PDA

View Full Version : americans are beyond belief

bob winter
09-23-2013, 07:22 PM
The stuff going in Kenya the last day two is scary. Citizens of the US of A don't seem to register much of anything that happens outside of the US.

Curtism
09-23-2013, 07:24 PM
(Collectively) guilty as charged.

bob winter
09-23-2013, 07:30 PM
The US of A seen to think thy are special. Time will tell.

genglandoh
09-23-2013, 07:30 PM
The US is an interesting place.

Most people are descendants of Immigrates so you would expect most people in the US would be interested in other countries.
But for some reason we are not very interested.

The one good note is with the internet we are getting more News from around the world.

johnw
09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
The stuff going in Kenya the last day two is scary. The US of A morons don/'t seem to regider. Morons!

It's the Belgians that really yank my chain. Why don't they regider, whatever that means.

Jim Bow
09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
There isn't much regider going on in Canada either. Morons.

Fitz
09-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Should we hit the mall with a cruise missile?

LeeG
09-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I had chorizo & macaroni, what's regider?

Paul Girouard
09-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Well what ever regider is, we, USA, damned sure are BETTER at it than the freakin Canadians EVER will be!!!! :d

So take that and stick it in yer pipe and smoke it, Eh , BOB! :d

oznabrag
09-23-2013, 08:47 PM
It's the Belgians that really yank my chain. Why don't they regider, whatever that means.

Because they're a bunch of ingrates...er... immigrates!

Donn
09-23-2013, 09:01 PM
The stuff going in Kenya the last day two is scary. The US of A morons don/'t seem to regider. Morons!

The US of A seen to think thy are special. Time will tell.

Hard Cider Season in Bob-Land.

bobbys
09-23-2013, 09:30 PM
The stuff going in Kenya the last day two is scary. The US of A morons don/'t seem to regider. Morons!http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2y_2vyjCPz4/UkACHe4vp-I/AAAAAAACcGo/31ao53hGDuc/s1600/PDS+23+(8).jpg.

pcford
09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Quite a power unit there, Bob.

PeterSibley
09-23-2013, 10:21 PM
The US is an interesting place.

Most people are descendants of Immigrates so you would expect most people in the US would be interested in other countries.
But for some reason we are not very interested.

The one good note is with the internet we are getting more News from around the world.

Bigcountryitis , the same occurs in india and China, there's enough going on at home to keep all the TV channels occupied .

seanz
09-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Bigcountryitis , the same occurs in india and China, there's enough going on at home to keep all the TV channels occupied .

Try living in the EU, you wouldn't believe how much stuff happens there and nothing happens in the Antipodes just weather and crocodile attacks.
;)

johnw
09-23-2013, 10:52 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2y_2vyjCPz4/UkACHe4vp-I/AAAAAAACcGo/31ao53hGDuc/s1600/PDS+23+(8).jpg.

For some reason, I keep coming back to this post. Perhaps it's the most interesting on the thread.

Paul Girouard
09-23-2013, 10:57 PM
For some reason, I keep coming back to this post. Perhaps it's the most interesting on the thread.

It's one "solid" post for sure.

bobbys
09-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Somebody had to bail out Mr winter....

Waddie
09-24-2013, 12:02 AM

Since you ask so politely........ who gives a turd about Kenya........ they seem perfectly able to kill their own terrorists.

regards,
Waddie

gilberj
09-24-2013, 12:38 AM
You miss a key or two Bob??? why don't you Regiderdone over again.

BrianW
09-24-2013, 12:48 AM
I actually sent a message to a Kenyan friend. He, and his family are okay.

Sorry to spoil the thread Bob.

isla
09-24-2013, 03:57 AM
The thing that always astonishes me about the UK media coverage of these events is how parochial they can be. The initial reports say something like " 63 people are reported dead in a terrorist attack in Nairobi, some of the victims may be British", then the next report says "6 British citizens are now known to have died in the Nairobi terrorist attack".

seanz
09-24-2013, 04:05 AM
The thing that always astonishes me about the UK media coverage of these events is how parochial they can be. The initial reports say something like " 63 people are reported dead in a terrorist attack in Nairobi, some of the victims may be British", then the next report says "6 British citizens are now known to have died in the Nairobi terrorist attack".

I'd hate to accuse you of parochialism yourself, but that happens in most countries.
;):)

For example, from the recent (and horrid) massacre in Kenya there was this report.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9199613/Kiwi-describes-escape-from-Nairobi-mall-siege

skuthorp
09-24-2013, 04:18 AM
I opened a thread on this at the start but was more or less told it was in 'bad taste'.

News from the Kenyan Foreign Minister is that 3 of the Al Shabab attackers are American residents at least, and one is a British woman. The operational example set here should make even US residents think.

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 04:46 AM
I opened a thread on this at the start but was more or less told it was in 'bad taste'.

News from the Kenyan Foreign Minister is that 3 of the Al Shabab attackers are American residents at least, and one is a British woman. The operational example set here should make even US residents think.

Al Shabab has denied any Westerners are involved , if I heard the last report correctly Jeff .

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 04:51 AM

The same here in Australia Isla, however after telling us the Australian casualties they are telling us the rest and backgrounding the Kenyan / Somali situation.

epoxyboy
09-24-2013, 04:53 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2y_2vyjCPz4/UkACHe4vp-I/AAAAAAACcGo/31ao53hGDuc/s1600/PDS+23+(8).jpg.
Does this fit the same design rule as an AC72?

skuthorp
09-24-2013, 04:58 AM
We may, or may not find out the truth. Al Shabub will be milking it for all they can and denying any foreign help regardless. The Kenyan government will be trying to put as best a gloss on the operation as possible and allay the shock within the country. Much detail is likely to be kept secret by both parties on 'operational grounds'. But probably a reasonable action by the government in the circumstances.

Curtism
09-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Does this fit the same design rule as an AC72?

Hard to say about that but (had she been born about 80 years earlier) she could well have been the styling inspiration for most of the coachwork in Peter Sibley's most excellent sports car thread. Those are some serious classic lines, I tellya.

bamamick
09-24-2013, 07:05 AM
The kid that grew up with my girls and was reported killed last week, Omar Hommani, was with Al Shabub for quite some time but the last we heard he was 'free lancing' or something (which is supposedly why he wound up dead?). I heard a report awhile back that Al Shabub was recruiting Somali immigrants in the Twin Cities and that those communities had lost several young men to the group.

