Ian McColgin
08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
[Access to vids at bottom cite.]

Gilberton police chief releases new video as suspension nears an end
Borough council meets privately with special counsel

1/16
By Nicole Radzievich, Of The Morning Call
3:55 p.m. EDT, August 28, 2013

Days before his 30-day suspension is scheduled to end, Gilberton police Chief Mark Kessler has posted another YouTube video where he shoots a target he names "Eric," the same first name of a borough councilman who wants him fired.

Meanwhile, Borough Council met privately Wednesday with special counsel it hired for legal advice regarding Kessler and scheduled a special public meeting for Friday, the day before Kessler's suspension expires.

The borough office has not released an agenda yet for the meeting. But Kessler, who couldn't immediately be reached for comment, has repeatedly said he thinks he will lose his job over the videos where he shoots the borough's semi- and automatic weapons during profanity-laced rants in support of gun rights.

During his Internet-based radio show this week, Kessler questioned what his future would be at the borough's one-man police department.

"I'm sure they have something up their sleeves," he said, referring to Borough Council. "A little trick."

The latest 10-minute, 28-second YouTube video shows Kessler in the woods with an AK-47, which he calls "Mr. Kalashnikov" after the firearm's inventor.

He says he's going to introduce "Mr. Kalashnikov" to his friend "Eric," which is a target of a hammer-wielding clown. He describes Eric as a "flaming libtard" and "tyrant" who likes to "strong arm" and "threaten" people.

Kessler pretends "Eric" is going "insane" and on "bath salts," illegal drugs that often lead to hallucinations and violent behavior.

"Don't even give him a chance. Just light his f-----' --- right up," Kessler says. "Kill him. F--- him.

Kessler repeatedly fires at the target on camera, walks toward the target off camera and fires some more. He brings back a tattered target on camera.

"I'm sorry to say all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Eric back together again," Kessler says.

Kessler never gives Eric a last name. On his radio show Monday, Kessler called Eric a "mythical character" that reminds him of Council Vice President Eric Boxer.

In a news conference earlier this month, Kessler accused Boxer of strong-arming residents to show up in opposition to Kessler at the meeting where the chief was suspended, according to published reports.

Boxer had said after that meeting where Kessler was suspended that he would rather Kessler be fired than suspended.

In the video Kessler also mentions he would introduce his audience to "Danny" but never gets back to Danny. On his Web page, Kessler calls Council President Daniel Malloy a "tyrant" and enemy of the state.

Boxer and Malloy could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Michael Morrill, executive director of the advocacy group Keystone Progress, said the video "is clearly intended to intimidate" council members before they decide his future.

"Kessler's continued intimidation of people he disagrees with has created a climate of fear in Gilberton and beyond," Morrill said. "It is outrageous to allow him to continue to carry a badge and a gun while he repeatedly intimidates citizens."

The video follows a photo op Kessler organized Saturday at the foot of a billboard that the Washington, D.C.-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence rented with the message "Fire Kessler." About 40 gun rights activists turned out with their assault weapons. Kessler described the demonstration as "an act of civil disobedience, a peaceful act."

Kessler, also a North Schuylkill School Board member, has been under fire for profanity-laced YouTube videos about gun rights that he posted. Gilberton council suspended him without pay July 31 for 30 days for using the borough's guns in the video. The meeting drew more than 100 supporters, many with guns, and critics. Some groups called for Kessler's termination $15.25-an-hour job.

The borough also adopted a new policy for the use of borough property and indicated they would sit down with Kessler at the end of his suspension to go over it with him.

The suspension expires Saturday, but Kessler isn't normally scheduled to work Saturdays, according to the borough.

The borough has been covered by state police during Kessler's suspension.

Kessler has maintained he did nothing wrong, and his videos are protected by the Constitution.

Copyright 2013, The Morning Call

Read more: http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-gilberton-police-chief-kessler-end-of-suspensio-20130828,0,7093629.story#ixzz2dIah9Dvb

Rich Jones
08-28-2013, 03:56 PM
If I were Eric Boxer, I'd sleep with both eyes open. That sheriff is dangerous. A loose cannon waiting to explode. The city council is probably trying to figure a way to fire him without getting shot at.

The Bigfella
08-28-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd like to know what Phillip makes of this?

Police bad
Guns good

So damn confusing

bobbys
08-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd like to know what Phillip makes of this?

Police bad
Guns good

So damn confusing.

Well i thought it might be more appropriate to see what Ian thought about it. But that never entered your mind did it?

Its obvious its a troll .

The Bigfella
08-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Well i thought it might be more appropriate to see what Ian thought about it. But that never entered your mind did it?

Its obvious its a troll .

What Ian thinks of it is that the system of local police, ie appointed by the local council, is inappropriate. Get rid of them, have proper, large, police forces/departments/services with professional management - using performance management to get rid of nutters like this.

Ian McColgin
08-28-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that what I think of this chief is adequately conveyed in the thread title but in the growing list of things for which I must apologize to bobbys, I apologize for any ambiguity he may have read into the title. I assure him that the title is a straight read, no irony intended.

Gerarddm
08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I always though the worst police chief was that chaw-chewing miserable creature Lawrence Rainey involved with the Schwerner/Chaney/Goodman murders back in the Mississippi civil rights era.

BrianW
08-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Maybe the best Police Chief you can get for $15.25 per hour. :D

S.V. Airlie
08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I suspect Phillip is his neighbor.

BrianW
08-28-2013, 07:30 PM
[

The borough office has not released an agenda yet for the meeting. But Kessler, who couldn't immediately be reached for comment, has repeatedly said he thinks he will lose his job over the videos where he shoots the borough's semi- and automatic weapons during profanity-laced rants in support of gun rights.

Why does the borough have automatic weapons? :D