PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of "swap" postings?

outofthenorm
08-08-2013, 10:59 AM
There is a bunch of stuff I need (like a sextant), and another bunch of stuff I have and don't need (like 50 pounds of Jeffries NO 2 and a lot of bronze bolts). Would anyone object to some swap postings?

Norm

StevenBauer
08-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Check with Scot. If I'd seen this yesterday I could have asked him for you. We had a nice visit at the WBStore while we were passing through Brooklin on the Welfare Fleet Cruise. Today we are heading for Rockland.

Bob Cleek
08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I've wondered the same, myself. The forum ought to be a great resource for swapping gear and even selling gear and boats between forum members. I know WB makes its money selling advertisements and that is as it should be. There's a whole level of commerce that's being missed, though. Nobody's going to pay for a listing in WB Classifieds to sell 50 pounds of Jeffries, but somebody in here would probably buy it off you in a hot minute.

So, this is what I'd do if I were WB: I'd set up a "slop chest" section of this forum that was only accessible to forum members who are subscribers to WB magazine. They could then sell or trade whatever they wanted at no charge, caveat emptor. Commercial enterprises would be excluded so "advertisements" for products somebody was selling would be prohibited. The limitation to forumites who subscribe would encourage subscriptions to the magazines and help the "bottom line" at no cost to the classifieds because it would pretty much all be stuff that was too inexpensive to justify paying for a print ad. Sure, somebody might unload a boat now and then, but I think WB would come out ahead overall and it would be a great public relations move.

Scot could keep an eye on it and if anybody got out of line, offending posts could simply be removed, as could repeat offenders be simply "Scotted."

Oldad
08-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I agree, great idea. Probably need to put a $ limit on trades to insure no classified $ were being lost to the forum swap meet and a disclaimer stating that WB had no responsibility in the deal.
(from my response you might guess rightly that I have a surplus of "stuff" that I am sure I will never use--all with modest value)
On the down side I think this has been mentioned before and could not find approval, hope I am wrong. For example, I saw this posting on CL, http://burlington.craigslist.org/boa/3988364623.html, today. There is no way he would buy a print ad but that might just be the project that someone would snap up (if you ignore the fact that it is GRP)

CundysHarbor
08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Great idea. We all have way too much excess gear hanging around, stuff we'll never use but would hate to have wasted in an antique store or worse on the wall of a restaurant. Do I really need four spoke shaves?
Dave

michigangeorge
08-10-2013, 07:34 AM
I've ranted on this subject many times but will add my voice to this one as well - we need WB to get on board with this!

PeterSibley
08-10-2013, 07:37 AM
I've wondered the same, myself. The forum ought to be a great resource for swapping gear and even selling gear and boats between forum members. I know WB makes its money selling advertisements and that is as it should be. There's a whole level of commerce that's being missed, though. Nobody's going to pay for a listing in WB Classifieds to sell 50 pounds of Jeffries, but somebody in here would probably buy it off you in a hot minute.

So, this is what I'd do if I were WB: I'd set up a "slop chest" section of this forum that was only accessible to forum members who are subscribers to WB magazine. They could then sell or trade whatever they wanted at no charge, caveat emptor. Commercial enterprises would be excluded so "advertisements" for products somebody was selling would be prohibited. The limitation to forumites who subscribe would encourage subscriptions to the magazines and help the "bottom line" at no cost to the classifieds because it would pretty much all be stuff that was too inexpensive to justify paying for a print ad. Sure, somebody might unload a boat now and then, but I think WB would come out ahead overall and it would be a great public relations move.

Scot could keep an eye on it and if anybody got out of line, offending posts could simply be removed, as could repeat offenders be simply "Scotted."

I'd agree if you drop the sub to WB bit, I have nearly 150 issues on my shelves but they've all been bought over the newsagent counter.

Larks
08-10-2013, 07:48 AM
I'd agree if you drop the sub to WB bit, I have nearly 150 issues on my shelves but they've all been bought over the newsagent counter.

Likewise, and there are probably quite a lot of us who are in the same boat. Though it'd probably be less use to us in Oz anyway and more of a great resource for US members. Most of the shooting forums seem to have a classifieds section and I gather they work fine without clashing with the magazines associated.

Bark
08-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I've always wondered why this doesn't exist. Maybe put a $500 limit on item price or something. Or to complicate things a bit, maybe WB could charge $1 per posting or something ...

Don Kurylko
08-10-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't get this at all. We can post all sorts of links to items for sale, but can't post directly to a thread on the Forum. I think it's time to just start doing so and let things fall as they may. Remember the thread about designers posting their designs? Didn't seem to be a problem in the end, as long as it wasn't overtly commercial.

Oldad
08-11-2013, 09:25 AM
I don't get this at all. We can post all sorts of links to items for sale, but can't post directly to a thread on the Forum. I think it's time to just start doing so and let things fall as they may. Remember the thread about designers posting their designs? Didn't seem to be a problem in the end, as long as it wasn't overtly commercial.

