PDA

View Full Version : Tangier Island

Alan D. Hyde
02-19-2001, 12:51 PM
As long as I'm walking around in this forum, how about Tangier Island?

Looks like I may be there at some point this spring. Anything I should be sure to see or do?

I'll appreciate any comments.

Alan

Andrew
02-21-2001, 09:05 AM
I have a co-worker born on Tangier Is. Basically it's a sleepy little place without much in the way of tourist entertainment. The boat shops are on the north side of the islands. There is a little book on the history of the island "God's Island: A History of Tangier Island" by Kirk Mariner (an off-islander) which my friend highly recommends.

A word of caution the locals refer to themselves a Tangiermen/women not Tangerenes

none
02-23-2001, 10:02 AM
hay get as many pics of work boats you find thats been abandon as you can , and then tell me where thay are so I can find them this summer when I go. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif pleassssssseeeee

Wayne Jeffers
03-01-2001, 09:58 AM
Alan,

Our Chesapeake Bay vacation last summer included a trip to Tangier Island. I highly recommend it.

Michelle and I took the ferry from Reedville, VA. It's 1 hours each way. We went only for the day, so our stay was only two hours. Next time, I think we'll plan an overnight stay. There are at least a couple of B&B's on the island.

The island is small and most of it is marsh. I heard the high point is 4 feet above sea level. I think population is about 700. Most of the buildings are somewhat older and of traditional construction. Very picturesque. I remember seeing only a couple of newer houses, plus a new school building. The streets are very narrow and people get around by walking, biking, or using a golf cart. Graves in the churchyards, and even in the yards of many houses, are at ground level like in the old part of New Orleans. Most of the houses are painted cheerful colors and ALL the boats are white.

Because it was a hot day, we rented a golf cart and were able to travel all around the island and see the sights, at least superficially, in two hours.

The residents mostly make their living from the water, so the harbor near the north end of the island is full of wonderful wooden workboats. All supplies come in by boat and the harbor area was busy with folks unloading supplies, etc. It was a very active harbor.

Remember to take your camera and plenty of film.

Sorry I can't point out any one particular thing to see, but the entire island is nice and can be seen in a short visit.

If you're going to spend any time around the Northern Neck of VA, from a wooden boat perspective I would recommend stopping by the Reedville Marine Railway and the Reedville Fishermen's Museum (both on US360 in Reedville) and the Port Kinsale Marina at Kinsale, VA. At the latter, we found a skipjack destined for the museum there being worked on by a very personable British ships carpenter named Ian who took considerable time from his work to give us a tour and explain in detail the work he was doing on the ship (new chine logs and some plank replacement, mostly, plus painting.)

Michelle and I have agreed that this 10-day Chesapeake Bay trip was the nicest vacation either of us has ever been on and we plan to return again soon.

Wayne

Matt J.
03-16-2001, 03:46 PM
Although I haven't been to Tangier, I've lived in MD all my 25 years... of course we're a few hours north from Tangier.

I can't recommend on Tangier, but if you're trip has time or inclination for a side step, drop me a line and we can give you plenty of recommendations in the mid-Bay area.

For instance, our project, although only beginning, is open for visits if you're interested http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif
(only charge ya a few hours labor http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif )

Enjoy

Alan D. Hyde
03-19-2001, 03:51 PM
Andrew-------

Thanks for your suggestion.

I called Kirk Mariner and got a copy of his book (paperback, $14.95 including s. & h.).

His book's no page-turner, but it's capably done, and I'm happy to have read it.

Also appreciate the comments from Wayne and Emerson, and I'll see about some photos for Bill Leggett.

Won't be heading out there for a while, yet, though.

Alan

none
03-21-2001, 05:33 PM
thanks Alen, I'll owe ya one.
by any chance, do you know if there is any way to get a school bus camper on the island where as I could go there and stay for a few days? I have tried a few mottels up north but I wasn't impressed and I found the camper more like my home.
thanks,
bill

PilotArt
04-01-2001, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B Leggett:
[B]thanks Alen, I'll owe ya one.
by any chance, do you know if there is any way to get a school bus camper on the island where as I could go there and stay for a few days? ..."

There may still be an 'auto-ferry' service from Chrisfield, MD.

A much closer passenger ferry runs out of Onancock, VA. You may find a spot to park a camper there.

An excellent way to see and visit Tangier Island would be the small plane (10 minute flight) Charter Service operated from the Melfa, VA Airport (757)787-4600. There is an excellent half-mile long, paved public-use Airport (elevation 7') on Tangier, walking distance to all of the Island.

Art

none
04-04-2001, 12:32 PM
thanks Art. I work with a bunch of pilots....and I'm on a flight crew, so I have no trouble getting a plane. I was hopeing to locate a place to set up camp, and stay few days. I just don't feel comfortable in the hotels. but I got a small boat so maybe it's possiable to motor boat over there.
thanks Art
bill

Alan D. Hyde
04-09-2001, 04:12 PM
Just back; will post a report fairly soon.

Alan

none
04-09-2001, 07:40 PM
great I'm looking forward to it.