PDA

View Full Version : EasyPoxy over Pre-Kote

capefox
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Has anyone painted Pettit EasyPoxy over Interlux Pre-Kote. How'd it turn out?

BC Bill
08-09-2013, 04:57 PM
That's the paint schedule I use most of the time. Works great!

Two coats Pre-Kote, sanded well. Three coats Pettit EasyPoxy. Thinned, rolled and tipped.

I've also used the one part Epifanes products (both the enamel and the Mono?) a bit, over the Pre-Kote, it works great too.

Note that Pre-Kote is available in white and gray, depending on your top coat color.

-Bill

jimkeen
08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
I too have used Interlux Pre-Kote, two coats sanded. Then 2 -3 coats of Pettit Easy Poxy, Interlux Brightside or Rustoleum Marine. Rolled and tipped.
Just bought a Gal on JD Total Boat Top Side Primer to try. So far so good.

capefox
08-12-2013, 01:30 AM
I went ahead and ordered both products in white. I heard somewhere that you have to give the epoxy a solid week or two before applying either of these products.

BC Bill
08-12-2013, 12:03 PM
"I heard somewhere that you have to give the epoxy a solid week or two before applying either of these products."

Yeah, don't rush it. Also probably a good idea to wash the epoxy down good before painting, as others have noted.

capefox
08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Bill, I noticed you thin your EasyPoxy. Do you use mineral spirits? How much solvent/formula -- 5%?

John Boone
08-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Capefox,

While your waiting for Bill to reply, I'll offer up an opinion. I've worked with both the Petit Easypoxy and Interlux Brightside paints quite a bit painting small power and sail boats over the years. Both are solid products. I have both brushed and rolled and tipped both products and use a product called Penetrol by Flood to prepare the paint. It is very hot and humid here in the south and managing the wet edge and obtaining good flowout for paint and varnish is hard without good prep.

I start at 5% and stir the Penetrol in well then let the paint bucket sit covered in the shade for 10 minutes or so and then give it another stir. I give it a few brush strokes and if it feels too tight and wants to drag I add more Penetrol a capfull at a time and stir it in. Occasionally I will add a capfull of turpentine or brushing liquid 333 (Interlux) in addition to the Penetrol but I really prefer to use the Penetrol as it has less tendency in my experience to decrease the ability of the paint to hide the surface being painted.

I primarily use the Interlux Schooner varnish on Whampoa and I use the Penetrol with that varnish with good success. I have not tried to use it with the Helmsman varnish. It really helps the flowout and wet edge.

I also use the Penetrol with the Pre Kote primer and find it works well and helps me achieve a better prime coat with fewer brush strokes to deal with.

Brushed, Interlux Brightside product on the topsides and boot stripe. Decks were done with Awlgrip two part cream.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd304/jsbpbacct/Boatbuilding/Luzier%2016%20Outboard/IMG_9812_zps1acd2509.jpg

BC Bill
08-12-2013, 02:35 PM
I use the Pettit branded proprietary brushing thinner - can't remember what it is (not in my shop at the moment.) I don't measure but go by a visual - consistency between cream and maple syrup, dripping off the stir stick. If it's pulling back at your brush you need to thin a bit more.

Really helps to have a two person team, one rolling, one right behind tipping. If it's hot you don't get much time.

I haven't tried spraying it. This program works good enough for me - people are always asking if my boats are fiberglas!

BC Bill
08-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Cape - Just noticed that Pettit now has a two part easy poxy.

You should try that and give us a report! :)

--Bill

pcford
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Bill, I noticed you thin your EasyPoxy. Do you use mineral spirits? How much solvent/formula -- 5%?

Depends on environmental status: wind, temp etc. Impossible to say exact amount.

Breakaway
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I second John Boone's vote for Penetrol. My amateur approach to figure the percentage when doing an "important" paint job is to have a scrap piece of plexiglass, painted plywood etc on hand. I thin and brush on the scrap until the drag/flowout/wet edge is working for me. As PC Ford says, tomorrow, the percentage will change, so I use the scrap again.

Kevin