That might work but it would be even better if there was a separate heading for sell/swap done with WB's blessings. I like the idea of a $ limit since it would not be likely to post a classified in WB for a 40 dollar anchor or a 100 dollar plywood dink

Ted Hoppe
08-11-2013, 10:18 AM
This is a knowledge and professional resource internet site which is tries hard to support the wooden boat community. The formal idea of a classified section in the forum is a slippery slope. If you have things of real interest to swap or you are looking for something to trade with fair intention... post it say in misc boat. Provided you weren't abusing it and was a legitimate need or help to someone else - there it makes sense and you could expect a reasonable helping hand. Otherwise use the classifieds section in the magazine/site as it is a for profit business transaction. There is a precedent for this section which pays in part the for this great forum http://www.woodenboat.com/marketplace (http://www.woodenboat.com/marketplace) - there are many with good intentions but it would quickly degrade to into a craigslist, gumtree or ebay where profit was the only motive to help each other out.

Ian McColgin
08-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Well said Ted. Let us hope we keep this Forum from degenerating into an exploitive flea market.

SMARTINSEN
08-11-2013, 10:50 AM
slippery slope

Says it all.

Oldad
08-11-2013, 03:35 PM
This is a knowledge and professional resource internet site which is tries hard to support the wooden boat community. The formal idea of a classified section in the forum is a slippery slope. If you have things of real interest to swap or you are looking for something to trade with fair intention... post it say in misc boat. Provided you weren't abusing it and was a legitimate need or help to someone else - there it makes sense and you could expect a reasonable helping hand. Otherwise use the classifieds section in the magazine/site as it is a for profit business transaction. There is a precedent for this section which pays in part the for this great forum http://www.woodenboat.com/marketplace (http://www.woodenboat.com/marketplace) - there are many with good intentions but it would quickly degrade to into a craigslist, gumtree or ebay where profit was the only motive to help each other out.
Excellent idea, post your trade/swap/sell to Boating Misc. make sure when you post it would not otherwise compete with WB classifieds and see where it goes. I think the folks on the forum are pretty decent and will do the right thing... if not, put a lock on it.

goodbasil
09-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Would it be a good idea to swap or sell here?
If Mr. X wants to swap a thingy which he says is in good shape etc., and Mr. W trusts him, gets it and its useless, X won't return the item he got, W is stuck with scrap metal, then starts badmouthing X on the forum.
$htye happens, know what I'm saying?

Thad Van Gilder
09-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Lets say I had a 3 pound silicon bronze "bruce" style dinghy anchor with 3 feet of silicon bronze chain...
does anyone have an engine driven holding plate deep freeze setup?

-Thad

Dan Payne
11-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm all for it...
AND... A "marketplace" forum.
I've heard the arguments against it and they are all antiquated.

My 2 cents

Dan Payne
11-25-2013, 11:30 AM
List it in the "classifieds" of a magazine?
And can I read that by oil lamp, mom in her kerchief and me in my cap?
Gentlemen. It's the 90's!
The modern age!

I agree totally, lets not let this degenerate into a flea market circus atmosphere.
Perhaps a fee paid to participate in the "trade forum"
Rules of participation like the existing forum.

I'm just saying, electronic ads are here, print is dead.
Embrace it or not, it's here.
Doing it the old way is just...old.

Dan Payne
11-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Excellent idea, post your trade/swap/sell to Boating Misc. make sure when you post it would not otherwise compete with WB classifieds and see where it goes. I think the folks on the forum are pretty decent and will do the right thing... if not, put a lock on it.
Again, I Agree,
If it goes to hell...$hit Can It!
How do you know if you don't try?

rbgarr
11-25-2013, 11:50 AM
In the interim, create a Craigslist ad and post a link to it here and bump every once in a while. If trading with Wb Forum members only is important to you, limit your ad that way.

davebrown
12-14-2013, 12:54 AM
I want to swap plans for boats that I was flirting with, but which I do not intend to marry. For example, I have a set of the mythical stretched Joel White Shearwater. I do not intend to build it now.

slug
12-14-2013, 02:39 AM
I want to swap plans for boats that I was flirting with, but which I do not intend to marry. For example, I have a set of the mythical stretched Joel White Shearwater. I do not intend to build it now.

Is it ethical to swap plans ?

WI-Tom
12-14-2013, 03:57 AM
I'm just saying, electronic ads are here, print is dead.
Embrace it or not, it's here.
Doing it the old way is just...old.

I hope at least some of you see the irony in posting a comment like this on a forum and magazine dedicated to wooden boats. Or did you mean we should also run out and get the latest carbon fiber/grp/electronic-laden thing and ditch the Herreshoffs and all that other "old" stuff?

By the way, print is not dead...

Tom

Oldad
12-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Is it ethical to swap plans ?

The price of a set of plans gives license for one build. If you bought plans but did not build the boat, you should be able to resell or swap them for something else of value, if you did build from the plans, then no, your license has expired.

slug
12-14-2013, 09:08 AM
The price of a set of plans gives license for one build. If you bought plans but did not build the boat, you should be able to resell or swap them for something else of value, if you did build from the plans, then no, your license has expired.

