PDA

View Full Version : Cause of pool leak: insects

John Smith
09-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Just had a guy spend two hours and charge $250 to find and fix the small leak in our pool.

Turned out to be two small holes caused by insects, and we have to get some repellent granules and put them around the base of the pool.

The scary thing is this leak brought the water, in part, to our basement, seeping up through the floor in two places. I'm hoping the rain doesn't now find the same path.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Gotta watch out for those pool borers!.

Full Tilt
09-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Vinyl worms?

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Cement termites!

John Smith
09-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Go ahead, laugh. That was my first reaction. Seems as if the insects went under the above ground pool, or tried to, in efforts to get out of the extreme heat we had.

Full Tilt
09-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Go ahead, laugh. That was my first reaction. Seems as if the insects went under the above ground pool, or tried to, in efforts to get out of the extreme heat we had.

I dunno John?

My Dad sold hundreds of above ground pools in Collingwood and Barrie, Ontario, and I never heard of insects doing damage to a vinyl liner.

Sharp bits of debris in the sand, on the other hand, cause myriad punctures.

Mike

Oysterhouse
09-01-2013, 06:30 PM
In your pool John?? Only two holes??

Probably: Conservative Right-Wing Gadfly Borers.

John Smith
09-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I dunno John?

My Dad sold hundreds of above ground pools in Collingwood and Barrie, Ontario, and I never heard of insects doing damage to a vinyl liner.

Sharp bits of debris in the sand, on the other hand, cause myriad punctures.

Mike

We've had this pool for years and no problem. Earlier a tree fell on it and we had to have it repaired; brand new liner.

While I had never heard of this, checking my local ACA for pesticides, I find I'm not the first they've heard of.

We did have a record setting heat wave. The underground going insects burrow. They don't attack the vinyl as a direct attack on the vinyl; they're just digging and the vinyl seems in their way.