PDA

View Full Version : Atheist Religion, Church and All

Nanoose
09-21-2013, 02:28 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09/21/sunday-assembly-is-the-hot-new-atheist-church.html

bogdog
09-21-2013, 02:38 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09/21/sunday-assembly-is-the-hot-new-atheist-church.html
It'll make good use of all the abandoned churches. Aren't the Anglicans in Canada going to be extinct in less than two decades?
Shame to waste a good building.

skuthorp
09-21-2013, 04:22 PM
As a long term non believer I am just as amused by this as I am by many other alleged 'churches' that are just money making ventures courtesy of the tax regime. I'm sure this will also be a great money making venture and just as 'legit', or not, as any other cult. Most of humanity seems to have a need for a community belief of some sort, but I for one have never comprehended why except for the evolutionary advantage of course. The gullible are at risk from charlatans of every stamp, but the religious imposters seem to have the least critical audience of all.
Of course, being started by 3 comedians, the joke is on every one else. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves dogmatically and who ends up in the driver's seat……………….. and what title he'll assume:d

WX
09-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Looks like they are having fun.:D

Old Dryfoot
09-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Tax dodge...

Ian McColgin
09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
The movement has been around long enough that when I was in theology school in the early '70s there were atheists studying church management and polity. If you google things like 'atheist church boston' or cambridge you'll find that the local press has a couple of stories per year. Try for your own town and maybe you'll find someone.

The grandparent of this in our culture is, of course, the Ethical Culture Society. Over the centuries there have been many who evolved enough to de-supernaturalize their spiritual lives.

BrianY
09-21-2013, 06:07 PM
It sounds like a recurring organized social event rather than a "church". And it's certainly not a "religion" in any way that resembles Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, etc. (no dogma, nothing to belive in, worship etc. ). But it does sound like a very good time. Good for them!

Ian McColgin
09-21-2013, 06:41 PM
BrianY is correct that outfits like Ethical Culture reject dogmas. But most 'christians' are profoundly ignorent of the meaning of various doctrines, which makes protestant 'church shopping' and Roman Catholic and Orthodox 'cafeteria belief' so much more practical. The fact that these communities have de-supernaturalized spritual life does not lower anything.

Keith Wilson
09-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Unitarian-Universalists don't have dogma as such, and quite a few of them (us, actually) are atheists.

Keith Wilson
09-21-2013, 07:45 PM
The fact that these communities have de-supernaturalized spiritual life does not lower anything.Quite true. Unitarian-Universalists don't have dogma as such, and quite a few of them (us, actually) are atheists; more are agnostics.

bobbys
09-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Snakes, gotta have Snakes or its not worth my time.....