PDA

View Full Version : Is this America?

sleek
09-22-2013, 07:27 PM
http://patriotupdate.com/2013/09/america-parent-arrested-speaking-common-core/

Ian McColgin
09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Well, the cited story says, "While the format called for questions to be written on a piece of paper and given to the panel, Small stood in the audience and criticized the curriculum’s lower educational standards, saying children were being prepared for community colleges, according to the Baltimore Sun."

Mr. Small apparantly felt either that he could make his point better by way of a deliberate civil disobedience or that he was entitled to speak when others were not. That's fine.

Jim Bow
09-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Why didn't he write his questions for submission, just like everyone else did? Some people are simply so self important that they must push to the head of the line, and seek to be heard by making more noise than the other folks.

sleek
09-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I posted this to see what folks reactions and opinions were to it. I should admit at the start, this site leans right to the point of almost falling over. I think that the guy really should have followed the format if he didnt expect to be thrown out the meeting. I do not blame security for throwing him out. But I believe the charges are extreme and unjust. Though I do have a hard time not defending somebody whose complaint is the inadequacy of the school system.

Keith Wilson
09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Here's an article in the Baltimore Sun (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-09-20/news/bs-md-co-common-core-arrest-20130920_1_police-officer-common-core-new-curriculum), a mainstream newspaper, which says pretty much the same thing. Whether one agrees with him or not, it seems the guy was being pretty disruptive in the meeting, and I see why he was removed. OTOH, I agree that the charges seem excessive. Just taking him out of the meeting should have been enough, i think.

Captain Intrepid
09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Part of civil disobedience isn't whining like a little baby when you're arrested.

sleek
09-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Meaning that whining like a little baby isnt civil disobedience? Just making sure I read you right....

Ian McColgin
09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Sometimes hard to tell it all apart. One strategy is to try to make the other side appear as an oppressor. Work the crowd for some sympathy. The problem with that strategy is that it appears as whining if it does not succeed.

Captain Intrepid
09-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Yelling about oppression as you're dragged from a meeting where you're breaking the rules just makes you look like a kook. It really doesn't help your cause except with the true believers as they yell out "AMEN!"

Arizona Bay
09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
http://youtu.be/bufWevt0wYc

Gerarddm
09-22-2013, 11:06 PM
I would think a site called patriotupdate.com is nothing but an Onion beard.

Reynard38
09-23-2013, 06:28 AM
3rd most abused word in the US, patriot.

Paul Pless
09-23-2013, 06:41 AM
3rd most abused word in the US, patriot.whatever

Paul Pless
09-23-2013, 06:42 AM
:D iii

bogdog
09-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Most public hearings I have had experience with usually have more people who want to speak than time can accommodate unfortunately. I've seen people following hearings around the state just to get a chance to sign-up and be heard. Mr. Small's behavior was rather...small of him.

Keith Wilson
09-23-2013, 07:11 AM
3rd most abused word in the US, patriot.So what's #1 and #2? I think 'freedom' is #1, for sure.

bogdog
09-23-2013, 07:13 AM
"Fart" and "whatever" of course.

John Smith
09-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Most public hearings I have had experience with usually have more people who want to speak than time can accommodate unfortunately. I've seen people following hearings around the state just to get a chance to sign-up and be heard. Mr. Small's behavior was rather...small of him.

Are the people who complain about disrupting this meeting the same people who were fine when the Tea Party was disrupting town halls?

I would not be satisfied if I attended a meeting and could only write my question. At the same time, I do understand that time can be short. I'd suggest some method of allowing some speakers. Maybe give everybody who comes a raffle type ticket for those who wish to speak, then draw by lot and let the "winning" number speak.

bogdog
09-23-2013, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=John Smith;3913435]
I would not be satisfied if I attended a meeting and could only write my question. At the same time, I do understand that time can be short. I'd suggest some method of allowing some speakers. Maybe give everybody who comes a raffle type ticket for those who wish to speak, then draw by lot and let the "winning" number speak.[/QUOTE

I can certainly understand that but what if a hearing is covering multiple issues and hundreds are attending who have specific questions or comments about specific issues? There's no completely "fair" way to have a hearing with such a large group. I think the fairest process is "first come first served" for question cards or comments.