I am not sure what the OP is talking about since I get almost all of my news from NPR, and NPR has been focusing on this from the beginning. Have they not been reporting these events on our television newscasts?

Mickey Lake

Michael D. Storey
09-24-2013, 07:36 AM
The stuff going in Kenya the last day two is scary. The US of A morons don't seem to register much of anything that happens outside of the US.

Hey, not much goin on in my neighborhood today. Guess I'll call the neighbors morons. That will make me look better. Can't do it on accomplishment, so the next best thing, I'll denegrate other peeps. Then I'll be a better fella. Easier than growing a spine and being happy with who I am, without having to insult others.

John Smith
09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Since you ask so politely........ who gives a turd about Kenya........ they seem perfectly able to kill their own terrorists.

regards,
Waddie

I think we need to wake up to several facts of life. Among them is how an organized group with very low tech weapons can do a great deal of damage, damage to which this country is not immune.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Morons was a poor choice of language and I apologize. I have edited the offending post.

I guess that you guys really have enough on your plate at home to keep you pretty well occupied without worrying too much about what is going on in Africa.

bamamick
09-24-2013, 08:20 AM
John, I think that the secret is not caring if in the end you don't walk out of it alive. I had an engineer I worked with tell me 30 years ago that if a person didn't care if they lived or died they could do a heck of a lot of damage in any shopping mall, church, school, etc. that they cared to enter. At the time I just thought he was nuts. Who would ever do such a thing? Now? Now I guess things are a little different.

Mickey Lake

Michael D. Storey
09-24-2013, 08:30 AM
I think we need to wake up to several facts of life. Among them is how an organized group with very low tech weapons can do a great deal of damage, damage to which this country is not immune.
I have been concerned with variations on this theme since Vietnam. I remember various technological developments touted as capable of ending the war in months, finally routing the enemy; same thing with an Apache-'greatest flying fight-platform ever developed,,,,'
I realize that no weapon answers every situation, but in the face of huge technological odds in favor of one side, the other side is remains capable of inflicting losses, protracting the conflict, etc. I would opine that technology is not the answer. Not the complete answer, anyway.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Morons was a poor choice of language and I apologize. I have edited the offending post.

I guess that you guys really have enough on your plate at home to keep you pretty well occupied without worrying too much about what is going on in Africa.

When your intention is to insult it really doesn't matter what topic is raised. I believe a similar number died in Iraq from domestic terrorists, a Church attacked in Pakistan, etc, etc.

bamamick
09-24-2013, 09:48 AM
A Christian church WAS attacked in Peshawur. Lots of concern over religious persecution in Kashmir, yes?

At least I do listen to the radio.

Mickey Lake

bogdog
09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
I only read The People's Daily, Morning Star. If it ain't in there I don't know nothin'.

Keith Wilson
09-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Americans are beyond belief.Not quite yet, alas. Some of us believe all sorts of silly things.

Durnik
09-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Hard to say about that but (had she been born about 80 years earlier) she could well have been the styling inspiration for most of the coachwork in Peter Sibley's most excellent sports car thread. Those are some serious classic lines, I tellya.

Indeed! and my thanks to all for continuing the pleasure.. Heck, let's 'do it agin'!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bobbys http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3914265#post3914265)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2y_2vyjCPz4/UkACHe4vp-I/AAAAAAACcGo/31ao53hGDuc/s1600/PDS+23+%288%29.jpg.

Bob, some of we 'muricans purely hate what's going on in much of the world (esp what we're obviously a part of/most of) - as overwhelming as that might be... 'overwhelming', at times, being the operative word.

peace
bobby

bobbys
09-24-2013, 10:55 AM

I guess that you guys really have enough on your plate at home to keep you pretty well occupied without worrying too much about what is going on in Africa..

See Bob i thought you wuz having a bad day but rather then jump on you i decided to save your thread.

Thats what good neighbors do!.

Your Welcome!

Paul Pless
09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
I personally believe the U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh...people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and...I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., err, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our...

there you have it

hokiefan
09-24-2013, 11:26 AM
there you have it

Is that brilliant quote attributed to anyone in particular? Kinda curious...

ETA - never mind, I found it.

Paul Pless
09-24-2013, 11:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Keith Wilson
09-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Awww, give Ms. Upton a break. I've heard subsequent interviews with her; she's a reasonably intelligent kid who just had a bad case of brain fade on camera, which unfortunately goes all too well with the 'dumb blonde' stereotype.

MiddleAgesMan
09-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately the vast majority of Americans are oblivious to everything around them that isn't related to pop culture and pro sports. Out of the twenty or so people I play poker with semi-regularly only one or two knew what the America's Cup was and none knew that it was being sailed at this time. One guy kept calling it the Ryder's Cup.

So is it any surprise that they don't know nor care about a terrorist attack in Africa?

Jim Bow
09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
In what ways are Canadians "registering" that Americans aren't? As a guy, sitting in Tacoma, WA, what should I be doing about the attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi?

Jim Bow
09-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately the vast majority of Americans are oblivious to everything around them that isn't related to pop culture and pro sports. Out of the twenty or so people I play poker with semi-regularly only one or two knew what the America's Cup was and none knew that it was being sailed at this time. One guy kept calling it the Ryder's Cup.

So is it any surprise that they don't know nor care about a terrorist attack in Africa?

The America's Cup is pro sports, is it not?

John Smith
09-24-2013, 12:53 PM
I'd like to plant a serious thought before I leave for various errands and a doctor visit.

This is what I fear: failing to provide promised opportunity and having more American citizens live in poverty with little or no hope, combined with easy access to weapons has great potential to do great harm in many, many places and in many ways.

If we think about those things that can drive people over the edge and make them do what they would normally not do, we should think about how to change the direction. Based on what I've heard and read, kids join gangs as a replacement family. They form new loyalties, and create new enemies.

I think we, as a nation, would be wise not to dismiss this, but to ponder ways of improving the plight of the lower classes. It is not inconceivable to me that class warfare may soon manifest itself with poor folks getting guns and simply shooting at rich folks.

Paul Pless
09-24-2013, 12:59 PM
This is what I fear: failing to provide promised opportunitymight you elaborate on this 'promised opportunity' please?

Peerie Maa
09-24-2013, 01:15 PM
The America's Cup is pro sports, is it not?

He means two teams of men in funny over the top sports strip.

johnw
09-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Well, given how our interventions in other countries have gone, I'm not sure what you want or expect us to do.

