PDA

View Full Version : Boats for Sale in WB Marketplace (Online)

Bark
08-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Anybody else think the WB Marketplace section for Boats for Sale is a little odd? I decided to put my Cheoy Lee Lion on the market and my first thought was to put an ad in the next issue of the print magazine, which I did. Then I saw the online section - hadn't paid too much attention to it in the past - and decided to also submit an ad there, since it was a fraction of the magazine ad cost and would go online immediately. So I did. But now that I've poked around the site a little, I'm kind of scratching my head. There seems to be a fair number of boats listed, but there's no search or filtering features that I can see ... seems like potential buyers have no choice but to scroll through a dozen or more pages of boats of all sizes and types. Seems like that will get even more cumbersome as the number of listings grow. Anyway, just my initial impressions. Maybe I'm missing something? By the way, has anyone had any luck using the online Marketplace to sell a boat? -Ben

Ian McColgin
08-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Yeah. It's like the magazine. Just have to slow down and enjoy looking.

bamamick
08-28-2013, 08:04 AM
I agree with Ian. I think you just have to enjoy scrolling through, which I do. I actually like how it's set up. On yachtworld.com and other such sites you miss so much.

Mickey Lake

Bark
08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Well, I kind of agree. Like probably all of us, I enjoy being in the "browsing" mode and leisurely leafing through a collection of nice wooden boats. But I think perspectives change when someone transitions from browsing to an active buying or selling mode; then it becomes increasingly about efficiency. As a buyer, I would like to see (at a minimum) a distinction between power and sail, and perhaps an option for email notifications as new boats are added. My boat is currently at the top of the list, presumably because it was the most recent listing to be added. But that's just a guess - the organization of listings isn't explained anywhere that I can find. Do the newest listings go on top (and older listings are relegated to the end)? Do they rotate? Not knowing, a buyer might feel compelled to go through the entire list - of all kinds of boats - every time he/she checked the WB listings. Significant potential for missing something, I'd think. Not trying to be overly critical here, but a few tweaks might make the site more useful. -Ben

andykane
08-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I agree - I found it very confusing. I've had my boat listed for several months with 0 responses, but then again I've got literally 2 responses from my local ads in the past 6 months, both from people who had no idea what they were looking for. I don't quite understand how the market can be *that* bad but I guess nobody wants wooden boats but us.

bamamick
08-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I think that the market is pretty bad.

Mickey Lake

Breakaway
08-28-2013, 10:22 AM
No one had any money to spend. ( unless your item seven figures)

Kevin

Ted Hoppe
08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
looks like a great boat and a fair price. Good luck

jimkeen
08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I have posted a boat using the online listings. I received a few responses while it was listed, but it was sold by word of mouth for the asking price before I had a chance to respond to the responses from the ad.

Ian McColgin
08-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Selling the boat is like buying the boat. You do a lot of things to establish the serious karma - classifieds, on-line, brokers, boatyard wandering, asking around. It's like fishing from a boat. Are you going to have better luck trolling with one hook or six? And if you get one on, do you then figure that the other five were wasted?

Anyway, the WB list invites at least a glance at many different boats which one should, really should, look at even if not of a sort one wants personally.

Beholding a wooden boat ennobles the soul.

(Usually. There are a few ugly wooden boats but most of them have gone to the great boneyard in the muck.)

Larks
08-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Ben, I've been admiring your boat since Ted posted a link to your advert' on our "Boomerang Challenge" thread (here:http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?165978-The-Great-Boomerang-Challenge ). She's gorgeous and one that, in other circumstances, I'd be seriously considering finding an excuse to take a long time off from work and coming over to take her off your hands.

Is there any chance of posting a few more pics of her here for some of us to admire?,(or on the Boomerang challenge thread?). I can't imagine that it'd breach any rules as you have her advertised here anyway, but it'll satisfy some of us who are too far away to come and get a closer look at her.

I've seen the ones here: http://www.photoboatgallery.net/p753624654/h6D89134C#h628d4dab

Are you aware of "Siandra" and the stories of her journeys around the world that Nikki Perryman published in the UK Classic Boat Mag?

