PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was a good day

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
After a few weeks of broken valves in Ford (now needs a master cylinder), really bad flu me, breavement, broken foot and fractured skull(wife) etc . . . .

My son got his GCSE results yesterday.

He was happy, 2 Cs, 2 Bs, 3 As, an A* and a Distinction, but I was over-the-moon about them.

So since he wanted to go fishing before returning to UK for sixth form tomorrow, I took the day off work (as you would) and we went fishing to (in part) celebrate.

Relatively calm water, slightly overcast with brilliant sunny intervals. Ideal for trolling.

Shut down one 90hp Yamaha and chugged along on the other at ideal speed.

Used Iland lures on Penn reels.

Set the lines and headed for the Monkeys (a fishing area).

Hardly gone a mile then BBZZzzzzz.

A decent sized Barracuda. We gave it away it the chef at the Beach House restaurant at Turtle Bay (where I anchor).

Then about two miles later on the way to the Monkeys, we started following the Frigate Birds. :D

BBZZzzzzzzzzzzzz. Went one reel. :cool:

BBZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Went a second of the three reels. :cool:

Two 30 Dorado/Mahi Mahi (yeah I know I will have to post pics, or it never happened |;)).

We should ideally have left one Dorado/Mahi Mahi in the water and the others would have stayed around. but there was an eagerness toget them in. As the saying goes "Two fish in the boat is better than five in the sea".

Then no more bites, until reeling in the lines to head in to Nags head to go swimming, my daughter was pulling in the line on the Penn International, when she realize that there was a small Spanish Mackerel on it.
It was so small that we released it. Y>

Fresh filleted fish for dinner, with a squeeze of lime.Y>

A wonderful day all round.

Hope you had a good day too.

Peerie Maa
08-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Give the lad my best. Those are a cracking set of results.

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks, will tell him.

I don't think it has sunk in yet for him.

Paul Pless
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
what kind of tackle did you catch the dorado on? they are some of my favourite fish to catch, and to eat. We catch them often when trolling but usually keep a couple of spinning reels ready with large plugs if we see them around a kelp patch or something we'll stop and cast for them. . .

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2013, 12:21 PM
what kind of tackle did you catch the dorado on? they are some of my favourite fish to catch, and to eat. We catch them often when trolling but usually keep a couple of spinning reels ready with large plugs if we see them around a kelp patch or something we'll stop and cast for them. . .

Keeping a couple of spinning reels ready with large plugs is what I should have done.|:(

We use Penn Senator reels. Also have a Pen 1050 international reel.

Caught the Dorado on these

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/PC160354_zpsac945e4a.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/File0495.jpg

and the 1050 international

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/P4170597.jpg

We were fishing on this:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/PC180861.jpg

Swam in this (the sea NOT a pool)
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/File0492.jpg

I like to use the Iland lures

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I like the Iland Express, Sail Lure, Black Hole and Sea Star lures.

Yesterday, I had no Ballahoo. |:(

Paul Pless
08-23-2013, 12:30 PM
sweet jesus that's some pretty water

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
sweet jesus that's some pretty water

Yeah. it is really nice.

Mind you remember that the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". :ycool:

John of Phoenix
08-23-2013, 01:12 PM
what kind of tackle did you catch the dorado on? they are some of my favourite fish to catch, and to eat. We catch them often when trolling but usually keep a couple of spinning reels ready with large plugs if we see them around a kelp patch or something we'll stop and cast for them. . .Where do you fish? We used to go out of Panama City Beach, Destin and Ft Walton Beach.

Paul Pless
08-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Where do you fish? We used to go out of Panama City Beach, Destin and Ft Walton Beach.Destin, Fl mostly, but I used to keep a boat in Orange Beach, Alabama.

Those 30" long dorado that Doug caught are spectacular, but five pounder Dorado are still good eating and amazing fun to catch as well on smaller tackle. And like he intimated about keeping one on and in the water they will school up by the dozens near a kelp line or other floating debris.

seanz
08-23-2013, 05:20 PM
After a few weeks of broken valves in Ford (now needs a master cylinder), really bad flu me, breavement, broken foot and fractured skull(wife) etc . . .

What?

You can tell I don't fish........

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2013, 05:29 PM
What?

You can tell I don't fish........

My wife tripped over one of the dogs in the dark while going to the kitchen for a glass of water 5 weeks ago. Jones fracture and not healing as fast as would be expected.

