PDA

View Full Version : Cape Cod Sailing Ideas?

BrianR
09-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm heading to the Cape next week, with my 14' melonseed in tow. I've never sailed the waters around the cape. I'll be staying in Yarmouth, but I'm not constrained to that area. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find some great sailing water? Can I sail to the islands? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hunky Dory
09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
The three bays area in Osterville is one of my favorites. But there are many others, Lewis bay Hyannis is close by,Waquoit bay in East Falmouth is the closest jump off to the Vineyard. My friend Bill has a peapod I have a spritsail skiff and would love to join you even if we might have trouble keeping up with a mellonseed. If you will be around on a Thursday night we are working in the Cape Cod Maritime Museum boatshop and one guy is building a Mellonseed and would love to talk with you.

Bob

BrianR
09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
The three bays area in Osterville is one of my favorites. But there are many others, Lewis bay Hyannis is close by,Waquoit bay in East Falmouth is the closest jump off to the Vineyard. My friend Bill has a peapod I have a spritsail skiff and would love to join you even if we might have trouble keeping up with a mellonseed. If you will be around on a Thursday night we are working in the Cape Cod Maritime Museum boatshop and one guy is building a Mellonseed and would love to talk with you.

Bob

excellent! Just what I was looking for Bob. Please reach me offline - Brian@Romanowskylaw.com

Thanks again!

Woxbox
09-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Plan ahead where you will launch and leave your vehicle. There are dozens of landings, but most are restricted to residents. Launching isn't the issue so much as where you can leave your rig without getting ticketed.

A hop over to Martha's Vineyard is easy when the weather cooperates. Oak Bluffs has a snug little harbor, is close, and is an interesting little town. Contact the harbor master when you pull in and he'll probably find a place for you to tie up for a couple of hours. It's an easy run from there down to Edgartown.

If the weather kicks up, Waquoit Bay, as recommended, is totally sheltered and you can camp on Washburn Island. Make reservations ahead of time -- there's no one on the island itself, just campsites and a couple of solar powered outhouses. The cuts in and out of Waquoit Bay and Eel pond, which are connected, can be tricky when the current is running. Once inside, there are extensive shoal areas but you won't have an issue in your boat.

A sail into Woods Hole may be tempting, but the stories of the tidal currents through there are not exagerations. A stop in Falmouth Harbor would be easy enough, however.

There is a convenient landing at the end of White's Landing Road off Route 28 in East Falmouth. I've used it a couple of times and was able to leave my car at a private home nearby. Perhaps the marina next door would provide parking, or maybe the lot adjacent isn't posted now? It's been a few years. But that would be a good central starting point.

Hunky Dory
09-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Whites landing has plenty of parking and no sticker required. It is posted no overnight parking. Lewis bay has a ramp in Hyannis that does not require a sticker. Weekdays after labor day it gets a lot easier for parking.

adampet
09-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I'll put a plug in for Pleasent Bay in Chatham, Harwich and Orleans. Lots of public landings. Several islands with public access, one with camping available.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pleasant+Bay,+orleans+MA&hl=en&ll=41.735454,-69.954758&spn=0.149875,0.220757&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.59616,56.513672&hnear=Pleasant+Bay&t=m&z=12

Let me know and I'll provide more specifics.
Adam

Michael Wick
09-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Brian,

I had a house on Craigsville Beach for 10 days and I rented a mooring from Crosby's in Cotuit. No trouble launching BILLABLE HOURS at the ramp, and parking wasn't a big problem. There is a water taxi and that made life more convenient. I stopped on the beach at the mouth of the bay, and I got some ticks there, but otherwise perfect. THe most beautiful collection of wooden boats you can imagine. Mike Wick

Ian McColgin
09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
I've been out of computer touch at Pease Boatworks in Chatham but all remarks above are excellent. Have a great time.

Howard Sharp
09-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I once spent a delightful afternoon in a dingy on the Pamet River estuary, wished it could have lasted longer. Beautiful.

Michael Wick
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
We plan to go back to Craigsville Beach this summer with a melonseed in tow. Haven't settled on a date, yet. Mike

Hunky Dory
11-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Let me know when you get your plans finalized we can get a small group together. I know someone in Pleasant bay that will have his Mellonseed done by then.

Bob