And in all sincerity, what did you intend to write when you said regider? I've tried to get it from the context, but I'm mystified.

hokiefan
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Well, given how our interventions in other countries have gone, I'm not sure what you want or expect us to do.

And in all sincerity, what did you intend to write when you said regider? I've tried to get it from the context, but I'm mystified.

He misspelled register, corrected now.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM
In what ways are Canadians "registering" that Americans aren't? As a guy, sitting in Tacoma, WA, what should I be doing about the attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi?.

I think the scientific name for what the OP means is "guilt trip"..

could also fall under... "We are better then you"

johnw
09-24-2013, 02:08 PM
He misspelled register, corrected now.

But what could that mean? Of course we're aware of it, it's on the front page and all the networks covered it. Does he mean we're supposed to do something?

bob winter
09-24-2013, 02:11 PM

"Regider" is a real bad typo. Should be register.

According to the CBC, it is far from sure that the thing in Kenya is over yet. Government says one thing, terrorists say another. At least 62 dead, including 2 Canadians, and something like 150 wounded. Then there was that church thing in Pakistan. Is there any solution?

johnw
09-24-2013, 02:34 PM
"Regider" is a real bad typo. Should be register.

According to the CBC, it is far from sure that the thing in Kenya is over yet. Government says one thing, terrorists say another. At least 62 dead, including 2 Canadians, and something like 150 wounded. Then there was that church thing in Pakistan. Is there any solution?

I usually don't bust people for typos, but it was mysterious. My main point was, what are Americans supposed to be doing that they aren't? It's a horrible situation, but it's in Kenya, it involves terrorists from Somalia, so why are Americans unbelievable? Are we more involved than, say, the British, who are the former colonial power, or Kenya's neighbors?

Or the Belgians?

Paul Pless
09-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Are we more involved than, say, the British, who are the former colonial power, or Kenya's neighbors?

Or the Belgians?

and just what exactly are the Can'tadiens doing?

bobbys
09-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Glenn would know what to do....

bob winter
09-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Canada can't do much of anything. It's not as if we really had an army.

Paul Pless
09-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Canada can't do much of anything. It's not as if we really had an army.y'all should get yourselves some drones

johnw
09-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Canada can't do much of anything. It's not as if we really had an army.

And it's not as if an army solves the problem. Remember, we've already tried landing the marines in Somalia.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
I guess the question should be if there is a solution or not.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 03:43 PM
I guess the question should be if there is a solution or not..

Lets review, You have no Answer but you said we are beyond belief and "morons'...

What is revealing here is your disdain for the US...

Somehow you connected the dots from us to this Incident..

We did not even have all the information.

What was in your mind when you started this thread?

gilberj
09-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I think this thread was really more about the American response to these issues going on "over there". I have to say it puzzles me because I know quite a few Americans, and really like nearly all those I know. They are generally pretty reasonable and informed people. That includes some of the charactars playing in this sandbox.
I really struggle with some of the really profoundly weird S4!t I see coming from some directions in the US of A. Its not like we Cannuks don't have some weird S4!t as well, specially since we inherited "steve the dictator" but I think some of your weird S4!t really makes ours remarkably un-remarkable.
I have to say I have not bothered to see what the American response to these issues has been. Been occupied with my own weird S4!t and have much less than my usual level of interest in monitoring others.

I do think it is often wrong headed to think we might have the right answers, and that we can fix their problems. That is probably not the whole solution though. Supposing your neighbour is abusing his family, you have an obligation to do something. It must be noted that most of this tension in the middle East (mostly Muslim ) has root that can be traced back to stuff the (Americans and Brits mainly) West has done in the past....We were instumental in creating the problems to begin with and we do not have moral authority, by simply forgetting the past.

johnw
09-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I think this thread was really more about the American response to these issues going on "over there". I have to say it puzzles me because I know quite a few Americans, and really like nearly all those I know. They are generally pretty reasonable and informed people. That includes some of the charactars playing in this sandbox.
I really struggle with some of the really profoundly weird S4!t I see coming from some directions in the US of A. Its not like we Cannuks don't have some weird S4!t as well, specially since we inherited "steve the dictator" but I think some of your weird S4!t really makes ours remarkably un-remarkable.
I have to say I have not bothered to see what the American response to these issues has been. Been occupied with my own weird S4!t and have much less than my usual level of interest in monitoring others.

I do think it is often wrong headed to think we might have the right answers, and that we can fix their problems. That is probably not the whole solution though. Supposing your neighbour is abusing his family, you have an obligation to do something. It must be noted that most of this tension in the middle East (mostly Muslim ) has root that can be traced back to stuff the (Americans and Brits mainly) West has done in the past....We were instumental in creating the problems to begin with and we do not have moral authority, by simply forgetting the past.

America doesn't have a lot of history in Africa. We set up Liberia, then cut it loose. We sent troops to Somalia, and it didn't work out, so we pulled out.

Yes, we're called a super power, but we don't have super powers. Unlike Clark Kent, if Uncle Sam takes off his suit, he's just naked, not even a cape. I don't see how we can intervene in a way that doesn't create more problems than it solves. If we've learned anything from the neoconservative foreign policy followed by the Bush/Cheney administration, it's a small measure of humility.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Lets review, You have no Answer but you said we are beyond belief and "morons'...

What was in your mind when you started this thread?.

waiting.....

oznabrag
09-24-2013, 05:12 PM

waiting.....

I thought you were a roofer, but now you say you're a waiter!

I don't know what to think, anymore!

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 05:16 PM
The stuff going in Kenya the last day two is scary. Citizens of the US of A don't seem to register much of anything that happens outside of the US.

Disdain for US attitudes to the rest of the world ? Sounds about right to me.

Bigcountryitis.

Reynard38
09-24-2013, 05:20 PM

Celebrate Diversity! Never say the terrorists discriminate.
My company was going to start serving Kenya a few years ago with direct flights. Homeland security and the TSA said no way. Apparently they felt Kenya was too risky to allow direct flights to the US.

jclays
09-24-2013, 05:22 PM
And what do you propose we do about it? I don't hear any noise from Canada..

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
And what do you propose we do about it? I don't hear any noise from Canada..

Bob was , I believe, talking about the lack of reporting, not DOING anything about it .Shudder.

CWSmith
09-24-2013, 05:49 PM

I don't know why you say that. It's been all over the news and commentary that I watch. I don't know what we could do. Aside from some misguided Americans fighting for that group, there is little we can do. It is a police action, even if they use the military to perform it, and an internal matter within that country. Are you sure that you've thought this through?

johnw
09-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Bob was , I believe, talking about the lack of reporting, not DOING anything about it .Shudder.