When impeded by the 'air cast' she tripped and fell backwards, resulting in a 3" cut (6 stitches) and a small fracture at the back of her skull. Lots of worry.

Some like to say 'Karma' that these things happen to me and my family, but basically these things happen. :rolleyes:

You just tend to notice them more when they happen at the 'same' time.

seanz
08-23-2013, 05:32 PM
I hope she starts healing quickly.

Some like to say 'Karma' that these things happen to me and my family, but basically these things happen. :rolleyes:

Stop that, nobody likes a sulky pirate.
:)

Glen Longino
08-23-2013, 05:52 PM
My wife tripped over one of the dogs in the dark while going to the kitchen for a glass of water 5 weeks ago. Jones fracture and not healing as fast as would be expected.

When impeded by the 'air cast' she tripped and fell backwards, resulting in a 3" cut (6 stitches) and a small fracture at the back of her skull. Lots of worry.

You just tend to notice them more when they happen at the 'same' time.

Dammit! Best wishes to both of you!

The Bigfella
08-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear about the injuries to the missus. My missus is still in a leg brace from a dog "incident"... the 39.2 kg Lab hit her at full speed - but she's still good to mow the lawn. I'll warn her about the skull.... Wish your missus well from us in Oz, eh?

Also, congratulations to your young fella. Well done. Much better results than the future King of the Realm ever got.... IIRC, Bonnie Prince Charlie never did very well at school.

Meanwhile sir, on a point of order.... you said you shut down one 90hp Yammie. I see a pair of 85s. Accuracy is required here, thank you.

Robbie 2
08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Very nice Photos..........I am envious of your fishing area and results.
Congrats to your son on his results too.

Hwyl
08-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Wasn't the chef afraid of ciguatera with that barracuda?

Nice fish, I'm more of the drag the cedar plug on a 80 lb line and steel leader kinds guy, seems to work OK for me.

Good luck to the missus, all power to the sprog, living in Blighty must be a shock, does he speak BeeWee?

Willin'
08-23-2013, 08:08 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/P4170597.jpg

Is that the 'small' Spanish Mackerel?

I guess small is relative, and it looks like a King to me. Mackerel is my favorite sushi. Nice fish!

Garret
08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Best to you & your wife & hopes for a speedy recovery. Congrats on the scores too.... :)

Oh yeah, nice fish as well.

Rum_Pirate
08-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the injuries to the missus. My missus is still in a leg brace from a dog "incident"... the 39.2 kg Lab hit her at full speed - but she's still good to mow the lawn. I'll warn her about the skull.... Wish your missus well from us in Oz, eh?

Also, congratulations to your young fella. Well done. Much better results than the future King of the Realm ever got.... IIRC, Bonnie Prince Charlie never did very well at school.

Meanwhile sir, on a point of order.... you said you shut down one 90hp Yammie. I see a pair of 85s. Accuracy is required here, thank you.

Unreserved apologies. You are absolutely correct.

Used to have a pair of 90hp Mercury engines.

Switched back to Yamaha and the horrors of the Mercraps seems to have been permanently imprinted in my subconscious.|;)

Paul Pless
08-24-2013, 10:02 AM
The old yamaha two stroke three cylinder outboards are the best outboards i've ever used with regards to reliability.

ccmanuals
08-24-2013, 10:06 AM

I guess small is relative, and it looks like a King to me. Mackerel is my favorite sushi. Nice fish!

Looks like a King to me as well.

Great day of fishing with your son. Doesn't get any better than that.

Rum_Pirate
08-26-2013, 05:18 PM

A Kingfish (female) 51 1/4 lbs IIRC. Caught by my son.

Rum_Pirate
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Wasn't the chef afraid of ciguatera with that barracuda?

Nice fish, I'm more of the drag the cedar plug on a 80 lb line and steel leader kinds guy, seems to work OK for me.

Good luck to the missus, all power to the sprog, living in Blighty must be a shock, does he speak BeeWee?

I don't eat Barracuda for that reason. I understand it is a good tasting fish.

He 'tested' it. He suck his finger in a slit he cut in the flesh then put it on his tongue. Said if it didn't sting of give a numb feeling it was OK. Rather him than me.

Rum_Pirate
08-26-2013, 05:22 PM
The pics of the two Mahi Mahi fish and somebody that is very apprehensive about touching fish.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/MegampMahimahi22813_zpsc6f22729.jpg