PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't libraries quiet anymore?

rbgarr
08-26-2013, 03:47 PM
I miss that. They were once such a peaceful and restful place. Now, people think nothing of talking aloud and acting like they are in a supermarket. Even (sometimes especially) librarians do it!

Glen Longino
08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
:)Because Mrs. Boggs died and no longer works there.
It's been 60 years since I've seen her but I still know to keep my damn mouth shut in a library!:)

bobbys
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
:)Because Mrs. Boggs died and no longer works there.
It's been 60 years since I've seen her but I still know to keep my damn mouth shut in a library!:).

You still hang around the National Geographic s and giggle at the nekked ladies in Africa!

The Bigfella
08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Your real library is now at your fingertips. The buildings that we still call libraries are now social centres. The sad thing is that they are disproportionately funded, to the detriment of wider learning and education.

S.V. Airlie
08-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Cell phones!

Garret
08-26-2013, 04:39 PM
The libraries around me are quiet. Not silent, but definitely hushed.

In the US libraries are not disproportionally funded at all & in fact could use more $. Not just used for books either, but for all kinds of learning related things.

The Bigfella
08-26-2013, 05:15 PM
The libraries around me are quiet. Not silent, but definitely hushed.

In the US libraries are not disproportionally funded at all & in fact could use more $. Not just used for books either, but for all kinds of learning related things.

Of course they could "use" more $.....

Meanwhile

Definition of LIBRARY1
a : a place in which literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films) are kept for use but not for sale
b : a collection of such materials

a : a collection resembling or suggesting a library
b : morgue (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/morgue) 2

a : a series of related books issued by a publisher
b : a collection of publications on the same subject

: a collection of cloned DNA fragments that are maintained in a suitable cellular environment and that usually represent the genetic material of a particular organism or tissue

http://www.merriam-webster.com/styles/default/images/reference/external.jpg See library defined for English-language learners (http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/library)

See library defined for kids (http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?book=Student&va=library)

So, what is happening is that libraries are struggling to compete. They are servicing a declining minor percentage of the population... at the expense of the majority - and their role these days barely fits the Webster definition. Their prime aim seems to be as an employment centre.... for existing staff. There's better learning models out there. There's better reading models too

Reynard38
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Last time I went in one it was serving as a homeless shelter.

Rich Jones
08-26-2013, 05:27 PM
My wife and I are in the local library at least once a week. It's still a quiet place and we still prefer to read real books, not on tablets.

bobbys
08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Tis true in high school i sat in the back with the dumb kids and drove a MC.

However i soon loined a top secret.

Hot nerdy chicks studied after school in the library.

They jumped at the chance to help the MC riding wise guy dumb kid who payed attention to them..

A ride on the 450 honda was given in return for academical help..

Yeah i once was a "player"

Garret
08-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Of course they could "use" more $.....
So, what is happening is that libraries are struggling to compete. They are servicing a declining minor percentage of the population... at the expense of the majority - and their role these days barely fits the Webster definition. Their prime aim seems to be as an employment centre.... for existing staff. There's better learning models out there. There's better reading models too

You are painting with a very broad brush. The libraries around me still contain & supply a lot of books. You can order a book from another Vermont library & have it there in a day or so. You can get eBooks - though that is still in its infancy here. They offer after school programs for kids, learn to read programs for new immigrants & others who can't read, book discussion groups & many other things.

Maybe it's just that you are in a an area where people aren't literate enough to appreciate what a good library has to offer?

Breakaway
08-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Our local library provides a range of classes, crafts and educational opportunities for everyone from tots, to old timers. Its the place to rent a video for free. Our library also has a ships model collection that many here would probably enjoy spending time with. Our iibrary also operates an art gallery. Our library maintains preserved historic buildings from 1801: an outhouse, a shoolhouse, a smokehouse and a few others. Our library as a computer lab. Our library has a mission statement and an events calendar.

Did I mention, our library has books....I think ... :)

Kevin

Keith Wilson
08-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Our local library is the busiest in Minnesota. I go there often; it has lots of computers, videos, audio books, and paper books. It almost always has a lot of people in it, and it's mostly quiet, even the kids' section. In fact, I disagree with the premise of the original post; libraries around here aren't like tombs, but they're a lot quieter than most other pubic places, certainly quiet enough to sit and read if one wants to.

Garret
08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
certainly quiet enough to sit and read if one wants to.

One library I frequent has 2 couches & 2 chairs arranged in front of a fireplace. Sitting in there in front of a nice fire (wood - not gas) & reading for a while is a delightful timeout.

The Bigfella
08-26-2013, 06:26 PM
My wife is an avid local library user too. She's a voracious reader. Scores well from a friend who drops the occasional box of books on the front verandah too (he works in public transport). She's also totally resistant to e-books.... although I'll crack that sooner or later.

Only 44% of the Australian population are public library members... and a large percentage of them are not regular users (I'm double counted, for example.. being a member of two, and using neither).

The Australian taxpayer is massively subsidising the 10-15% (at a guess), of the population who don't want to either pay for their reading material and/or use the internet.

