PDA

View Full Version : I need a new hot water heater...

George Jung
08-06-2013, 06:31 PM
.... just discovered this one is leaking! It's electric; likely stay with it. 80 gallon (not sure I need that much capacity). Favorite brands/suggestions? Yeah, I know - lame thread. But this is important!

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Well now i feel better about shopping for a food processor

seanz
08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Tankless.

Gas calafont? Good if you've got a gas supply. If someone makes an efficient electric tankless system I'd like to know about it.

David G
08-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Solar Assisted. Here's the firm we used, but I'm sure you can find someone similar:

http://www.mrsunsolar.com/what-we-do/solar-water-heating/

The Bigfella
08-06-2013, 07:14 PM
We have a heat pump water heater. Uses bugger-all electricity. No good if you are in a cold environment though.

Incidentally, ours was leaking too and I replaced the pressure release valve yesterday. Is it your tank that's leaking, or something like the valve?

SMARTINSEN
08-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Pick up the July issue of Fine Homebuilding wherein there is a flow chart to help you make the decision.

The most efficient way to go is a gas fired-heat pump combo. One of the carpenters that I work with has an energy efficiency consultancy and she says the payback is less than 3 years.

pefjr
08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Call, Sears, Home depot , or Lowes. Any one of those will take care of your problems,....and this week's paycheck too,.....well not you Doc, you will have plenty left over. BTW, didn't you just buy a house, your Home Owners policy may take care of it. I got a new stove out of my recent home purchase , and a few years ago a new pool pump.

George Jung
08-06-2013, 08:08 PM
The pressure release valve looks intact - the leakage is actually coming out of one of the access holes on top of the tank - no way to actually visualize the tank short of taking it apart. The leakage is rusty - not a good sign. It's an electric water heater, but I've got an NG forced-air furnace. Not sure how/why a homeowners policy would cover this - but am willing to learn! And this appears to take care of the salary for awhile (remember, I'm primary care - we work for peanuts) - $900 - 1200, depending on tank type, plus $250 for installation. Good times.

Garret
08-06-2013, 08:23 PM
A friend just had a NG 40 gal. heater replaced for ~800 total & was quoted ~1600 for tankless. No new plumbing - but your price seems high. Also - 40 gal. gas is roughly equivalent to 80 electric, as it reheats much faster. If you alrady have a gas furnace, you might check on prices. Talk to your gas company also - sometimes they have deals to get people to switch.

pumpkin
08-06-2013, 08:28 PM
The pressure release valve looks intact - the leakage is actually coming out of one of the access holes on top of the tank - no way to actually visualize the tank short of taking it apart. The leakage is rusty - not a good sign. It's an electric water heater, but I've got an NG forced-air furnace. Not sure how/why a homeowners policy would cover this - but am willing to learn! And this appears to take care of the salary for awhile (remember, I'm primary care - we work for peanuts) - $900 - 1200, depending on tank type, plus $250 for installation. Good times.

I went through this a couple of months ago. I installed the cheapest electric one from Menards that was the same height, a 55 gallon one. It cost $220. plus a few dollars worth of fittings. The eco ratings were about the same as the more expensive ones but the cheaper one had better reviews, go figure. If it lasts 10 years I'm still $500 ahead. It heats water, that's all.

AnalogKid
08-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Ian, what brand is your heat-pump cylinder, and does it have a regular element for backup? (it gets as low as 1 degree C on the odd night here).

We're considering going this way not just to reduce the power bill, but if we get an integrated unit then it free's up a lot of useful storage space in the house as well.

It's a major project though because we need building consent to change from low pressure to mains pressure, and we'll have to change all the taps and the shower fitting while we're at it.

Dan Payne
08-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Hot Water Heater?
Why do you have to heat your hot water?

Garret
08-06-2013, 09:00 PM
It's line a PIN number....

pefjr
08-06-2013, 09:03 PM
The pressure release valve looks intact - the leakage is actually coming out of one of the access holes on top of the tank - no way to actually visualize the tank short of taking it apart. The leakage is rusty - not a good sign. It's an electric water heater, but I've got an NG forced-air furnace. Not sure how/why a homeowners policy would cover this - but am willing to learn! And this appears to take care of the salary for awhile (remember, I'm primary care - we work for peanuts) - $900 - 1200, depending on tank type, plus $250 for installation. Good times.Sorry, not a Home Owner Policy , it's the home buyer warrantee. If you bought through a realtor you probably have it, it's standard here, the sellers pays for it. Good for a year with options to renew.

The Bigfella
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Ian, what brand is your heat-pump cylinder, and does it have a regular element for backup? (it gets as low as 1 degree C on the odd night here).

We're considering going this way not just to reduce the power bill, but if we get an integrated unit then it free's up a lot of useful storage space in the house as well.

It's a major project though because we need building consent to change from low pressure to mains pressure, and we'll have to change all the taps and the shower fitting while we're at it.