RFNK
08-29-2013, 11:58 PM
+1 to what Larks just said. I'd also add that the WB ad provides very little detail about the boat! Where's the listing of fittings etc.?

I also like just browsing through lists of boat ads etc. but I also think the site ought to have a search function or something that speeds up the process of finding a particular boat or particular types, fittings etc.

Rick

Bark
08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks, guys. I probably should have put more info in the ad, but I figured I'd just send details if somebody was interested. If you PM or email me, I'd be happy to provide a data sheet. And I'll have more pictures soon. Have to admit, I love those photoboat.com pics. Those were from just a few weeks ago. Somebody mentioned something about the price being suspiciously low ... you know, I just didn't know where to price it. Geez, I cringe to think of the money I have in her at this point, and I think it's likely she's in the category of some boats currently selling for $35-$40K. But the market is slow and I thought I'd price aggressively. Nothing to hide - she's certainly not perfect, but she's a MUCH better boat than when I bought her 12 years ago for a lot more money! Regarding Siandra, I think she's a Robb Lion, but built in England, not by the Cheoy Lee yard (where most of them originated). On another note, I think I got my first scam attempt this morning ... be careful out there ...

rbgarr
08-30-2013, 01:01 PM
The few times I've sold boats I advertised them with photos from all angles, descriptions of how we used them, what they were best at and suited for (and not), how much we enjoyed them and what we did with them thus 'painting a picture' for the viewer that they could put themselves in. The emphasis was on how our children and Margaret enjoyed spending time on them. One was a small outboard and the other was a Hobie catamaran and they sold very quickly. Of course they were much less price-y and not wood, but I believe it helped to sell the experience and not the thing, i.e., the 'sizzle versus the steak'.

chuckt
08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
That's a great price. I agree--Get some more pics in there for sure and more descirpition including what you have done to her. You might not even get an email or call unless the ad grabs attention. Too many boats out there for sale.

Bark
08-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Good advice everyone - thanks.

FWIW, here's the text of the scam attempt I received today ... apparently a common one on craigslist:

Thanks for the quick response and I'm satisfied with the condition of the boat, i will love to make an instant purchase because i'm buying this boat for my dad as a gift, I'm located in Toronto, but due to my occupation as a U.S. Army and right now i'm in camp in Egypt for peace keeping and i will be here for a while. I am buying this boat for my dad as a surprise gift for his birthday. I really want the boat to be a surprise for my dad by not disclosing the boat until the delivery is made to him, i'm sure he will be more than happy with the boat. I don't mind adding an extra 50 for you to take the advert down from the site so that i can be rest assured that i'm in hand of the boat, l will offer you the amount required and i can only pay you through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online (i don't have internet banking with it yet), but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay, all i will need is your PayPal money request or PayPal email address to make the payments and i will be happy to pay PayPal charges, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 5mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so i can make the payment. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.

My Best Regard
Boby

Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:38 AM
To: Ben.barker@verizon.net
Subject: 1963 Cheoy Lee Lion Yawl

Hello,

I'm interesting to buy your boat, Do you still have it for sale? and what the last asking price? and what sort of conditions it? Do you accept a PayPal as a mode of payment. Hope to hear from you soon.

Campbell

Thanks
Boby

RFNK
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks, guys. I probably should have put more info in the ad, but I figured I'd just send details if somebody was interested. If you PM or email me, I'd be happy to provide a data sheet. And I'll have more pictures soon. Have to admit, I love those photoboat.com pics. Those were from just a few weeks ago. Somebody mentioned something about the price being suspiciously low ... you know, I just didn't know where to price it. Geez, I cringe to think of the money I have in her at this point, and I think it's likely she's in the category of some boats currently selling for $35-$40K. But the market is slow and I thought I'd price aggressively. Nothing to hide - she's certainly not perfect, but she's a MUCH better boat than when I bought her 12 years ago for a lot more money! Regarding Siandra, I think she's a Robb Lion, but built in England, not by the Cheoy Lee yard (where most of them originated). On another note, I think I got my first scam attempt this morning ... be careful out there ...