John Smith
09-23-2013, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=John Smith;3913435]
I would not be satisfied if I attended a meeting and could only write my question. At the same time, I do understand that time can be short. I'd suggest some method of allowing some speakers. Maybe give everybody who comes a raffle type ticket for those who wish to speak, then draw by lot and let the "winning" number speak.[/QUOTE

I can certainly understand that but what if a hearing is covering multiple issues and hundreds are attending who have specific questions or comments about specific issues? There's no completely "fair" way to have a hearing with such a large group. I think the fairest process is "first come first served" for question cards or comments.

I'd go along with handing a "speaking" card to those who want one as they arrive until we run out.

The advantage of actually speaking is that it encourages a back and forth dialogue which I think is good, as the question just written can be misconstrued, intentionally misread, or not directly responded to.

bogdog
09-23-2013, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=bogdog;3913446]

I'd go along with handing a "speaking" card to those who want one as they arrive until we run out.

The advantage of actually speaking is that it encourages a back and forth dialogue which I think is good, as the question just written can be misconstrued, intentionally misread, or not directly responded to.

Most hearings I attend allow comments and/or questions. But back and forth/froth dialogue is limited by the time the hearing organizers give to speakers which is set in an effort to allow the most people to be heard.

BrianY
09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
I just love how media outlets twist facts around to make headlines that advance their political viewpoints. The guy wasn't "Arrested for speaking out against the common core". He was arrested for being a disruptive jerk.

genglandoh
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
It seems to me that having people only allowed to write their questions is a way the School Board can control the subject matter.
I have no problem with a parent speaking up during a school board public meeting.
He should not have been removed from the room and he should have had a chance to discuss his points.

I do have a problem with how the Board decided to handle it and if you noticed the police officer slammed him into the exit door. (it is at the end of the video)
He is being charged with
1. Second-degree assault of a police officer, which carries a fine of $2,500 and up to 10 years in prison
2. Disturbing a school operation, which carries a fine of $2,500 and up to six months.

This is an abuse of power and I hope these board members get voted out of office.

pefjr
09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I think so, looked like America to me. Parents, in one way or another, are one of the biggest problems most schools have.

Captain Intrepid
09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
It seems to me that having people only allowed to write their questions is a way the School Board can control the subject matter.
I have no problem with a parent speaking up during a school board public meeting.
He should not have been removed from the room and he should have had a chance to discuss his points.

That'd be a highly incompetent format for this sort of meeting. Meetings like this are for Q&A. In depth discussion belongs in follow up meetings among the stakeholders and service providers.

sleek
09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I think so, looked like America to me. Parents, in one way or another, are one of the biggest problems most schools have.

I agree, in the same way that America is the biggest problem most terrorist have.

As a parent, it is my responsibility to make sure my kid gets a good education, and one I approve of. That is where I stand. I do know of parents who dont care one bit and their kids miss school allot, are late, and homework/studying isnt enforced. But, those parents are no problem to the schools system, just the child.

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Probably a demorat. No manners!

genglandoh
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Here is an email from a parent in the meeting.

As I said using the format of written questions allows the school board to ignore any question they do not want to talk about.