Old Dryfoot
08-26-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm very happy to say that the Greater Victoria Library system is doing quite well. Quiet too.

Jim Bow
08-26-2013, 08:35 PM
A ride on the 450 honda was given in return for academical help..

Yeah i once was a "player"

Did you Armor All the seat so she'd slide forward when you braked??

rbgarr
08-26-2013, 08:36 PM
I was out west at a library last week and noticed how loud it was. That's what prompted my OP.

I use our local library all the time, requesting books via inter-library loan and making suggestions for new purchases, which arrive monthly. The library is very popular here, especially in the long winters and will be getting a makeover/expansion after a capital campaign that's going on now.

A friend gave me his old Nook but the state library e-book system is kludgy and difficult to use so I don't do that much. I also volunteer at the associated used bookstore which sells books for a dollar and less, quite successfully. Most of its patrons are elderly or tourists and very quiet and respectful of others. It's nice. If I were to win the lottery I'd donate a new library to the town.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Last time I went in one it was serving as a homeless shelter.

That is so true in my town.
Public bathroom, heat in Winter,A/C in the Summer.
A great place to hang out.
A real sociology lesson in every visit.

johnw
08-26-2013, 09:24 PM
The local library on Vashon Island is quiet and peaceful, and usually there are a lot of people there. Same with the Seattle libraries I've been to. I've never actually been in one that was noisy.

Keith Wilson
08-26-2013, 09:31 PM
If I were to win the lottery I'd donate a new library to the town.You don't need to win the lottery. Little Free Libraries! (http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/) I've donated five already, and I ain't Andrew Carnegie, that's for sure.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3d823b3127ccef311c3160d8600000010O00BYsmzNu4aMQ e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00104873621020130527210011934.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

goodbasil
08-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I am in one even now as we speak. Trying out my new laptop with Wi-Fi. My cable won't be hooked up till Sept. Still too loud. Really bad this afternoon, some jerk walking around yapping into a phone. Sign at the door telling us to restrict phone use to the lobby.

The Bigfella
08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Interesting innovation on some of our inter-urban trains. I caught the train up to Newcastle last week, with someone else. Both directions, we almost stepped into a "Quiet Carriage". Good idea on a two hour trip. Want to talk, use your phone, etc... get out of that carriage....

bobbys
08-26-2013, 09:43 PM
This to me is a sign of changing times..

I kept taking out a book on plumbing and noticed it was water stained{not a good sign of what water it was} and ripped.

I asked the librarian lady if i could buy it as it was pretty bad and i had taken it out a dozen times{In fact more times I had taken the wife out but thats another story}.

At any rate she told me no but thanks for not stealing it.

Steal it?, i sez..

She said so many people just steal the books no one has ever bothered to ask to buy one...

WOW.

Old Dryfoot
08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
You don't need to win the lottery. Little Free Libraries! (http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/) I've donated five already, and I ain't Andrew Carnegie, that's for sure.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3d823b3127ccef311c3160d8600000010O00BYsmzNu4aMQ e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00104873621020130527210011934.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

A house I worked on a few months back had a Little Free Library out front. My last day on that job I tossed in Moby Dick, a few Anne McCaffrey books, and a copy of Dune. It's a fantastic idea, but I can't help but wonder if they get cleaned out from time to time.

Keith Wilson
08-26-2013, 10:03 PM
I've never heard of one that has had all the books taken at once. I keep adding books to mine, which is fine; I don't much care if folks bring them back or not. The 15 cent book bin at Goodwill is a great thing.

PeterSibley
08-26-2013, 10:13 PM
My wife and I are in the local library at least once a week. It's still a quiet place and we still prefer to read real books, not on tablets.

Agreed, I don't like tablets or reading long tracts of text on a screen. Our local library is run by our shire council and is alway well attended and maintained, school kids, mums, retired people and lots of very young children .... something that is very good. It's an good library and a great source of novels but for me, an excellent channel to access the collections in the State libraries. A $2 fee for a rare $100 book for 3 weeks is too good a deal to pass up but the fee is just for inter library loans, the locally held books are free to borrow.

Keith Wilson
08-26-2013, 10:16 PM
There are not many things which I am positively delighted to pay taxes to support. Libraries are one.

Larks
08-27-2013, 01:34 AM
There are not many things which I am positively delighted to pay taxes to support. Libraries are one.

Likewise, if the library was treated like a library and not opened up for abuse. However answering the original question, here in Oz they do seem to have become a backpackers free internet zone and air-conditioned social hangout. When I was studying a few years back I could not find a space to work in the library and lay down a couple of books because the every seat and floor space was filled with back packers lounging around listening to music, facebooking and talking quite loudly.

Hwyl
08-27-2013, 04:35 AM
I miss that. They were once such a peaceful and restful place. Now, people think nothing of talking aloud and acting like they are in a supermarket. Even (sometimes especially) librarians do it!

We had a librarian that did that, seems to be a librarian thing from the nineties. They have quietened down now. I am greeted by name when I walk in.

