PDA

View Full Version : looking for somone near Tangier Island V.A.

none
12-28-2000, 10:47 PM
a freind of mine told me about a long slinder fishing boats that well known in this area. I'm trying to locate arebuildable project for non comercail use and he saw one somwhere up there several yrs ago. if any one can help let me know.
thanks,
bill

none
12-28-2000, 10:49 PM
please don't tell me that Mr. Pruitt will build one for me...I'm not that rich and don't think I ever will be... http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Rambler
01-13-2001, 03:22 PM
Are you thinking about the Ches. Bay Draketails? If so you should be able to find hundreds that will go cheap and need work. If you aren't sure, let me know and I can maybe find a picture.
-R

Rambler
01-13-2001, 03:25 PM
Is this it? Its a model but is this the design you're thinking of? http://www.wye-river-models.com/pages/drake.htm

none
01-18-2001, 11:43 PM
thanks guys ..sorry it took so long to get back to ya.
Rambler: that's exactly what I saw in the picture from my freind, but I was too late. it's scattered all over the bottom now. at low tide the water comes up too half way of the cabin. and I'm sure the planking is sitting in the marsh.
but a freind told me of a great camp ground that's close enough to a few of these neat boats, and I have a simi converted school bus.....
Custom Skiffs: I work slower then mollasses on a cold day in feb. . plus I don't know anything about boat building http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif
you think one can be built in a few months for real? maybe use better fastners iron, and some small mods, I might be better off. I'll never put it in commercail work but it be sturdy enough for my extended coastal cruising.
say where do you find the information on these boats? I never heard of them before and it seems everyone else has...?
thanks guys

none
01-20-2001, 01:11 AM
that's my plan. already got a freind who knows the area and he's going to be in his camper at a camp out near there and I'll drive my camper there and we'll spend a week searching the local hide outs for some neat boats and a few nice ladies who know how to cook.
maybe even get a few dive jobs set up..
I do like these neat boats.
thanks

jerry s
02-15-2001, 09:16 PM
A lot of the work boats on the Chesapeake bay were designed 40 feet long and about 7 feet wide. The length, so I'm told, had to do with the average wave frequency of the bay. A 40 footer would sit atop of two wave crests and not wallow in the troughs. The boats are used for claming, oyster tonging and crabbing. If you find one that has had a claming rig hung on it the hull will most likely be twisted, so much weight on one side causes that.

The maritime museum at St. Michaels has a lot of information about the craft and indeed in almost every working port on the bay you will find some of the boats.

none
02-23-2001, 11:08 AM
hay thanks I'm glade you mention that, I would never thought about it till it was too late. thanks