PDA

View Full Version : Ron Howard is making ‘In the Heart of the Sea’ - true story that inspired Moby Dick

Paul Montgomery
08-16-2013, 11:18 AM
http://cinekatz.com/ron-howards-in-the-heart-of-the-sea-adds-more-to-its-cast/

JimD
08-16-2013, 11:50 AM
The book is described as a 'surviving in the lifeboats after the ship sinks' tale. Could be a good one.

gilberj
08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Actually if I remeber correctly it was a horrific story involving cannibalism and great suffering.....

GregH
08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Actually if I remeber correctly it was a horrific story involving cannibalism and great suffering.....

Indeed it was, gilberg. I read the book several years ago, and it scared the heck out of me! Just about any non-fiction book about our early whaling industry can be a real gut-wrencher. After they went through whale population of the Atlantic, the Pacific became the best hunting ground - specifically the north Pacific. That meant that voyages of up to FOUR years became the norm. It's hard to imagine what life on those ships must have been like- it must have been absolutely horrible. Strangely enough however, the ship captains would often take their wife and even children along!!! Take about child endangerment!!! I look forward to the Ron Howard film- he almost always does an excellent bit of film-making.

Jim Mahan
08-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Last summer I read a really good novel, Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. Has a lot on the story that inspired Moby Dick.

bamamick
08-16-2013, 07:29 PM
I read it. I can't see it being a blockbuster. :)

Mickey Lake

Daniel Noyes
08-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Oh ok the Essex so it's the story that inspired the sinking of the Pequod in the book, not the true story of the whale that inspired the character "Moby Dick" the white whale.

Lew Barrett
08-17-2013, 10:41 AM
I read it. I can't see it being a blockbuster. :)

Mickey Lake

Agreed. I read it too.

Dan Payne
08-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Cannibalism you say?
So maybe take her for dinner BEFORE the movie?

htom
08-18-2013, 12:09 AM
I wonder if someone's confused book titles? I can see making a book of "In the Heart of the Sea", and even Ron Howard doing so, but expectations? A film for art's sake, for history's understanding of a previous world, ... it won't be a blockbuster.

Daniel Noyes
08-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Oh ok the Essex so it's the story that inspired the sinking of the Pequod in the book, not the true story of the whale that inspired the character "Moby Dick" the white whale.

"Mocha Dick, or the white whale of the pacific"
by Jeremiah Reynolds. 1830's another true story that inspired Moby Dick.

wizbang 13
08-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I read a book last year , can't remember the name. Yankee trader gets wrecked on the west African coast and the crew get kidnapped by desert Muslims and dragged around and abused for months to be eventually ransomed. True story. Super bummer . drinking their own piss, (over and over), starved, beaten, ( worst by their women captors). Ugh , If a movie was made of that , folks would kill themselves on the way home from the theatre.
What was the name???

Breakaway
08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I liked the book. I agree with Lew and Mickey above--not a blockbuster. My guess would be more of a mood piece.

Kevin

Bluegill
08-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I read the book. The proper name is "In the Heart of the C". It was written by Bert & Earnie. It really about the letter C. It's 8 pages long.

sharpiefan
08-25-2013, 07:32 PM
I read a book last year , can't remember the name. Yankee trader gets wrecked on the west African coast and the crew get kidnapped by desert Muslims and dragged around and abused for months to be eventually ransomed. True story. Super bummer . drinking their own piss, (over and over), starved, beaten, ( worst by their women captors). Ugh , If a movie was made of that , folks would kill themselves on the way home from the theatre. What was the name???

'Skeletons On The Zahara'

Owen Chase, mate of Essex, wrote his memoir:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0712667415