No, we got the reporting, right there on the front page of my morning paper. Thing is, we don't have a plan for dealing with it, but Bob does: Blame America.

It's like we're a malevolent God to him.

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't think anyone what's the US to DO anything about it, the US's method of solving problems is a problem.

johnw
09-24-2013, 06:23 PM
I don't think anyone what's the US to DO anything about it, the US's method of solving problems is a problem.

Yes, everything that goes wrong in the world is our fault, either because we did nothing or tried to do something. The expectations of the world for us are to be godlike, and sadly, we are not.

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes, everything that goes wrong in the world is our fault, either because we did nothing or tried to do something. The expectations of the world for us are to be godlike, and sadly, we are not.

I wouldn't say that even though you suggest it, but long term actions do have their reflections as time progresses. The US has been meddling to it's own advantage for a long time and frankly the world is very forgiving.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 06:35 PM
America doesn't have a lot of history in Africa. We set up Liberia, then cut it loose. We sent troops to Somalia, and it didn't work out, so we pulled out.

Yes, we're called a super power, but we don't have super powers. Unlike Clark Kent, if Uncle Sam takes off his suit, he's just naked, not even a cape. I don't see how we can intervene in a way that doesn't create more problems than it solves. If we've learned anything from the neoconservative foreign policy followed by the Bush/Cheney administration, it's a small measure of humility.

JohnW, I'm under the impression we're very much involved in Africa but with small units and covert activity through proxies. In 2007 the US assisted/facillitated the invasion of Somalia by Ethiopean forces. It didn't go well. Jeremy Scahills book Dirty Wars describes how the GWOT continues on by other names. It's amazing how much we do never makes it to The MSM.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/4/24/the_world_is_a_battlefield_jeremy

And we’re using—you know, we’re in a world right now where the U.S. is using proxies, that effectively are death squads, in Somalia to hunt down people that the U.S. has determined are enemies. We’re using mercenaries.
AMY GOODMAN: Jeremy Scahill, you did original reporting. You discovered a secret prison, U.S. prison, in Somalia.
JEREMY SCAHILL: Well, it wasn’t a U.S. prison. It was—when I flew into Aden Adde Airport in Mogadishu in the summer of 2011, when we landed, Rick Rowley and I, we saw this large—I don’t know how to describe it other than it looked like a forward operating base that you would see in Afghanistan, but it had this sort of pink paint on it, and Somalis call it the "pink house." And we discovered that it was a new counterterrorism center that the CIA and military intelligence were running in Somalia, and they were training and preparing a Somali task force to go down and hunt members of the radical group Al Shabab, which pledged its allegiance to al-Qaeda. And they were paying the Somalis $200 in cash each month to work on this task force.

AMY GOODMAN: What about JSOC and the covert wars on the African continent?
JEREMY SCAHILL: Yeah, I mean, this is a—this is an interesting story that’s only starting to come out into light right now. I mean, JSOC, for some years, has been involved in Mali in fighting against al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, and you have actions going on in Mali and Mauritania and, you know, very small-scale, discreet presence, working alongside French special operations forces. And, you know, the U.S. has been looking at doing drone strikes also in Africa.
But JSOC has a base in Kenya, and in fact that was where the operation to take down the pirates in April of 2009 took place, when the Somali pirates had taken the Maersk Alabama, which was a defense contractor ship, which seldom gets mentioned, that part of it. And the SEAL Team 6 was deployed from, you know, Kenya, and they went, and they sniper-shot the Somalis, and they rescued the captain. And that was one of the first times that Obama really understood the full power of JSOC, like the kind of force that he had, and, you know, had McRaven into the White House after that, and they had this whole sort of solidification of their relationship.
But a lot of the activity in Africa for the first part of the Obama administration centered in East Africa. And under President Obama, a number of leading al-Qaeda figures were assassinated. You had Saleh Ali Nabhan, was killed in September of 2009. President Obama authorized JSOC to actually go into Somalia in helicopters, and they went in, and they gunned him down, and then they landed. And they took Nabhan’s body—and I tell this whole story in the book. They took Nabhan’s body, and they flew it out to the sea, and they buried him at sea. We know that that’s the story about what happened with Osama bin Laden’s body.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 07:21 PM

My family was here something like 300 years ago in what is now the USA,

We supported the crown as opposed to the terrorists (George W and friends). As far as I am concerned, the USA is a hotbed of terrorists. They will eventually fall, and that may, or may not be a good thing,

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:28 PM

We supported the crown as opposed to the terrorists (George W and friends). As far as I am concerned, the USA is a hotbed of terrorists. They will eventually fall, and that mat, or may not be a good thing,

Talk about holding a grudge.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Talk about holding a grudge.

It is only a few years. You will eventually come back into the fold. Misguided bastards!

Donn
09-24-2013, 07:32 PM

We supported the crown as opposed to the terrorists (George W and friends). As far as I am concerned, the USA is a hotbed of terrorists. They will eventually fall, and that mat, or may not be a good thing,

Worth saving, pending a sober edit.

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't say that even though you suggest it, but long term actions do have their reflections as time progresses. The US has been meddling to it's own advantage for a long time and frankly the world is very forgiving.

Well, it's a relief to know that we were meddling for out own advantage, instead of some stranger's. What were you expecting? An omniscient, omnipotent, and benevolent country?

There's never been one.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 07:33 PM

So the attack in Kenya inspires you to call the US a hotbed of terrorists and populated by morons. Ok.

What else is new?

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:34 PM
It is only a few years. You will eventually come back into the fold. Misguided bastards!

A few years! We haven't tried to invade you since at least 1815, and I personally was not part of that. Will the grudge expire after 200 years?

