PDA

View Full Version : Never take your wife to a Country Western concert

Rich Jones
08-25-2013, 09:39 PM
So, four months ago, the wife gets all excited when she hears that a big Country Western concert is coming to Saratoga Springs, N.Y. She talks me into the tickets, $250 for two. Also talks me into the four hour round trip drive. The acts are Florida-Georgia Line, Thompson Square and Luke Bryan. They're all big names in country music right now. The problem is, they play REAL LOUD at concerts. We're talking Mick Jagger loud, here. Make your ears bleed type of loud. The bass was physically painful. My ears still hurt.
The concert was held in a roofed amphitheater with thousands of seats inside and lawn seating outside. Our seats were inside. After the first two songs, we couldn't stand the pain of the volume and went outside. Still too loud. Tried standing further back in the crowd, but all you'd hear was the bass line. The first group was more acid rock/rap than it was country. Second group wasn't any better. Didn't wait around for Luke Bryan. Gave our indoor seating tickets to a very happy young couple sitting on the lawn and we went home.
We were wondering why everyone else there was under 35 years of age. Turns out this was more of a hard rock concert than it was country.
Next time, I pick the concert and you can be sure it'll be classical!

My dear wife loves country and likes the songs these groups have on the radio. However, in concert, they're a totally different animal and play totally different songs. She was bitterly disappointed.
So, don't take your wife to a country concert!

Paul Girouard
08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Poor Richard the lion hearted liberal LOL. You can't take your wife any where can ya !

Garret
08-25-2013, 09:51 PM
But you didn't take her to a country concert!

SPAC is a wonderful place to hear music - as long as it's not too loud & music you like. I've enjoyed many concerts there.

I do tend to take a few packs of disposable ear plugs though (the orange, roll 'em up & stick 'em in type). They get some looks, but I still have OK hearing - though my gal will tell you it can be selective. :)

When I was about 15, I was at a dance about 1/2 mile from home. I was having a great time until my dad appeared with tufts of cotton sticking out of his ears & a black box in his hand. Dad was an electrical engineer & yes, the box was a db meter. He informed me that the music was louder than a jet taking off 50' away & that I could either put cotton (that he'd thoughtfully brought with him) in my ears or go home.

Like a 15 YO is gonna walk back into a dance with cotton sticking out of his ears..... After I got home, I realized that my ears were painfully ringing & that he really had done me a favor.

Reynard38
08-25-2013, 10:16 PM
My daughter saw that concert here in Atlanta. She loves FL-GA line, and I like them too. She did say however that the acoustics were lousy.

Rich Jones
08-26-2013, 04:33 AM
My daughter saw that concert here in Atlanta. She loves FL-GA line, and I like them too. She did say however that the acoustics were lousy.
Lousy acoustics doesn't even begin to describe it. And when the guitarist has a spiked-up Mohawk, is shirtless and covered in tatoos navel-to-neck, that just isn't country music. A real shame where it's going.

bamamick
08-26-2013, 05:54 AM
The young lady in Thompson Square is from Washington County, Alabama, just north of Mobile. She is a great example of someone from a tiny, tiny town making it pretty big in her chosen profession, and is one of those stories about someone's dream coming true. I couldn't tell you anything about their music, but it's been covered in the news quite a bit here over the years.

The Dave Matthews concert we went to the other day was also so loud as to have been painful. It wasn't like that for the John Butler Trio, so it must have been something their sound man wanted. Painful.

Mickey Lake

Full Tilt
08-26-2013, 06:02 AM
I was waiting to here about the "Bag Drop off" area, but it never came.

Mike

Reynard38
08-26-2013, 06:25 AM
I grew up with Molly Hatchet and Atlanta Rythem Section. Southern Rock. When I first heard FL GA line it reminded me a bit of that music.
Some bands are better heard in studio than concert though.
No guitarist visible hear.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1oL37ycONQ&feature=relmfu

I would have NEVER listened to that old twangy style of country music from back in the Loretta Lyn Conway Twitty days.
Though I tend to be a bluegrass fan some of the new stuff I like.