Next, read this e-mail I received tonight from a parent in Baltimore County, Md:
I know you are vehemently against the Common Core standards that are being thrust upon our children…Last night I attended a “forum” held by our school system. In a nutshell, it was an hour and a half long and the first hour was listening to Dallas Dance (county superintendent), Lillian Lowery (state superintendent),a PTA leader, and a teacher from Catonsville High School basically tell us how great this was going to be.
Then we [watched] a video starting with Martin O’Malley saying how great it was, and then other “educators” saying how great it was. Finally, Dallas Dance read some written questions submitted by parents for the other 3 in the forum to answer. They were mostly softball questions of course and you could feel everyone’s frustration that no hard- hitting questions were being asked.
Finally, a frustrated parent got up and interrupted Lillian Lowery and was challenging one of her pre-planned answers. He was not rude but they had security come in to take him out. Luckily a parent was videotaping the event and sent it to our local media.
I have attached a link to the Baltimore Sun website that has an article and the video of the father being dragged out. He was arrested and held until 3:00 a.m. He was just a dad trying to get some information about his children’s education and ended up in jail for not sitting down and shutting up. I was there and it was absolutely chilling to watch this man silenced.

http://michellemalkin.com/2013/09/20/parents-you-need-to-question-these-people-shock-video-of-dad-arrested-at-school-meeting-after-challenging-common-core/

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
A few years ago we had a situation regarding the budget at the local high school. It was defeated by the voters not once but, twice. It appears that three strikes you are out philosophy. No increases unless the budget passed on the third try. So what did the admin do? Wait a month until all the local college folks come home and being residents, can vote. The budget passed overwhelmingly.The elderly also stopped voting and just said "What's the use?"Of course, this year, the admin SNUCK in a new position which will have to be in the budget; an executive principal! What the heck does an Executive Principal do that the current Principal can't do? The spin is amazing! It's all the state mandates fault!

BrianY
09-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Gee that's a funny turn of events. In my town the seinior citizens have a lock on all budget-related votes to the point where there's not a snowball's chance in hell that any kind of tax increase, school budget increase or special funding initiative will pass. This situtation is the rule rather than the exception in the towns around me - the seniors control the budget process. I wish we had more of your "local college folks" to counter balance their influence.

BrianY
09-23-2013, 02:55 PM
btw - my wife has been a public school teacher for over 30 years (yes, she's one of those "old teachers" that everybody loves to hate). The school district is implementing a new teacher evaluation scheme this year that uses the common core curriculum standards. The funny thing is, none of her colleagues at the High School (one of the best in the state) know what the "common core curriculum standards" are. I understand that this is also the case in other towns. No one - not the administration, the state education folks or the teachers' union - has conveyed that information to the teachers. At least the folks in Cantonsville seem to know what they are.

BTW - In MA, it's NOT the school systems that are "thrust(ing)" the common core standards upon the kids. It's a state mandate in response to parents' demands for higher education standards. The local school systems have no choice but to implement the standards. It may be the same in MD where this icident took place. The adage "be careful what you ask for" applies very well to the whole ed reform thing.

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Gee that's a funny turn of events. In my town the seinior citizens have a lock on all budget-related votes to the point where there's not a snowball's chance in hell that any kind of tax increase, school budget increase or special funding initiative will pass. This situtation is the rule rather than the exception in the towns around me - the seniors control the budget process. I wish we had more of your "local college folks" to counter balance their influence.Amounts to the same thing really. Being able to vote on budgets make the voters feel good even though it's a forgone conclusion..

Tom Montgomery
09-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Grandstanding and disruption seem to be the preferred methods of American, teabagger, right-wingnuts.

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Grandstanding and disruption seem to be the preferred methods of American right-wingnuts.With the TPARTY faction, I'd agree but, the far left is just as verbal.

Tom Montgomery
09-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Just not as ubiquitous.

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm not talking about politicans,. In fact, far from it as they have nothing worth saying and know it.:)

htom
09-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I love the supposition that the ejected parent knows how to write.

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Then what the hell are you talking about?
It's always so hard to tell!Must be your meds Glen. Side effects could be devastating.:)

Captain Intrepid
09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
With the TPARTY faction, I'd agree but, the far left is just as verbal.

That's true, though no one's really seen the American far left since the 1960s.

pefjr
09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
That's true, though no one's really seen the American far left since the 1960s.I saw em in the 70's, but as soon as Reagan came along they darted under a rock and disappeared. They are probably enjoying retirement on a golf course in Florida somewhere and voting Republican..