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
JohnW, I'm under the impression we're very much involved in Africa but with small units and covert activity through proxies. In 2007 the US assisted/facillitated the invasion of Somalia by Ethiopean forces. It didn't go well. Jeremy Scahills book Dirty Wars describes how the GWOT continues on by other names. It's amazing how much we do never makes it to The MSM.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/4/24/the_world_is_a_battlefield_jeremy

And we’re using—you know, we’re in a world right now where the U.S. is using proxies, that effectively are death squads, in Somalia to hunt down people that the U.S. has determined are enemies. We’re using mercenaries.
AMY GOODMAN: Jeremy Scahill, you did original reporting. You discovered a secret prison, U.S. prison, in Somalia.
JEREMY SCAHILL: Well, it wasn’t a U.S. prison. It was—when I flew into Aden Adde Airport in Mogadishu in the summer of 2011, when we landed, Rick Rowley and I, we saw this large—I don’t know how to describe it other than it looked like a forward operating base that you would see in Afghanistan, but it had this sort of pink paint on it, and Somalis call it the "pink house." And we discovered that it was a new counterterrorism center that the CIA and military intelligence were running in Somalia, and they were training and preparing a Somali task force to go down and hunt members of the radical group Al Shabab, which pledged its allegiance to al-Qaeda. And they were paying the Somalis $200 in cash each month to work on this task force.

AMY GOODMAN: What about JSOC and the covert wars on the African continent?
JEREMY SCAHILL: Yeah, I mean, this is a—this is an interesting story that’s only starting to come out into light right now. I mean, JSOC, for some years, has been involved in Mali in fighting against al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, and you have actions going on in Mali and Mauritania and, you know, very small-scale, discreet presence, working alongside French special operations forces. And, you know, the U.S. has been looking at doing drone strikes also in Africa.
But JSOC has a base in Kenya, and in fact that was where the operation to take down the pirates in April of 2009 took place, when the Somali pirates had taken the Maersk Alabama, which was a defense contractor ship, which seldom gets mentioned, that part of it. And the SEAL Team 6 was deployed from, you know, Kenya, and they went, and they sniper-shot the Somalis, and they rescued the captain. And that was one of the first times that Obama really understood the full power of JSOC, like the kind of force that he had, and, you know, had McRaven into the White House after that, and they had this whole sort of solidification of their relationship.
But a lot of the activity in Africa for the first part of the Obama administration centered in East Africa. And under President Obama, a number of leading al-Qaeda figures were assassinated. You had Saleh Ali Nabhan, was killed in September of 2009. President Obama authorized JSOC to actually go into Somalia in helicopters, and they went in, and they gunned him down, and then they landed. And they took Nabhan’s body—and I tell this whole story in the book. They took Nabhan’s body, and they flew it out to the sea, and they buried him at sea. We know that that’s the story about what happened with Osama bin Laden’s body.

Ah, so we do regider!

bob winter
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
A few years! We haven't tried to invade you since at least 1815, and I personally was not part of that. Will the grudge expire after 200 years?

The grudge will not expire until we have our confiscated lands returned.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Ah, so we do regider!

John, a typo is a typo. Not a good thing to start posting after drinks.

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:47 PM
The grudge will not expire until we have our confiscated lands returned.

We both live on stolen ground, as do the Aussies and the Enzeders. If all confiscated land goes back to the First Peoples, they'll have to decide which lands they give back to each other, counting their way back through all the wars they can remember. Rumor has it that I have some Native American blood in me, so maybe I'm in line to return something to part of myself.

And some of my ancestors ended up here because of the enclosure acts, so the acts of theft go back to England as well. It gets a little confusing, because the land of my Anglo-Saxon ancestors was stolen by my Norman ancestors, but I demand redress for that as well.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Ah, so we do regider!

Heck yeah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Africa_Command

In mid-2006, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld formed a planning team to advise on requirements for establishing a new Unified Command for the African continent. In early December, he made his recommendations to President George W. Bush.[16][17]
On 6 February 2007, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced to the Senate Armed Services Committee that President George W. Bush had given authority to create the new African Command and[18] U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Robert Moeller, the director of the AFRICOM transition team, arrived in Stuttgart Germany to begin creating the logistical framework for the command.[19][20] On 28 September the U.S. Senate confirmed General William E. "Kip" Ward as AFRICOM's first commander and AFRICOM officially became operational as a sub-unified command of EUCOM with a separate headquarters.[21] On 1 October 2008, the command separated from USEUCOM and began operating on its own as a full fledged combatant command.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/drone-safety-concerns-force-us-to-move-large-fleet-from-camp-lemonnier-in-djibouti/2013/09/24/955518c4-213c-11e3-a03d-abbedc3a047c_story.html

The Pentagon has temporarily moved the unmanned aircraft from the U.S. base in Djibouti’s capital to a makeshift airstrip in a more remote part of the country. U.S. military officials said the disruption has not affected their overall ability to launch drone strikes in the region, but they declined to say whether it has forced them to curtail the frequency of drone missions or hindered their surveillance of al-Shabab camps and fighters.

The Djiboutian government’s growing unease over drone flights casts doubt on its commitment to host the aircraft over the long term. It is unclear whether the temporary drone base can be transformed into a permanent home or whether the U.S. military will have to hunt for another site in the region, according to previously undisclosed correspondence between the Defense Department and Congress.

That uncertainty raises fresh questions about the Pentagon’s plan to invest more than $1 billion to upgrade Camp Lemonnier into a major regional base, supporting operations throughout Africa, as well as in parts of the Arabian Peninsula and Indian Ocean. Those plans include a $228 million compound to house up to 700 personnel from the highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command.

More broadly, however, the concerns about drone safety present a strategic challenge for the Pentagon as it begins to shift more of the robot planes to new frontiers, where they must share congested airspace with commercial aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Africa

The command's mission statement explains that USARAF/SETAF protects and defends the national security interests of the United States, strengthens African land forces and regional organizations, supports AFRICOM, and conducts military operations in order to deter and defeat violent extremist organizations and create a secure environment in Africa.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposition_Matrix

The Disposition Matrix database catalogues biographies, locations, associates, and affiliations of suspects. It also catalogues strategies for finding, capturing, or killing suspects, or subjecting them to extraordinary rendition.[1] The database continues to direct American operations in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen, and will facilitate expanded operations in Algeria, Egypt, Mali, Libya, Iran, and throughout east Africa.[1]
A clear example of the expansion of targeted killing as managed by the database is the U.S. military base in Djibouti City, Djibouti, near Somalia.[6] Called Camp Lemonnier and originally created by the French Foreign Legion, the camp has clandestinely become the largest U.S. drone base outside Afghanistan. About 3,200 U.S. soldiers, contractors and civilians are assigned to the camp, 300 of whom are special operations personnel.[6]
One terrorism suspect on the Disposition Matrix is Somali citizen Ahmed Abdulkadir Warsame, currently a prisoner of the United States being held in New York.[1]

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Sorry, I'll let it go. It was so gloriously incomprehensible that I thought I'd have some fun with it. If you can't have fun with it, I won't either.

