Do you think the Senate will risk a Government shutdown over Obamacare?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genglandoh
    • Dec 2010

Do you think the Senate will risk a Government shutdown over Obamacare?

The House of Reps has been passing many bills in the past year where the Democrat run Senate will not even allow a vote.
    Many of these have been jobs bills and could have helped the country but the Dems in the Senate refuse to even allow a vote.

The next big issue is the funding of the Government.
    Obamacare was sold as not requiring any extra funding but it seems that was a mistake because funding in now needed.

I think the House will pass a bill funding the Government but not giving additional funding for Obamacare.

If the Senate decided not to allow a vote then the Government will shut down.
    But if the Senate does vote there is a big chance the bill will pass and then Obama will have to decide if he will shut down the Government.
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do." Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Gerarddm
    #RESIST
    • Feb 2010

Re: Do you think the Senate will risk a Government shutdown over Obamacare?

This is an exercise in mental masturbation by the House Republicans, every single one of whom needs to be defeated the next time they run. The Senate will not touch it. There is nothing to negotiate. And like back in the days of Newt Gingrich, Republicans will suffer heavily. Hurrah.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
      Lurking since 1997
      • Sep 1999

The current House and Senate Republicans are the most irresponsible group of legislators to ever exist. I would not put anything past them.

Here is hoping the President stares them down.
      "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• Chip-skiff
        Wolves Without Borders
        • Jan 2008

I'd rephrase that: Do you think the whackjobs in the House will ever stop wasting public money and time indulging their infantile power trip?

Comment

• Cuyahoga Chuck
          # 7727
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by genglandoh
          The House of Reps has been passing many bills in the past year where the Democrat run Senate will not even allow a vote.
          Many of these have been jobs bills and could have helped the country but the Dems in the Senate refuse to even allow a vote..

Either house can pass whatever bills it likes but unless both pass similar bills and the president signs them it's all a waste of time. That's 9th grade civics.

The next big issue is the funding of the Government.Obamacare was sold as not requiring any extra funding but it seems that was a mistake because funding in now needed..

Funding the national debt and funding Obamacare are two different things. And at the moment both are constitutionally correct

I think the House will pass a bill funding the Government but not
          giving additional funding for Obamacare..

SO WHAT? That's been in the cards since the last time the Repugnicans tried that tack. They can't make law by themselves but they can obstruct. It doesn't take much IQ to pull that kind of stunt.

But if the Senate does vote there is a big chance the bill will pass and then Obama will have to decide if he will shut down the Government.

That would be your dream come true, wouldn't it? Sorry, the Senate is not likely to give the House Repugnicans that opportunity. If the House Repugnicans go that route they will bear the blame for whatever happens.

Comment

• ccmanuals
            Son of a Guineaman
            • Dec 2001

Many of these have been jobs bills and could have helped the country but the Dems in the Senate refuse to even allow a vote.

The next big issue is the funding of the Government.
            Obamacare was sold as not requiring any extra funding but it seems that was a mistake because funding in now needed.

I think the House will pass a bill funding the Government but not giving additional funding for Obamacare.

Actually I don't believe you are correct. I am not aware of any jobs bills passed by the House. Can you name some?
            Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• Chip-skiff
              Wolves Without Borders
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ccmanuals
              Actually I don't believe you are correct. I am not aware of any jobs bills passed by the House. Can you name some?
              Bigger farm subsidies for non-farmers.

The usual rape and pillage.

Comment

• ccmanuals
                Son of a Guineaman
                • Dec 2001

Your title is misleading. The Senate is only part of the equation. But to answer your question, yes. I don't believe the House can act in a responsible manner. Boehner who has said previously that he won't allow his tparty caucus to use the debt ceiling and CR to hold the country hostage has already caved. The House for all practical purposes does not have any effective leadership.
                Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                  Lurking since 1997
                  • Sep 1999

Originally posted by ccmanuals
                  Boehner who has said previously that he won't allow his tparty caucus to use the debt ceiling and CR to hold the country hostage has already caved. The House for all practical purposes does not have any effective leadership.
                  John Boehner is taking a calculated risk. He is hoping that he can personally gain politically by pandering to the t-party numbskulls in the House while counting on the Senate to pull his chestnuts out of the fire.

The man is beneath contempt.
                  m
                  Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM.
                  "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                    Ancient Mariner
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Tom Montgomery
                    The current House and Senate Republicans are the most irresponsible group of legislators to ever exist. I would not put anything past them.

Here is hoping the President stares them down.
                    And the Dems are any different? In your dreams perhaps!

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                      Lurking since 1997
                      • Sep 1999

Yes, I think the Dems are different.

Comment

• Chip-skiff
                        Wolves Without Borders
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Tom Montgomery
                        Yes, I think the Dems are different.
                        Too bloody right!

Comment

• ljb5
                          • Jan 2004

Hogwash.

I challenge you to name one of these "many."
                          ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Garret
                            Hills of Vermont
                            • Apr 2005

I don't think the Senate will, but I think that a number of misguided, self-centered, possibly traitorous idiots will - but mostly in the House.
                            "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              low information voter
                              • Jun 2010

Tonight CBS indicated that even Republicans in the Senate will not go along and at least one called the possible obstruction "suicide".
                              Conferences at the top level are always courteous. Name calling is left to the foreign ministers. (Averell Harriman)

Comment

Working...