem to have, she brought the bar back down to her shoulders rather than just bailing-out properly.

If that right ankle is OK, she probably caught it right a few minutes later.

Shang
09-25-2013, 10:22 AM
what was she thinking?

Therein was the problem.

It's a dangerous sport. I still lift for strength training, but only in a cage.

Waddie
09-25-2013, 10:25 AM
More like a neck wreck! Nothing like a dumb belle! She ain't no Atlas is she?

Very funny !! You're in rare form today !!

regards,
Waddie

BrianW
09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
I simply avoid any lifts that require everything goes exactly right, and if they don't, injuries will happen so fast you cant stop them.

I can build muscle without flinging weights around.

Michael D. Storey
09-25-2013, 06:53 PM
it is my understanding that a lifter, especially a young one, is spotted on each side to avoid such a calamity. I would say to every one here that if that were your daughter, you would demand proper supervision. Your snide remarks are ill suited to a situation where a young person was in over her head. Smarten up. Also, if you watch carefully, it is clear that she knew how to lift, and may have lifted this much in the past.

leikec
09-25-2013, 07:04 PM
I hire people to lift things for me. Much safer...

Jeff C

hokiefan
09-25-2013, 07:08 PM
it is my understanding that a lifter, especially a young one, is spotted on each side to avoid such a calamity. I would say to every one here that if that were your daughter, you would demand proper supervision. Your snide remarks are ill suited to a situation where a young person was in over her head. Smarten up. Also, if you watch carefully, it is clear that she knew how to lift, and may have lifted this much in the past.

In training yes. Even experience athletes at the college and professional level spot for each other. But this appears to be a competition where there is generally no spotting.

Cheers,

Bobby

Captain Intrepid
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, I've got those exact lifting shoes. Looks like 60kg, I'd bet she's probably fine, if a little bruised in body and ego.

Therein was the problem.

It's a dangerous sport. I still lift for strength training, but only in a cage.

It can be dangerous if done incorrectly, but overall it's significantly safer than most sports. It's just unusual and not well understood by most.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/249/9ef0.jpg (http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/11/benefits-of-olympic-weightlifting.html)

You don't typically spot someone on the classical lifts. I'd estimate that the main reason things like this happen are when lifters try to save failed lifts instead of just dumping them.

LeeG
09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't get the humor one bit.

BrianW
09-25-2013, 10:39 PM
It can be dangerous if done incorrectly, but overall it's significantly safer than most sports. It's just unusual and not well understood by most.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/249/9ef0.jpg (http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/11/benefits-of-olympic-weightlifting.html)

The only item in the list that I participate in, is the last one. So for me, it's 100% more likely to hurt me than any of those other things.

I don't need a (more) blown out knee, or a hernia, so I don't do anything like what that young lady was doing. ;)

TomF
09-26-2013, 04:56 AM
There's no way I know of to spot one of the "quick lifts". Unlike squats or bench, which can happen in a cage because the dangerous point is getting out from the bottom... and the bottom isn't on the floor itself... the danger point in a snatch is the overhead position.. Miss a lockout (like she did), have the bar not in a balanced position in any direction, and you should bail.

People don't want to bail in competition, 'cause they're less likely to win, eh?

There are injuries in every sport - Oly lifting included. Anyone want to talkk about knees in soccer or football? Head and neck trauma in football, or maybe hockey or (pro) boxing? One of Canada's premier gymnasts broke both legs when he missed a landing.

On the other hand, as linked above, the injury rate per athlete-hour is rather dramatically higher in most of the sports we have our kids play in school and community leagues.