CWSmith
09-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Interesting. Not to accuse you, but I have noticed that the postings of some prominent bilge rats grow less coherent as the evening passes. They also grow more offensive.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 07:52 PM
We both live on stolen ground, as do the Aussies and the Enzeders. If all confiscated land goes back to the First Peoples, they'll have to decide which lands they give back to each other, counting their way back through all the wars they can remember. Rumor has it that I have some Native American blood in me, so maybe I'm in line to return something to part of myself.

And some of my ancestors ended up here because of the enclosure acts, so the acts of theft go back to England as well. It gets a little confusing, because the land of my Anglo-Saxon ancestors was stolen by my Norman ancestors, but I demand redress for that as well.

You are quite correct on that one. However, returning the land to the fist peoples is not in the cards. Can't trust those damn Normans, a tricky lot.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 07:52 PM

We supported the crown as opposed to the terrorists (George W and friends). As far as I am concerned, the USA is a hotbed of terrorists. They will eventually fall, and that may, or may not be a good thing,.

My family floated over in inner tubes sometime in the past but i do not know how thats relevant.

Im not surprised you think George time traveled but its really a hail Mary pass on your part to gin up some Bush/war hate,.

divert the conversation and draw some libs in.

However even our libs are not that dumb...

Who are our "terrorists", I mean like dude i would tell you if Shania Twain went hip hop.

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Heck yeah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Africa_Command

In mid-2006, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld formed a planning team to advise on requirements for establishing a new Unified Command for the African continent. In early December, he made his recommendations to President George W. Bush.[16][17]
On 6 February 2007, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced to the Senate Armed Services Committee that President George W. Bush had given authority to create the new African Command and[18] U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Robert Moeller, the director of the AFRICOM transition team, arrived in Stuttgart Germany to begin creating the logistical framework for the command.[19][20] On 28 September the U.S. Senate confirmed General William E. "Kip" Ward as AFRICOM's first commander and AFRICOM officially became operational as a sub-unified command of EUCOM with a separate headquarters.[21] On 1 October 2008, the command separated from USEUCOM and began operating on its own as a full fledged combatant command.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/drone-safety-concerns-force-us-to-move-large-fleet-from-camp-lemonnier-in-djibouti/2013/09/24/955518c4-213c-11e3-a03d-abbedc3a047c_story.html

The Pentagon has temporarily moved the unmanned aircraft from the U.S. base in Djibouti’s capital to a makeshift airstrip in a more remote part of the country. U.S. military officials said the disruption has not affected their overall ability to launch drone strikes in the region, but they declined to say whether it has forced them to curtail the frequency of drone missions or hindered their surveillance of al-Shabab camps and fighters.

The Djiboutian government’s growing unease over drone flights casts doubt on its commitment to host the aircraft over the long term. It is unclear whether the temporary drone base can be transformed into a permanent home or whether the U.S. military will have to hunt for another site in the region, according to previously undisclosed correspondence between the Defense Department and Congress.

That uncertainty raises fresh questions about the Pentagon’s plan to invest more than $1 billion to upgrade Camp Lemonnier into a major regional base, supporting operations throughout Africa, as well as in parts of the Arabian Peninsula and Indian Ocean. Those plans include a $228 million compound to house up to 700 personnel from the highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command.

More broadly, however, the concerns about drone safety present a strategic challenge for the Pentagon as it begins to shift more of the robot planes to new frontiers, where they must share congested airspace with commercial aircraft.

Wait, drone safety? Are we worried about the safety of the drones, or the safety of the people they kill? It's a weapon, is it supposed to be safe?

More seriously, those drones are piloted by people remotely, and as for robot drones, which I don't think have come on line yet, the technology is being considered for commercial airliners, so it better be safe in the air lanes.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Interesting. Not to accuse you, but I have noticed that the postings of some prominent bilge rats grow less coherent as the evening passes. They also grow more offensive.

Could be some truth to that. Best to cut off after 3 drinks.

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:55 PM
You are quite correct on that one. However, returning the land to the fist peoples is not in the cards. Can't trust those damn Normans, a tricky lot.

Ah, so we can't give it back to the original owners, so we should give it back to an earlier thief. Got it.

CWSmith
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM

Depends. Some grow mellow. Others not so much. We can always use more mellow. Personally, there is no alcohol in the house, so I don't have that excuse.

johnw
09-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Bob, I wasn't offended by the opening post as it originally stood. I was mystified and amused, both of which are things I enjoy.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 08:01 PM
I thought you were a roofer, but now you say you're a waiter!

I don't know what to think, anymore!.

Waiter?

Thats a absurd thing to say.

who would tip me?

bob winter
09-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Ah, so we can't give it back to the original owners, so we should give it back to an earlier thief. Got it.

I would be happy to give it back to them but I wonder where we would end up.In the middle of the ocean, maybe? My grandfather was a blood brother to a tribe so I may have an exemption.

Paul Girouard
09-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Who the heck are the "fist" people? How many drinks you had tonight Bob-bo? I do agree with you about not trusting Norman, he posts to many left wing ramblings for me to trust him!

Tongue firmly in cheek eh Bob! Keep yer stick on the ice big guy! LOL

bobbys
09-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Disdain for US attitudes to the rest of the world ? Sounds about right to me.

Bigcountryitis..

I see so Hamilton Burger approaches the stand and links "bigcountryitis" to the Mall massacre in Kenya..

No wonder Perry Mason won every case!

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 08:08 PM

I see so Hamilton Burger approaches the stand and links "bigcountryitis" to the Mall massacre in Kenya..

No wonder Perry Mason won every case!

Oh dear sorry bobby I was offering you a place to hide but if you want to stick your little ears up over the top .

i'm learning to talk like bobby .

johnw
09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
I would be happy to give it back to them but I wonder where we would end up.In the middle of the ocean, maybe? My grandfather was a blood brother to a tribe so I may have an exemption.

And where would I go? Back to England, Scotland, and Denmark, where my most recent ancestors came from?

Which one?

bob winter
09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Who the heck are the "fist" people? How many drinks you had tonight Bob-bo? I do agree with you about not trusting Norman, he posts to many left wing ramblings for me to trust him!

Tongue firmly in cheek eh Bob! Keep yer stick on the ice big guy! LOL

Should be first not fist as you well know.

Sorry about the booze thing but we are on a death watch for the mother of a good friend. Not fun but we have to be there when needed. Thank God it is mostly the wife at the moment. I have a hard time watching somebody going down but I will be there tomorrow.