Rich Jones
08-26-2013, 08:14 AM
I like a few of the classic Patsy Cline type songs, but not many. Don't care for the old fashioned nasal, twangy music either. I'm more of a fan of Clint Black, Alan Jackson and the like. Seems that sort of singer is being pushed out of the industry in favor of outrageously loud rock.

David W Pratt
08-26-2013, 08:58 AM
WKLB (?) 102.5 out of Boston has a great country oldies show on Sunday morning

elf
08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
For those of us in to music with more than two chords, it's just another example of popular music styles sinking to the lowest common denominator...

I bet even Emmy Lou is too loud now.

Garret
08-26-2013, 09:08 AM
For those of us in to music with more than two chords, it's just another example of popular music styles sinking to the lowest common denominator...

Nope - just saw her a few weeks ago.

Rich Jones
08-26-2013, 09:44 AM
I learned my lesson on that about 30-35 years ago... never again

It was a very expensive and time consuming lesson for us. Never again. Fourteen hours after just one hour of that noise (I refuse to call it music), my ears still hurt.

Rich Jones
08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I've been to many concerts since... small venue (seating for 100). some larger venues to hear things like the Nutcracker or watch jazz dance, etc... The Messiah or some Spanish guitar. If I want to hear Willie Nelson (I like him), then I buy a CD

There's nothing better than listening to Willie!!

John of Phoenix
08-26-2013, 04:06 PM
I've always been a W Nelson fan and when he came to Phoenix, I grabbed a couple of tickets for his gig at our "Theater in the Round" place. "No seat more than 50 feet from the stage!!" is the tagline and the place was great.

It would have been a treat except Willie and the boys were about as energetic as a herd of snails. Not nearly as enjoyable as their recordings. I've heard that was their usual "stage presence".

Garret
08-26-2013, 04:10 PM
What was their bus carrying when they got busted? ;)

Paul Girouard
08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
It was a very expensive and time consuming lesson for us. Never again. Fourteen hours after just one hour of that noise (I refuse to call it music), my ears still hurt.

Better stick to taking her to the hardware store! LOL

MiddleAgesMan
08-27-2013, 12:35 AM

Close.

We saw her a few months ago in the Johnny Mercer Theater and the whole show sucked. Not because Emmy Lou was too loud but because all the instruments around her were too loud.

I asked a friend in the recording/sound business about this (he has a role in almost every major and minor performance in town) and he said all the big names bring their own sound guys with them. His job, as far as he is allowed to do it, is to provide the equipment and show the act's sound guys how to use it. After that they are on their own. IOW the traveling sound "experts" don't know beans about creating the right atmosphere to showcase the vocal talent.

Michael D. Storey
08-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Speaking of The Mick and loud concerts, I am taken back to events of 1977. I was directing a Transportation Museum then, and that early summer landed a CETA grant to install a few miles of railroad track at the Museum upon which to demonstrate the collection. I arranged a permanent loan of several miles of 90-pound rail from a nearby city, and was in a tunnel removing it, on the back of a 1952 Caterpillar D-6 (funny how the details stick) Well the noise was so deafening that I pulled threads off of my cut-offs, chewed them up and inserted them into my ears.
Time lurches ahead. It's the fourth of July or the same years, Independence Day, the holiest of the federal days, and I am at Orchard Park, near Buffalo, with none other than Ms Cathyann Howes, the Museum's Director of Education. We were indeed listening to The Stones Rolling. Again, huge sound. So, I, this time chewed up some Italian Bread, and placed that into my ears.
Time lurches even further ahead. I am the following December on my Amtrak way to Gainesville Florida and the arms of a doctor that I had known there. I found my hearing was failing, at the meek age of 28. Ms Martha J Tod, the doctor, kindly eye-balled my ear upon my arrival, and using tweezers removed not only the bread that I had not been able to detect still remaining in my ears, but the remnants of the chewed up pants fabric.
Full hearing restored.
I can still hear to this day.
What?

Osborne Russell
08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I went to a "country" concert (what they call country these days) a couple years ago. Too loud, but I've seen worse.

Why I walked out was, in between verses of a song, the singer would put the mic down, sit on the edge of the stage, and autograph articles presented by members of the audience -- mostly baseball caps with the band's logo. Of course they have a logo.