Here is some doggerel I wrote for a library poetry reading, 10 or so years ago.

I'm speaking out loud in the library

It should be against the rules
I enjoy quiet in the library
and regard the talkers as fools

I’m raising my voice in the library
I hope that’s what you want me to do
I’m exposing my thoughts in the library
and I’m doing it just for you

I’ve thought of reasons not to do this
while I was sitting down there in my chair
I’m shy and not and not at all exhibitionist
and besides ---- I’m losing my hair

a behaviour I’m usually against
this action is very contrary
but I’m doing it at you behest

Please accept these lines of doggerel
amongst the pearls you’ll hear tonight
but my rhyming is not quite right

oh I’m sure you’ll hear of much inner delving
while sitting in this fine recitation
my poetry is more like pine shelving
than some finely crafted creation

so while reading aloud in the library
I hope I’ve made you feel fine
many thanks are due to the library
and would you please cancel my fine

stevebaby
08-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Agreed, I don't like tablets or reading long tracts of text on a screen. Our local library is run by our shire council and is alway well attended and maintained, school kids, mums, retired people and lots of very young children .... something that is very good. It's an good library and a great source of novels but for me, an excellent channel to access the collections in the State libraries. A $2 fee for a rare $100 book for 3 weeks is too good a deal to pass up but the fee is just for inter library loans, the locally held books are free to borrow.Our local library is also excellent. There are about 20 computer terminals, dvd and audio collections, magazines and newspapers, toy library, free wifi and plenty of quiet areas to sit and read. The clientele is pretty diverse...a lot of elderly residents, school and uni students and there's a programme whereby asylum seekers can practice their English and get help finding employment.There's a conversational English programme for new migrants which is a great way to meet and learn from some really interesting people.
It's a great place and very popular. I often visit at opening time and I've never seen less than half a dozen residents waiting for the doors to open. The computer terminals fill up very quickly!
We don't see many backpackers at my local branch, but if we did I have no problem with them using the library facilities. They're paying for accommodation and their landlords will be paying council rates so indirectly they have already paid for the service.The local council is great...they also provide sporting facilities. As for the "10-15%", the cricket ground and soccer field across the road gets used by far less people than the library, but I'm glad it's there and I'm happy to pay for it.
Like most public libraries in Australia, it's paid for by the council rates of local residents, not taxes.

Full Tilt
08-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Here is some doggerel I wrote for a library poetry reading, 10 or so years ago.

Did it work?

Mike :rolleyes:

Keith Wilson
08-27-2013, 07:25 AM
. . . it's paid for by the council rates of local residents, not taxes.Not to turn this political, but is that what we'd call property taxes, i.e. a locally-asessed tax on the value of houses and land?

Hwyl
08-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Not to turn this political, but is that what we'd call property taxes, i.e. a locally-asessed tax on the value of houses and land?

Affirmative. Rates=Property taxes

stevebaby
08-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Not to turn this political, but is that what we'd call property taxes, i.e. a locally-asessed tax on the value of houses and land?Fair point. It's just a different terminology here. It is of course a "tax", just as my train fare is a tax. It's not a tax levied on the entire population though (the Australian meaning), only on local residents who are very happy with our libraries.
I don't mind paying for libraries. Apart from being an essential part of a civilized society, they are a very efficient way of sharing knowledge. If not for the knowledge stored and shared by libraries throughout history, we'd all still be living in mud huts.

beernd
08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
This to me is a sign of changing times..

I kept taking out a book on plumbing and noticed it was water stained{not a good sign of what water it was} and ripped.

I asked the librarian lady if i could buy it as it was pretty bad and i had taken it out a dozen times{In fact more times I had taken the wife out but thats another story}.

At any rate she told me no but thanks for not stealing it.

Steal it?, i sez..

She said so many people just steal the books no one has ever bothered to ask to buy one...

WOW.

The library in my town does a yearly sell off for books they want to get rid of for € 1,- . It is so successful that you have to be there at opening time if you want to buy something interesting.
Books are here to stay, there is more than just cold calculating effectiveness.
I still like to send and receive letters and postcards for holidays, Christmas etc.
My local library is also something of a life saver to me, if I had to buy each book that i read, I would have been ruined.
It is even more so for study books, I first get several from the library, and I than buy the one that I like most.

bobbys
08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
The library in my town does a yearly sell off for books they want to get rid of for 1,- . It is so successful that you have to be there at opening time if you want to buy something interesting.
Books are here to stay, there is more than just cold calculating effectiveness.
I still like to send and receive letters and postcards for holidays, Christmas etc.
My local library is also something of a life saver to me, if I had to buy each book that i read, I would have been ruined.
It is even more so for study books, I first get several from the library, and I than buy the one that I like most..

Yes they sell used books once a year here to.

They have a bin of used magazines too which is fun to look through and but, I bring home some for my daughter.

I have visited Holland many times through books at the library the only thing is i have not seen anything since 1962.

Do you people still have to travel by ice skates.?