Paul Girouard
09-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh dear sorry bobby I was offering you a place to hide but if you want to stick your little ears up over the top .

i'm learning to talk like bobby .

It'll never work, besides we can tell it you cuz of yer funny Aussie accent!

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 08:12 PM
I yam what I yam but I can sound like I'm talking from the mall if I want to.

Howzat ?

Paul Girouard
09-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Sorry about the booze thing but we are on a death watch for the mother of a good friend. Not fun but we have to be there when needed. Thank God it is mostly the wife at the moment. I have a hard time watching somebody going down but I will be there tomorrow.

Good excuse as any, if you need one , to self medicate while destroying your liver. What ever floats yer boat Bob.

You must have missed or didn't understand the wise crack about Norman as not in the Normans.

Pop a top again!

johnw
09-24-2013, 08:16 PM

Been there, done that. Best wishes.

As I said in post # 50, I wasn't offended by the op.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Howzat ?.

put another shrimp on the barbie mate.

Howsdat?

bob winter
09-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Good excuse as any, if you need one , to self medicate while destroying your liver. What ever floats yer boat Bob.

You must have missed or didn't understand the wise crack about Norman as not in the Normans.

Pop a top again!

No self medication, just things are a bit tense at the moment so ii is easy to have one too much.

Liver is fine. So the quack tells me. I didn't miss the norman thing, just decided to ignore it.

Paul Girouard
09-24-2013, 08:22 PM
No self medication, just things are a bit tense at the moment so ii is easy to have one too much.

Liver is fine. So the quack tells me. I didn't miss the norman thing, just decided to ignore it.

So you've never heard of drinking booze as "self medicating"? Divided by a common language , or so it seems. Carry on Bob, hell you got health care so party on Garth! As you Nob's say.

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 08:23 PM

put another shrimp on the barbie mate.

Howsdat?

Prawn bobbys prawn, he only said shrimp so you guys would understand .

Not bad , 7/10.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
So you've never heard of drinking booze as "self medicating"? Divided by a common language , or so it seems. Carry on Bob, hell you got health care so party on Garth! As you Nob's say.

How old are you exactly? I will outlive you by a healthy margin. Some kind of abstainer are you? Sure way to an early death.

bobbys
09-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Prawn bobbys prawn, he only said shrimp so you guys would understand .

Not bad , 7/10..

I watch the TV commercials for the OUTBACK restaurant so im a bit of a authority on how Austrians speak.

bob winter
09-24-2013, 08:36 PM
a prawn is a giant shrimp.

johnw
09-24-2013, 08:40 PM
How old are you exactly? I will outlive you by a healthy margin. Some kind of abstainer are you? Sure way to an early death.

So, you challenging him to a tontine?

johnw
09-24-2013, 08:41 PM
a prawn is a giant shrimp.

Oh, great. Now I'm going to have nightmares about giant shrimp attacking the boat.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Oh, great. Now I'm going to have nightmares about giant shrimp attacking the boat.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4760916549828851&pid=1.9&w=300&h=300&p=0

bobbys
09-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Liver is fine. So the quack tells me. I didn't miss the norman thing, just decided to ignore it..

So you were so overtaken with grief you thought the best move would be to start a thread calling us Morons and Terrorists?

johnw
09-24-2013, 08:58 PM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4760916549828851&pid=1.9&w=300&h=300&p=0

You're not helping.

Paul Girouard
09-24-2013, 09:03 PM

57 Bob, used to drink and I'm pretty sure I could have drunk you under the table. Not many of my navy buddies could out drink me in the day. I did quit drinking about 10 years ago, it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. But hey, if you want to continue drinking it's no skin off my as$$, have at it.

But historically, and medically speaking , you know drinking isn't good for a person's body.

But like I've said , go for it! Everyone dies of something.

How you think you KNOW you'll outlive me by a health margin is pure bullsh!t , few know when they'll pass, the ones that do know, aren't as lucky as most folks.

If you enjoy the hangovers your either tougher than I was , or you're totally addicted to the booze and your fooling yourself by saying there not so bad. Take your choice, again it's no skin off my a$$.

CWSmith
09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Few things are more amusing than being sober in the company of drunks.

Few things are more annoying than being sober in the company of drunks.

All this talk of shrimp is making me hungry.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 09:13 PM

So you were so overtaken with grief you thought the best move would be to start a thread calling us Morons and Terrorists?

That appears to be his excuse

johnw
09-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Few things are more amusing than being sober in the company of drunks.

Few things are more annoying than being sober in the company of drunks.

All this talk of shrimp is making me hungry.

In college, I soon discovered that if I stayed a drink behind the others, I'd be the smartest person in the room, and if I switched to water at the right time, I'd be the envy of all on hangover morning.

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 09:34 PM

I watch the TV commercials for the OUTBACK restaurant so im a bit of a authority on how Austrians speak.

I bow to your expertise .|:)

moTthediesel
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Well Bob, things have been pretty quiet here of the St. Lawrence frontier since about 1838, and we're very sorry about that whole Battle of the Windmill/Patriot War thing -- trust me, it was a misunderstanding! No sense stirring things up now is there? Look at me, as an all-American Yankee doodle boy, I've been very happily married to a slap-shooting, rock sliding, Canadian gal from Winterpeg for 30 years now. It's all good -- hands across the water buddy!

Tom

CWSmith
09-24-2013, 10:16 PM
In college, I soon discovered that if I stayed a drink behind the others, I'd be the smartest person in the room, and if I switched to water at the right time, I'd be the envy of all on hangover morning.

Very good! I like that.

johnw
09-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Well Bob, things have been pretty quiet here of the St. Lawrence frontier since about 1838, and we're very sorry about that whole Battle of the Windmill/Patriot War thing -- trust me, it was a misunderstanding! No sense stirring things up now is there? Look at me, as an all-American Yankee doodle boy, I've been very happily married to a slap-shooting, rock sliding, Canadian gal from Winterpeg for 30 years now. It's all good -- hands across the water buddy!

Tom

So, are you ready to forget and forgive the Pig War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War)?

hokiefan
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM

In college I wasn't nearly that smart.

PeterSibley
09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
In college I wasn't nearly that smart.

I've had 2 hangovers, they were enough.

