PDA

View Full Version : He's got squat.

TomF
08-16-2013, 11:42 AM
This sumbitch is approaching a 3X bodyweight squat, with none of the "supporting gear" that makes powerlifting so distasteful at times. Just an ordinary young man from an ordinary small city, who's got the good fortune that the city is Wichita Falls Tx, where Mark Rippetoe owns the gym.

600# on his back. Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-b7QCvnfVA&feature=youtu.be

Rum_Pirate
08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
What 'supporting gear' (makes powerlifting so distasteful at times) are you referring to in your post?

PS I tried 'googling 'powerlifting supporting gear' but still not sure to what you are referring.

Jim Bow
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Probably referring to all the belts and straps and binding strips they sometimes wear.

Rich Jones
08-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Oh, my aching back...

Captain Intrepid
08-16-2013, 01:02 PM
What 'supporting gear' (makes powerlifting so distasteful at times) are you referring to in your post?

PS I tried 'googling 'powerlifting supporting gear' but still not sure to what you are referring.

Search for "squat suit" and "bench shirt". They're supportive garments that take part of the strain of a lift. Basically, they help you cheat. With a squat suit the fellow in the video could probably add 150 pounds to his lift.

TomF
08-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Search for "squat suit" and "bench shirt". They're supportive garments that take part of the strain of a lift. Basically, they help you cheat. With a squat suit the fellow in the video could probably add 150 pounds to his lift.Yep. A squat suit is essentially made of non-compressible, un-stretchable fabric ... so tight that the lifter often needs help to get into it. With the shoulder straps up, it compresses the lifter's body as he lowers down, storing kinetic energy which helps push the poor b@stard up. Tight enough knee wraps will often give a guy 15-20# by themselves; a squat suit adds one helluva lot more than a guy can actually do. It (and its cousin the "bench shirt") is really a penile extension.

In contrast, this guy is squatting "raw" by most definitions - his only supporting gear is a belt. While I've some lifting goals myself that I hope to meet this year, I can't ever imagine squatting 600. Maybe if I'd started lifting in my 20s, and was willing to gain an extravagant amount of bodyweight ...