X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Bow
    Still tender and callow f
    • Jul 2008

Tugboat

Visited this tugboat at the Tacoma Waterfront festival. The owner was quite a guy. He's a retired Army aviator. Had an 18 foot cabin cruiser and decided he needed a bigger boat. He saw a tugboat for sale in Portland, fell in love, and bought it. It is a round bottom boat with no keel which was built in Portland in 1930 to push barges of wood chips to the papermill in Camas WA. He pointed out that not only is the bottom built like a barrel, but the engine is way forward and so is the cabin.
    He and his wife, fired it up and took it across the Columbia Bar and out into 12 foot waves in the Pacific. They made a 3 day trip up to Seattle, pulling into ports at night.
    This was in 2005. His wife told us she didn't feel comfortable coming onboard or at least 5 years after that voyage.
    I can't imagine.

“Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
  • ron ll
    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

Re: Tugboat

See you at the tug boat fest (Harbor Days) in Olympia this weekend?

Comment

• John of Phoenix
      • Jun 2001

He's a retired Army aviator.

He and his wife, fired it up and took it across the Columbia Bar and out into 12 foot waves in the Pacific.

His wife told us she didn't feel comfortable coming onboard for at least 5 years after that voyage.
      She'd be much more comfortable with stunts like that if she was immortal too.

Comment

• Flying Orca
        Ruth, feck, and gorm
        • Jan 2007

She's about 10% shorter and almost 20% skinnier than Island Eagle - with that bridge, no keel, and a round bottom, she must roll like a hog.

(I wonder about reserve stability...)

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• Jim Bow
          Still tender and callow f
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ron ll
          See you at the tug boat fest (Harbor Days) in Olympia this weekend?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...a-Harbor-Days&
          We'll be there on Sunday. This tug will also be a participant. I hear the food at Harbor Days is outstanding.
          “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

Working...