PDA

View Full Version : Should same sex couples be allowed

Rum_Pirate
08-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Should same sex couples be allowed to adopt/foster/etc children?

If so should those children be the same sex as the couple (eg Lesbian couples only be allowed girls and gay couples only be allowed boys or vice versa) or does it not matter?

John of Phoenix
08-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Why do you care?

Do you have any first hand knowledge of this?

Ian McColgin
08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Firstly, it's already allowed by law in many states. Works fine. Like any adoption. In otherwords, most work out ok and a few are real horror shows, though rarely as rough on the child as all too many fostercare placements.

In my work as an advocate I dealt with numerous families with homosexual parents. And my brother and his partner took on a troubled thirteen year old and got her to a productive adulthood. So I combine personal observation with systemic reading of the literature.

The suitability of two people to adopt (or bear) children is independent of their sexual orientation.

Rum_Pirate
08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Why do you care? Do I have to do so?

Do you have any first hand knowledge of this? I don't think that makes any difference as I am just interested to know what the forumites on here thought about it.

Flying Orca
08-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I've known a few folks raised by gay couples, some the same gender, some not. They seem to have turned out OK.

Keith Wilson
08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I adopted two children myself (as infants from Korea), so I can speak from experience about the process involved. It's spectacularly difficult and time-consuming, and in my experience the agencies are very, very careful about who they place children with. If most folks had to reproduce that way, our species would have died out long ago. If a same-sex couple can get through the process, they're qualified to raise children, at least as far as one can possibly tell in advance.

Osborne Russell
08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
The question assumes that adoption can be denied on the grounds of homosexuality. I don't know that to be so.

If you want to make sure, have the GOP introduce a national ban in Congress, and make it an issue in the Presidential campaign. I dare you.

I know you might have to wait until you get back from serving in Syria but that may not happen and you will be ever so disappointed that Obama cheated you out of your chance to pledge your life to America, but that's all the more reason to get started ASAP.

Ian McColgin
08-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Adoption can and is denied to LGBT people. Some of the denials are in accordance with those state's discriminatory laws, and some are judges' decisions.

LGBT individuals may petition to adopt a child in all fifty states but six state do not allow an LGBT couple to jointly petition and a bunch of states have such murky laws that it’s hard to know. In four states a same sex partner cannot petition to adopt his or her partner’s child and again a number of states have very murky laws.

I have not seen a study of how many LBGT petitions are denied where the explicit or hidden reason is sexual orientation.

bobbys
08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
The question assumes that adoption can be denied on the grounds of homosexuality. I don't know that to be so.

If you want to make sure, have the GOP introduce a national ban in Congress, and make it an issue in the Presidential campaign. I dare you.

I know you might have to wait until you get back from serving in Syria but that may not happen and you will be ever so disappointed that Obama cheated you out of your chance to pledge your life to America, but that's all the more reason to get started ASAP..

So you want Congress to have a bill on this but your not concerned Obama is not going in front of Congress about war?.

LOL

htom
08-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Oh good grief. Yes.

Suzy(f) and Bull(m) marry (or not) and have a mixed assortment of bio-children.

Sandra(f) and Rabin marry (or not) and have a mixed assortment of bio-children.

Suzy and Rabin are killed in auto accidents. Sandra and Bull marry and each adopts the other's children. OK?

Right? Proper thing to do?

So Suzy and Sandra, or Bull and Rabin, should be allowed to do the same.

Get a grip, people.

LeeG
08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Should Rum Pirates be near the net?

Rum_Pirate
08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Should Rum Pirates be near the net?

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/8/5/7/1/2/1/Yes-absolutely-14407743252.jpeg

Osborne Russell
08-27-2013, 05:47 PM

So you want Congress to have a bill on this but your not concerned Obama is not going in front of Congress about war?.

LOL

You're the one who wants war. Put in a resolution to declare war on Syria along with your no-gay-adoption bill, on your way to the recruitment office. I double dare you.

bobbys
08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
You're the one who wants war. Put in a resolution to declare war on Syria along with your no-gay-adoption bill, on your way to the recruitment office. I double dare you..

HHMMM no nothing to gain by war there, Why is Obama not going before Congress?