Difficult problem..need to ask an architect their opinion.

a set of plans includes vast amounts of intellectual property.. By simply looking at the plans you are learning of a vessels scantlings and detailing . this might be considered .. single use.

I frequently must solicit design drawings for existing builds and face resistance from the designers.
These drawings are not for me to build a boat but to perform a repair on an existing design that has been paid for....

best ask first..designers vigorously protect intellectual property

davebrown
12-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Slug: no build, then sell, trade or whatever. Build, then pay the designer or ask permission. I am not taking offense t your comment, but to clarify--these are plans fromwhich I have decided not to build a boat.

Illinois Switzer
12-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I've always wondered why this doesn't exist. Maybe put a $500 limit on item price or something. Or to complicate things a bit, maybe WB could charge $1 per posting or something ... Actually, with the vBulletin that this software runs on, it would be quite simple to either add a subscription for "rights" to post to a specific sub-forum which is what I do on a forum I run. There is also a free forum plugin called OzzModz (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=304635&highlight=classifieds)which could be easily installed by the forum administrators. vBulletin is unbelievably powerful.

Dan Payne
12-28-2013, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=WI-Tom;4001286]I hope at least some of you see the irony in posting a comment like this on a forum and magazine dedicated to wooden boats. Or did you mean we should also run out and get the latest carbon fiber/grp/electronic-laden thing and ditch the Herreshoffs and all that other "old" stuff?

By the way, print is not dead...

Perhaps not dead yet but certainly in the hospice.
In the last 10 years America lost almost half of its paper mills and over half of its paper making capacity. I am on the street after 25 years at International Paper. I apprenticed at a newspaper in 1976. It is long out of business. Nearly all of the printers I worked for since are closed. Over half of my paper clientele are out of business.
WoodenBoat and all magazines will soon only be available on line. It's already started.
Print will always exist in some historic form, as letterpress still exists today, making up less than 1% of all printing. All aspects of lithography are on a steep decline.

I see a parallel between the beauty of classic printed material and classic wood boats. Both are throwbacks from a bygone era. I love all things nostalgic, but recognize their impracticality. We, as antique boat lovers , are oddities.

Print is as alive as the buggy whip, powdered wigs, and the milk man.

BBSebens
12-28-2013, 04:42 PM
I think that's asking a lot from a service which is all ready provided to us in a clean, ad-free format.

There are some who are less than agreeable to our moderators methods. Do you really want to increase his workload?

sully75
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
This seems to work well in other forums I've used, without problems. Tends to be self-regulating. I have a set of plans to the Chameleon Dinghy I decided not to build, got permission from Danny Greene to sell them, but it's hard to find a place to sell them other than here...

rbgarr
12-28-2013, 09:31 PM
This seems to work well in other forums I've used, without problems. Tends to be self-regulating. I have a set of plans to the Chameleon Dinghy I decided not to build, got permission from Danny Greene to sell them, but it's hard to find a place to sell them other than here...

Are the other forums sponsored by for-profit entities that have reputations and business models at stake. That may be a difference to take into account, especially if swaps and 'self-regulation' took a turn for the worse (in ways that we can all imagine).

sully75
12-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Are the other forums sponsored by for-profit entities that have reputations and business models at stake. That may be a difference to take into account, especially if swaps and 'self-regulation' took a turn for the worse (in ways that we can all imagine).

No...you're right. But it seems to be the forum of note, and is limited in that regard.

Don Z.
12-29-2013, 11:25 AM
As most things, I have a strong opinion on the topic. In this case, I feel my opinion is not relevant.

The reason my opinion is not relevant is because it's not "my house". If I go to my friend's house, and he asks me to leave my shoes at the door, I don't tell him my shoes are clean, or my feet are cold, I take my shoes off. If I bore of the practice, I stop going to his house. Similarly, if he chooses to light his house with candles, or heat with something other than what I use in mine, I don't tell him how he's not in the right century, or tell him his wood burning stove adds to smog in the atmosphere.

WoodenBoat is providing a service. It's their house, though I come here to sit by their fire. They get to choose which moose head to hang over the mantlepiece.

Dan Payne
12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Obviously, it's not time yet....
End of story.

Sailor
01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
I suggested a sort of "pay it forward" section a while back with the same idea behind it. I guess as Dan says, it's not time yet. Maybe one day it will work because I see a lot of value in it. We are after all a fairly small community we of the wooden boat following. There are few avenues for us barring our host here and a few other places. Why not use this as a place to trade equipment. It is fairly specialized equipment after all and few others have a need of it. (Who else needs bronze bow chokes in the fiberlgass boat world?)

Dan Payne
01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
I suggested a sort of "pay it forward" section a while back with the same idea behind it. I guess as Dan says, it's not time yet. Maybe one day it will work because I see a lot of value in it. We are after all a fairly small community we of the wooden boat following. There are few avenues for us barring our host here and a few other places. Why not use this as a place to trade equipment. It is fairly specialized equipment after all and few others have a need of it. (Who else needs bronze bow chokes in the fiberlgass boat world?)

Sailor, After further review...it is time, actually overdue. I don't think people are willing to embrace it. I will concede that there may be problems if others conceded the idea has merit and is worth experimenting with.