PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Cape May, NJ vacation

svey001
06-21-2001, 08:46 AM
Another vacation coming soon! I'm going to be in the Cape May region from June 30 to July 9. I was looking for things to see in that region.

Anybody with suggestions?

P.S. Hopefully, my boat will be completed next year and I will spend time on the water instead of dreaming of being on the water.

Mike DeHart
06-21-2001, 10:12 AM
Cape May is a great place "down the shore." Go see and sail on the A.J. Meerwald. It is a restored Delaware Bay oyster schooner from the '20's. Port Norris and Bivalve are a short drive from Cape May. Check with the schooner project for schedules.
http://www.state.nj.us/njfacts/meerwald1.html
If you go to Bivalve to see the Meerwald, be sure to have a look at the Ada C. Lore, another oyster schooner being restored at Bivalve Packing Company. The master shipwright is a really nice guy. (No, he is not me.)

Non-woodenboat activities include a ride on the Cape May-Lewes ferry, climbing the Cape May lighthouse, a visit to sunset beach, a short drive north to Wildwood (take rte 9, stay off the parkway) for a day on the boardwalk/amusement piers/water parks/go carts/night clubs/live bands. There is also good fishing from jettys or charter boats, kayaking the I-C waterway and back bays, A big ol' schooner turned seafood restaurant, watch the shrimp boats, and an evening up in Atlantic City (take the parkway if you are in a hurry or "ocean drive" if you prefer a much more scenic route.)

Oh, and there is that big Atlantic Ocean thing, too.

Overall it is a great place to relax or go like mad. Your choice.

Nora Lee
09-07-2001, 08:14 AM
Mike...

I have a friend who is looking for a place to liveaboard a Westsail 32, in or around Cape May. They don't wanta pricey marina, looking for a backwater that will be an easy commute to Cape May for their business. Any Ideas?

Nora

Mike DeHart
09-07-2001, 09:44 AM
Nora,

I doubt that I'll be much help with this one. The backwater marinas that I know of all empty out by November. They are on tidal creeks that can choke with ice in the winter. I once watched the ice floes rip the dolphins and fenders from a fairly stout bridge. There are many marinas along the ICW and some may have year round facilities but I couldn't name any specific ones to ask. I would think the marinas in Cape May would be pricey. You might get lucky and find one on Dennis Creek near Dennisville or maybe along the Maurice River in Port Norris, Mauricetown, or Port Elizabeth. The drive to C.M. from Mauricetown is about 30-40 minutes, I think. Sorry I can't help more.

Nora Lee
09-10-2001, 05:36 AM
Mike...

Thank You for the info, I will pass it on!

Nora

[This message has been edited by Nora Lee (edited 09-10-2001).]

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
10-11-2001, 01:39 PM
I live onboard a bit North of Cape May, near Ocean City.
I am on a O'Day 27 in Somer's pt, and I pay a mere $1650 a year plus electric.
A friend of mine lives in cape may harbour on a Gemini (I think) catamaran.
he stayed there for free, and "borrowed" water and electric (to change his battery with) from the coast guard