LeeG
09-24-2013, 10:41 PM
My ontribution

http://o.canada.com/2013/09/24/robert-wilkinson-drunk-bohemian-rhapsody-police-car-mayor-edson-alberta/

Curtism
09-25-2013, 03:46 AM
As you've been told repeatedly, Bobbys, and since the bearer of that truth isn't here to relay the message in person (speaking of button pushers) yet again, you are no darn good.

Curtism
09-25-2013, 03:52 AM

Waiter?

Thats a absurd thing to say.

who would tip me?

I just gave you a tip. (See: post #136 :p)

jclays
09-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Why does the United States have to do anything about it? It is in Kenya not in a mall somewhere in America. Let other countries solve their own problems. They do have a police force and military. We've reported on it as we report on events happening elsewhere. Not our problem.

PeterSibley
09-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Why does the United States have to do anything about it? It is in Kenya not in a mall somewhere in America. Let other countries solve their own problems. They do have a police force and military. We've reported on it as we report on events happening elsewhere. Not our problem.

Um, that's what I said .

jclays
09-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Um, that's what I said .
Cool..

Paul Pless
09-25-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't think anyone what's the US to DO anything about it, the US's method of solving problems is a problem.To be fair, there's probably not too many folks in Kenya that wants the U.S. to get involved. And further, there really are no good solutions to the crisis at this point. From the very beginning the only way this was gonna end was badly, regardless of whose military/police force intervened. . .

S.V. Airlie
09-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Howzat ?Good as saying; "How much is it?"

LeeG
09-25-2013, 11:32 AM

US is actively involved paying Kenyans to kill Al Shahab terrorists and other warlords in Somalia and elsewhere. We're ankle deep in Africa and there's little likelyhood our involvement will diminish.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/08/obama-proxy-wars-africa

The U.S. Army/Flickr
This story first appeared on the TomDispatch website.

In the 1980s, the US government began funneling aid to mujahedeen rebels in Afghanistan as part of an American proxy war against the Soviet Union. It was, in the minds of America's Cold War leaders, a rare chance to bloody the Soviets, to give them a taste of the sort of defeat the Vietnamese, with Soviet help, had inflicted on Washington the decade before. In 1989, after years of bloody combat, the Red Army did indeed limp out of Afghanistan in defeat. Since late 2001, the United States has been fighting its former Afghan proxies and their progeny. Now, after years of bloody combat, it's the US that's looking to withdraw the bulk of its forces and once again employ proxies to secure its interests there.

From Asia and Africa to the Middle East and the Americas, the Obama administration is increasingly embracing a multifaceted, light-footprint brand of warfare. Gone, for the moment at least, are the days of full-scale invasions of the Eurasian mainland. Instead, Washington is now planning to rely ever more heavily on drones and special operations forces to fight scattered global enemies on the cheap. A centerpiece of this new American way of war is the outsourcing of fighting duties to local proxies around the world.

While the United States is currently engaged in just one outright proxy war, backing a multi-nation African force to battle Islamist militants in Somalia, it's laying the groundwork for the extensive use of surrogate forces in the future, training "native" troops to carry out missions—up to and including outright warfare. With this in mind and under the auspices of the Pentagon and the State Department, US military personnel now take part in near-constant joint exercises and training missions around the world aimed at fostering alliances, building coalitions, and whipping surrogate forces into shape to support US national security objectives.

Under President Obama, operations in Africa have accelerated far beyond the more limited interventions of the Bush years. These include last year's war in Libya; the expansion of a growing network of supply depots, small camps, and airfields;a regional drone campaign with missions run out of Djibouti, Ethiopia, and the Indian Ocean archipelago nation of Seychelles; a flotilla of 30 ships in that ocean supporting regional operations; a massive influx of cash for counterterrorism operations across East Africa; a possible old-fashioned air war, carried out on the sly in the region using manned aircraft; and a special ops expeditionary force (bolstered by State Department experts) dispatched to help capture or kill Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) leader Joseph Kony and his senior commanders. (This mission against Kony is seen by some experts as a cover for a developing proxy war between the US and the Islamist government of Sudan—which is accused of helping to support the LRA—and Islamists more generally.) And this only begins to scratch the surface of Washington's fast-expanding plans and activities in the region.

In Somalia, Washington has already involved itself in a multi-pronged military and CIA campaign against Islamist al-Shabaab militants that includes intelligence operations, training for Somali agents, a secret prison, helicopter attacks, and commando raids. Now, it is also backing a classic proxy war using African surrogates. The United States has become, as the Los Angeles Times put it recently, "the driving force behind the fighting in Somalia," as it trains and equips African foot soldiers to battle Shabaab militants, so US forces won't have to. In a country where more than 90 Americans were killed and wounded in a 1993 debacle now known by the shorthand "Black Hawk Down," today's fighting and dying has been outsourced to African soldiers.

PhaseLockedLoop
09-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Well, it's a relief to know that we were meddling for out own advantage, instead of some stranger's. What were you expecting? An omniscient, omnipotent, and benevolent country?

There's never been one.

I agree.

Probably some folks were mislead by all the "humanitarian intervention" hoo-hah, and the enthusiasm for overthrowing "bad people" who were at the head of other countries, thereby saving their people from horrid dictators who "kill their own people."

Plus this kind of silly twaddle:

“Some may disagree, but I believe that America is exceptional — in part because we have shown a willingness, through the sacrifice of blood and treasure, to stand up not only for our own narrow self-interest, but for the interests of all.” --Obama to the UN

Think too about all the people who imagine that we're squandering money helping people in other countries to attain democracy, and who are indignant that the helped people aren't even appreciative. We should just stop helping foreigners and use the money to pay off the debt! Enough Gordon Good$hit! We gotta toughen up!

johnw
09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I agree.

Probably some folks were mislead by all the "humanitarian intervention" hoo-hah, and the enthusiasm for overthrowing "bad people" who were at the head of other countries, thereby saving their people from horrid dictators who "kill their own people."

Plus this kind of silly twaddle:

“Some may disagree, but I believe that America is exceptional — in part because we have shown a willingness, through the sacrifice of blood and treasure, to stand up not only for our own narrow self-interest, but for the interests of all.” --Obama to the UN

Think too about all the people who imagine that we're squandering money helping people in other countries to attain democracy, and who are indignant that the helped people aren't even appreciative. We should just stop helping foreigners and use the money to pay off the debt! Enough Gordon Good$hit! We gotta toughen up!

'Cause look at how well being tough has worked in the past.

PeterSibley
09-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Good as saying; "How much is it?"

Emmachisit ?