Whoa! Siandra was built in Sydney, Australia, by the late and great Ron Swanson! And most definitely a Robb Lion Class.

Rick

Bark
08-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Whoa! Siandra was built in Sydney, Australia, by the late and great Ron Swanson! And most definitely a Robb Lion Class.

Rick

Australia, not England! My mistake! Lovely boat - reading about her was an inspiration when I was a new Lion owner ...

RFNK
08-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Really lovely, the first cruising boat that literally took my breath away. All the Lion's are beautiful. I rate the Lion and the Alan Payne Tasman Seabird as the two most beautiful cruiser/racers ever built. A perfect blend of form and function.

Rick

Larks
08-30-2013, 09:21 PM

That was me that said she seemed suspiciously cheap Ben, but I still have the tab with the advert opened......:d

My suspicion was more in terms of what work I'd expect to find and the time needed to set her up as capable for world cruising at the price you advertise, but I do understand the state of the market over there and that there are indeed some wonderful bargains to be had. I suspect that someone is going to find themselves the very fortunate owner of a wonderful yacht at a bargain price....Good luck with it all Ben, I hope she finds a suitable custodian.

chuckt
08-31-2013, 07:17 AM
I wonder how they scam you using Paypal?

Bark
08-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Rick & Larks - Come on over! You've got a free place to stay here in Maryland, but I may insist on a crew spot for the delivery voyage!

wonder how they scam you using Paypal?

Chuck, I think that as the scam unfolds, the "buyer" claims difficulties with accessing PayPal in some way, and he tries to get you to provide him with your login info. Or they try to get you to wire them money to "release" the PayPal funds or something. Sounds iike there are various versions of the scam out there, but I think the common thread involves getting the seller excited about an easy sale, then complicating the transaction and hoping the seller's excitement causes them to do something stupid.

Bark
09-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Check out my slideshow if you get a minute ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkEyihgD74&feature=youtu.be

Larks
09-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Stop teasing us Ben!!! Any bights yet?

Bark
09-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Actually, I thought it was a done deal over the weekend (how many times has that been the case in the history of boat selling ...). A couple LOVED the boat - he is a professional wooden boat shipwright - but in the end they decided not to violate a rule they had established from the beginning: the cockpit had to be big enough to allow two people to sleep there (they planned to have a lot of visitors for extended periods of time).

Quite a few inquiries, though. I also put an ad on craigslist (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/4073221481.html) so I lose track of which ad people are responding to. The print ad in WB comes out with the next issue ...

She's looking pretty good, though, with all the touch-up, clean-up, re-oiling, etc. Sigh.

rbgarr
09-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Isn't that just the way ?! You clean the boat up for viewing and it tugs at your heart all over again.

Carl Cramer
09-26-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm doing my part of the community. I just bought a boat from the Online Classifed section today.

jsjpd1
09-26-2013, 08:09 PM
So....what did you get, Carl?

Carl Cramer
09-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Funny -- She's not on the site anymore.

Here she is, JS. But I didn't pay anything remotely near the asking price:

http://www.cppyacht.com/cppyacht-inventory.php?rPage=/privatelabel/listing/photo_gallery.jsp?slim=pp285631&ybw=&boat_id=2528613&boatname=24%27+Whiticar+&photo_revised_date=1350579136000&photo_name=Photo+2&photo=2&noOfPic=3

I haven't owned a powerboat in perhaps 10 years, and I was worried my skills might atrophy. She seems perfect.

rbgarr
09-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Congratulations! I saw that Whiticar at the MBBH show a few years ago. Nicely restored. Don't catch any tuna bigger than the boat!

Breakaway
09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Nice one, Carl. There was a Whitticar 24 here for awhile. I didn't know the owner, and never ran her, but she cut quite the profile powering through the inlet. Good luck with yours.

Kevin

rbgarr
09-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Here's a similar boat for sale (far less elegant) for anyone interested: http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/4068988429.html

jsjpd1
09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Nice boat, congratulations Carl!

Jim