PDA

View Full Version : New Walmart ad on tv about selling more made in USA products

Paul Girouard
09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Saw it this evening , any truth to it? They also talked about hiring vets. New management? Or just a troll ad?

David G
09-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I know nothing of the actual facts. I do know Wall-Mart's corporate history and culture. Just based on that... I'd expect it's more PR than substance.

John Bell
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Saw it this evening , any truth to it? They also talked about hiring vets. New management? Or just a troll ad?

It's real. At least that's what they are telling their suppliers. Full disclosure, my employer is a WM supplier. We have been gaining business because we produce the products we sell to them in the USA. They just had a big vendor conference where they spelled out their plans to increase their "made-in-America" quotient by some huge amount. I don't think it's a troll ad based on what we are seeing behind the scenes. . I know the culture on this board is going to be hating on Walmart no matter what but give it some time before you pass judgement.

Jim Mahan
09-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I have no idea what to do about it, but it pisses me off that Walmart intends to hire vets.

Chris Coose
09-04-2013, 08:56 AM
They hosted a big conference a week or two ago in Florida. I read something about them looking to see what might be manufactured back in the US.
I know this because our crazy Governor attended.

I'm not that jaded to not have some hope that; 1. Walmart would like to spark domestic manufacturing and 2. Our governor seeks to line up at the trough to lure work to Maine.

But what overrides it 100% is the expansion of the Walmart employee model in a new generation of American growth. **** them all.

Viva collective bargaining!

Shang
09-04-2013, 11:27 AM
I have no idea what to do about it, but it pisses me off that Walmart intends to hire vets.

Are you cranked off because you don't like the idea of vets working for minimum wage and without health care,
or is it that you don't like the idea of vets being used as window dressing by Walmart?

John Bell
09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
They hosted a big conference a week or two ago in Florida. I read something about them looking to see what might be manufactured back in the US.
I know this because our crazy Governor attended.

I had colleagues at this at this conference which is where I heard about the initiative.

Old Dryfoot
09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Walmart is trying to usurp supermarkets; they've always sold food, but many stores are being converted to supercenters that include full service supermarkets.

When I was working in franchising we collocated several stores inside of Walmart in the US and Canada. It was my understanding at that time that Walmart was already the largest food retailer in the US. This was according to the Walmart execs we spoke with and my companies COO. It's possible I was misinformed but I don't find it too hard to believe that even then, some 10 years ago, that they had already succeeded insofar as market share dominance.

Just as an aside, another fact(oid) I picked up about Walmart was that during a Black Friday sale they managed a single day sales record topping a billion dollars. Also not too hard to believe given that they are found seemingly everywhere you go.

As for the OP, I think it's all PR myself...

Waddie
09-05-2013, 12:26 AM
It's not a deception. You will be seeing a lot of production moving back here. The Fed is killing foreign currencies, making loans almost impossible to pay off. India is a mess, as are most of the BRIC currencies - except Brazil, who refused to participate years ago. China is selling off US Treasuries, and many countries are in the beginning stages of a trade war. What's good for America isn't so good for emerging markets.

regards,
Waddie

Shang
09-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I understand that Walmart employees are striking in fifteen US cities today, asking for a living wage.