X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianW
    not your average member
    • Nov 2002

Seattle EBS next week?

I'm headed home from work, and the family is going to come down and meet me in Seattle for a couple days, so we can do some back to school shopping, and maybe some appliance shopping too. We need a new washer and dryer.

The dates we're available are August 19th and 20th. That's a Monday and Tuesday. The 19th is also our 30th wedding anniversary!

We're staying at the Residence Inn at Lake Union. Just a short walk from the Center for Wooden Boats, and the new museum next door.

It would be fun to get together with some of of the PNWets best folks, and enjoy a meal and a drink!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

• Lew Barrett
    Landlocked
    • Dec 2005

Re: Seattle EBS next week?

This will do better in the Bilge, I think. I should be around.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• BrianW
      not your average member
      • Nov 2002

Okay then. I have moved it.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• BETTY-B
        DanCooley
        • Feb 2007

I'd like to meetcha, Brian. The sooner you guys figure out the time, the better. I have been slammed day and night lately. But will certainly make the time.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
          Landlocked
          • Dec 2005

Still a little slow, maybe it needs a bump.
          Bump.
          One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• ron ll
            Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
            • Oct 2005

Me too. However, like Dan, I am also slammed with a deadline that I'm sure will spill into early next week, so when you pick a time, I might be able to sneak out for a beer. But I might have to be on a last minute cancel situation so don't be including me in reservations at Canlis.

Comment

• Bobcat
              Formerly a Smallboat Guy
              • May 2007

I will be out on the water in the San Juan Islands next week.

And it will be great.....
              What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Comment

• ron ll
                Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bobcat
                I will be out on the water in the San Juan Islands next week.

And it will be great.....
                We just got back, two weeks of great weather and not all that crowded. We found that if you arrive at a bay at about 1pm - 3pm, you can have your choice of spots. Before that it's too foggy to travel anyway.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                  Landlocked
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ron ll
                  We just got back, two weeks of great weather and not all that crowded. We found that if you arrive at a bay at about 1pm - 3pm, you can have your choice of spots. Before that it's too foggy to travel anyway.
                  Radar. Sooner or later you need it. I'm in for the EBS. I would like a hand in selecting the venue. I think we should do it by democratic process, but still allow for the single Republican who might be in attendance ( and who called it in the first place) to have a voice and then we just shoot his decision down!

(You know I love you, Brian)

Comment

• ron ll
                    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Lew Barrett
                    Radar. Sooner or later you need it.
                    Got it now and it saved our butt crossing Rosario Strait out of Thatcher Pass. Also, even in clear weather I like using it as a rear-view mirror. I can see Bayliner sneak attacks without having to constantly turn around and look over my shoulder.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                      Landlocked
                      • Dec 2005

Radar changed the way we boated around here. The combination, radar and a chart plotter, made it a different world.

Where should we coagulate?

Comment

• BrianW
                        not your average member
                        • Nov 2002

Lew, your past suggestions have always been excellent, so please feel free to suggest again.

Then we can vote, I'll filibuster, but at the last minute concede to the groups choice.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                          Flâneur • Seattle
                          • Feb 2001

I'm in ... unless the Upper Management herself says otherwise
                          “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                          — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• BrianW
                            not your average member
                            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Nicholas Carey
                            I'm in ... unless the Upper Management herself says otherwise
                            I was starting to wonder if the was going to be a powerboat EBS only.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                              Landlocked
                              • Dec 2005

Does eating figure into this? I assume it does. There are a couple of new places I've been wanting to try. Consider these newbs:

1. Gastropod
                              This place is in Sodo, Seattle's up and coming "arena" district. It's a new place that brews its own beer. It's down by my building in Sodo. I was standing outside this afternoon and the aromas wafting out the place were intensely glorious. I hear really good things about it, and it is so far relatively undiscovered. Parking would be a snap.

2. Capitol Cider
                              Also new, reviews not quite as glowing as Gastropub, but (I hear) a good selection of rums and beer and OK food. The appeal is that the guy who owns it was the owner of "Westward," a pretty famous wooden exploration yacht. I know the owners. Parking will be a PITA as it's on Capitol Hill, but it's new and untried. That is, another place I am interested to hit but haven't tried yet.

3. Hales Ales
                              Actually, not a new place, been around for ages. In the mish-mosh area between Ballard and Fremont, this is your standard brew pub. Food gets a 3.5 star (Yelp scale) rating, beers are decent. It's a true EBS joint for those not feeling adventurous, but parking will be easy and if it's not exactly thrilling, it will be competent and easy for a group to meet in.

4. The Wurst Place:
                              Westlake District, brews, sausages (elk, wild boar, hot dogs) and good fries. Fun, casual, parking is easy at night.

That's enough for now. I'm curious about Gastropod myself. They're small but they have a room in the back if we get enough folks and I hear nothing but good.
                              Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...