PDA

View Full Version : George and Julia Maynard

Peter Sibley
09-21-2001, 08:03 PM
Does anyone know the whereabouts of George and Julia Maynard of "Zulu".I would very much like to see "Zulu",especially her yawl rig and details.

Jay
09-21-2001, 11:26 PM
They keep a pretty low profile. We parted company with them last sping in the Sea of Cortez. A month or so later they were off south pacific way. I think they were planning on hitting some out of the way islands. Not sure though. I'll try emailing them again.
Jay

Peter Sibley
09-23-2001, 02:47 AM
Thank Jay,if you get a result,would you email me as I don't always stay up to date with the forum?

Art Read
10-08-2001, 07:49 AM
Had a chat with their son, Gary and his wife when they had ZULU in the San Juans this summer. He wasn't even sure where they were! I think he said he "thought" they were in Southern California someplace.

(Whoops... Guess I meant VIOLET...)

[This message has been edited by Art Read (edited 10-13-2001).]

MAGIC's Craig
10-09-2001, 01:58 PM
We met up with George and Julia in July in P.T. (without ZULU, - riding out the summer in La Paz). They had been turned back from their SoPac trip by a prolonged stretch of adverse weather and returned to Baja. They indicated that they were considering returning ZULU to the Pacific Northwest, possibly on a truck, in order to once again cruise those waters. I think that I remember that this would occur next spring.....however, remember that "plan" is a four letter word....

Peter, it turns out that our address for these two is aboard MAGIC, now laid-up in Sidney, B.C. - 1400 miles to the northwest of us. Perhaps someone else will have the info.

PeterSibley
04-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Hello all, I thought I would try again on my search for the Maynards....has anyone seen them lately ? I'd like to ask them a few questions about their rig .

Hwyl
04-18-2004, 08:22 PM
As far as I know Gary Maynard (the son) is still on the Vineyard. You should be able to contact him through Bob Douglas' businesses either "The Black Dog" www.theblackdog.com (http://www.theblackdog.com) or the Coastwise Packet company (Shenandoah and Alabama) www.coastwisepacket.com (http://www.coastwisepacket.com)

PeterSibley
04-20-2004, 04:51 AM
Thank you very much !! smile.gif

MAGIC's Craig
10-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Hello, Peter:
In case you were unable to match up with Zulu, she is presently in the Brisbane area while G & J are back in Port Townsend, WA earning some $$. Julia is at work refinishing Carol Hasse's folkboat mast, so if you would like to make contact, you might check with Hasse at Hasse and Company (http://www.porttownsendsails.com)

Cheers,

Craig Johnsen

PeterSibley
10-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Thank you Craig..I'll have a try smile.gif

PeterSibley
10-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by PeterSibley:
Thank you Craig..I'll have a try smile.gif thanks again,
Peter

PeterSibley
10-13-2004, 04:16 AM
Craig...I emailed the Maynards at the above address and they have replied with their phone number smile.gif Thank you very much for thinking of me,
regards,
Peter Sibley

MAGIC's Craig
10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
You are welcome, Peter. To me, this ability to "connect" is one of the great things about such a board.

Craig

PeterSibley
10-14-2004, 05:04 AM
smile.gif

PeterSibley
11-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Craig, I got in contact with Julia Maynard, via email then phone.They will be in Australia in Febuary and "Zulu" is already here ...in a marina about 130 miles North from here !! smile.gif Small, small world ! smile.gif So I get to meet them, yarn about yawl rig and see how they have set things up ! smile.gif

Wild Dingo
11-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Gotcha camera ready Peter??? HA!! :D no seriously!! better get one mate you will regret it if you dont eh? I mean all this waitin to have a yarn sit on the boat an all that then not to have a few treasured pics would be a shame eh?.... mind you mate I wouldnt mind a sticky beak if you do... you know me and the fellas here love to have a gander at boats built and... heck we even enjoy pics of boats abuildin ;) tongue.gif

MAGIC's Craig
11-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Peter:

Do, do take a camera! Julia did an exquiste job designing ZULU and they have hilarious tales to tell about each building "their own " side of the hull. :D

Details throughout are quite nice and George's rigging work is fine traditional stuff. (He had built a copy of SPRAY and circumnavigated with his first family.)

Get back to us all afterwards, okay?

Craig Johnsen

PeterSibley
11-10-2004, 04:23 PM
I'll definitely take my camera.Its the best notebook there is ! I tend to take a lot of very boring photos from my wife's perspective ....machinery,wood joints ,rigging . :D I'm going to have to borrow a 28mm lens for interior shots though.

PeterSibley
04-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Well,I finally got to meet George and Julia Maynard ! smile.gif Really great people ,very welcoming and their boat ,"Zulu",is just beautiful! Dozens of great details,construction,deck ,rigging, interior, you name it .Plenty of photos ,but I'm sure I'll have missed something and will have to go back. :D

Thanks to all who helped in the quest. smile.gif

Alan D. Hyde
04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Did you say PHOTOS of Zulu, Peter?

I thought so...

With anticipation, :D

Alan

[ 04-21-2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

PeterSibley
04-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Now Alan...I put film in my camera so its not quite as easy as for some,I'll have a look when they come back though.

"Zulu" really is a magnifcently presented boat.Julia must be the most accomplished boat painter I have had the pleasure to meet ! The varnish is flawless and the paint is perfect!Lots of great details... :)and George's work is very ,very neat.

[ 04-22-2005, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: PeterSibley ]

Peter Kalshoven
04-26-2005, 11:39 PM
I have read George's article on the building of Zulu over and over again. (For that matter, I've read his son's article about Violet just as many times.) In my opinion, these are two of the finest articles ever published in WB. I wish there were more like them.
If you see the Maynard's again, please give them both all of our best wishes.
Fair Seas,
Pete

PeterSibley
04-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Happy to oblige Pete smile.gif