Ours is a Quantum Energy heater. They aren't cheap, something like $3,500, but there is (or was) a government rebate that covered part of the cost. This is the second one we've had. We installed the first one in '93. Can't remember when, but the tank eventually rusted out. It ain't easy being green.

AnalogKid
08-06-2013, 10:06 PM
I just read a consumer report (albeit a 4-year-old one) that rated Quantum above the Rheem, which was the one I'd looked at previously. What's more, they're available from several local suppliers. My plumber mate hasn't done a heat pump cylinder before though, I wonder what he'd make of it.

Also - by email I just received a notice of this (http://www.solarcity.co.nz/intelligent-roof) - PV solar and solar hot water all in a combined total roof covering. I'd love to go for it but a) it'd be really pricey and b) our ridge line runs north-south so we don't have optimally angled north facing roof surface.

Waddie
08-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Tankless.

We have a Bosch tankless for the main bathroom. I use a restricted shower head, and have all the hot water I want for showering. I recommend Bosch products. I installed it.

regards,
Waddie

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Okay, I've resisted 4 long hours to ask...why do you want to heat hot water, George?
I know it's lame...I know!;)

MiddleAgesMan
08-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Just get a water heater.

Why anyone would want to heat hot water is beyond me.

OIC Gene has beat me toit! :)

George Jung
08-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Yup - yer hot water can never be too! AFA the price spread - I'm suspecting it goes along the lines of 'a new one is born every minute'. I wouldn't mind switching to NG - but don't know how long that'd take - and swmbo is a bit antsy about no HW right now. The Inline, tankless looks interesting, too - same questions. Thanks for the input.

Paul Pless
08-07-2013, 05:45 AM
and swmbo is a bit antsy about no HW right nowwhen ours went out a few years ago, i had a new one installed before my wife made it home for dinner. . .

Tom Wilkinson
08-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Marathon. Fiberglass tank with a lifetime warranty.
http://www.marathonheaters.com/

David W Pratt
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM
We have a Rinnai, tankless in VT, only drawback seems to be it needs a big flow to stay on.
A friend here has one with a little turbine that generates elec to light the pilot, works in power outages

willmarsh3
08-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I replaced mine with a Bradford White after it had started leaking. I was able to get it locally and the unit was almost identical to the one it replaced so the replumbing was minimal. Plus they had it done within a couple days of me making the call. The repair guys took it out to the curb and an anonymous scrap metal guy came and picked it up before they left.

I had looked at heat pump and solar thermal but the installation time and cost were much higher than I wanted at this point.

PhaseLockedLoop
08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I'd just use the hot water as-is. If it cools off too much, you can heat it up again with a regular water heater.

George Jung
08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Bought a regular water heater (electric) from Menards. It's the same company as Rheem - got the 9 yr warranted one, they had a big rebate going, and a friend is helping me put it in. Called some of the 'professionals' in town - they all wanted to make a 'house call' first (that'll be $75), so they could make recommendations. I don't think so! I figure I'll be into it for about $450 plus beer, maybe a steak.

Garret
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Now you're talking! Excellent!

Lew Barrett
08-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I'll echo the tankless sentiment. We replaced our tank system with a pair of Rinnai water heaters. They free room in the basement as they live outside, and they are said to be good for twenty years. They only run on demand, so you are not constantly heating sixty gallons of water and because they are tankless, there is no tank to leak! I'm happy with the conversion. Oops, I see I am too late. Never mind, just enjoy your cheap water heater!

Bob Adams
08-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Hot Water Heater?
Why do you have to heat your hot water?

Beat me to it. George Carlin would be proud of you.

skipper68
08-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Why is this here? Buy one.;)
Somewhere, somehow, there is a water heater just waiting for you to bring it home.:D

I have more issues with nail polish remover.
AND really pretty nail polish. $5 bucks tops.:arg

The Bigfella
08-07-2013, 09:57 PM
If'n you are going to get yourself in hot water, why not have some fun while you do it?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSauL-YF2vRZOYyqJawbgZZ8bd353939AfWwEl0L3uibgkxPJWM

Lew Barrett
08-08-2013, 01:25 AM
That just looks like old people making frog soup. We'll need larger, higher res and more graphic images to decide what is fun.

skipper68
08-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Looks like they are people soup!
He only needs a water heater,
This is not rocket science, just put the dang thing in!
(As I would say to the Captain)
NOW.
Energy saver is a +.

George Jung
08-08-2013, 07:17 AM
That just looks like old people making frog soup. We'll need larger, higher res and more graphic images to decide what is fun. We're talking naked old people, Lew - the less resolution and magnification, the better! And Skipper - 'it's in', and working just fine. Though sweating one of the joints was interesting - kept leaking (wasn't aligned quite right).

skipper68
08-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Good news indeed!
Sweating a joint is mandatory, isn't it? ;)