PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan

ccmanuals
09-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Went to a Steely Dan concert Saturday night at the Verizon theater in Grand Prairie.

Donald Fagin is getting up in years but they still have the mojo.

xflow7
09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Glad you posted this. I am contemplating trekking down to Boston at the end of the month to see them and was wondering how it would be. I saw them back in '97 or so and it was a great show. The show's in the middle of the week which will make the next morning at work rough, but I did the same thing for Stanley Clarke/Victor Wooten a couple of years ago and didn't get fired. :d

Dave

ccmanuals
09-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Dave, it was a great show. For me when they did Peg, AJA and My Old School I was happy. They also have Jon Herington on lead guitar and he is absolutely amazing.

Looks like they have 2 nights in Boston with the 25th their "greatest hits" night.

I had a blast. Great Show!

ccmanuals
09-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Here is a tease,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeEMdNtwDvM

PeterSibley
09-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Good one ... thanks !

Gerarddm
09-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Kid Charlemagne was always a favorite, as is The Royal Scam.

Hard to imagine Peg without Michael McDonald, though.

I'd love to see 'em live today.

Paul Pless
09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
best cerebral rock band going

David W Pratt
09-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Steely Dan was what a female character in Wm Burroughs' The Ticket That Exploded, called her dildo

ccmanuals
09-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Kid Charlemagne was always a favorite, as is The Royal Scam.

Hard to imagine Peg without Michael McDonald, though.

I'd love to see 'em live today.

Michael McDonald would have been great. He wasn't there but

Don Henley was in the audience.

xflow7
09-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Tom, thanks for posting the video.

I didn't realize that the two dates were for different sets. Tough to choose between a Greatest Hits night and an Aja Plus Other night, but I think I'm leaning towards the latter. Wish I could manage both, but I think that's a bridge too far.

By the way, if you're a fan of the 'Dan, there are some documentaries that are worth watching. There's the "Two Against Nature" docu that was released around the time of the album, and also a making of Aja documentary. It's been a long time since I saw them, but I recall enjoying them quite a lot. I think it's the Aja one that has some really entertaining interviews with some of the various band members. The one that sticks out is Bernard "Pretty" Purdie who is a riot.

Good stuff.

Dave

Bob Adams
09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Steely Dan was what a female character in Wm Burroughs' The Ticket That Exploded, called her dildo

Congratulations. I was wondering if anyone else knew where the band got it's name!