PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to block out Bilge posts in FORUM RUNNER when checking for new posts?

Skegemog
08-06-2013, 11:45 AM
A few years back the administrators were able to change the way the forum interface worked when using a browser so that when one checked for new posts the bilge posts were excluded. I very much appreciated this change but now I find myself checking the forum more and more often from my iPhone or iPad using the Forum Runner app. because the app does not filter the results when seeking new posts, I am once again subjected daily to the exceedingly annoying political and social commentary of the denizens of the Bilge. I begrudge no one their opinion as long as I am not compelled to read it but seeing as there seem to be 5 bilge posts for every 1 WOODEN BOAT posts the drivel from the bilge is flooding out the posts I come to this forum to read. Surely there are others who feel the same way? Can something be done? Many thanks in advance!

Yeadon
08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks to FORUM RUNNER I've re-discovered the amazing "Phillip Allen," who I find quite refreshing after being forced to read all those boring sail & oar threads.

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
rofl

Bobby of Tulsa
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
So those things make you read the bilge??? Seem a simple matter to me.

John of Phoenix
08-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I am once again subjected daily to the exceedingly annoying political and social commentary of the denizens of the Bilge. Why don't you come on down and have a good long whine? You'll fit right in. :D

Ian McColgin
08-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Or put the settings to show the new of each deck in order and just don't read the Bilge, which is at the bottom anyway.

Skegemog
08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Or put the settings to show the new of each deck in order and just don't read the Bilge, which is at the bottom anyway.

I've tried, forum runner doesn't allow it as far as I can determine.

Skegemog
08-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Why don't you come on down and have a good long whine? You'll fit right in. :D

believe me I've been tempted but don't really need the aggravation

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 03:38 PM
what are the supposed advantages of forum runner? It doesn't show the forum in its full format and its more difficult to post replies from; so why not just access the forum via your phone's or tablet's browser?

James McMullen
08-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Skegemog, I deleted Forum Runner and just use regular old Safari to access on my iPhone. I agree with you the the Bilge is far more pleasant to encounter when you decide you actively want to go to it on your own terms, rather than have to always sift through the scunge just to find the posts you are actually interested in.

Who is this Philip Allen, anyways? What kind of boat does he have? Can't recall ever once seeing him around topsides.

Skegemog
08-06-2013, 03:49 PM
what are the supposed advantages of forum runner? It doesn't show the forum in its full format and its more difficult to post replies from; so why not just access the forum via your phone's or tablet's browser? fewer steps if you just want to read and don't feel the need to weigh in. There are a number of builds I follow and interesting topics being discussed above the bilge. Far too much invective and posturing in the bilge with little relevance to my interests. If I wanted to read predictable posts from people unshakably convinced of their superiority and rectitude I can check out Kos, or Democratic underground or Free Republic or whatever; its boring and annoying

Skegemog
08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Skegemog, I deleted Forum Runner and just use regular old Safari to access on my iPhone. I agree with you the the Bilge is far more pleasant to encounter when you decide you actively want to go to it on your own terms, rather than have to always sift through the scunge just to find the posts you are actually interested in.

I haven't tried that in a while maybe its time to go back to that approach, thanks

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 03:53 PM
If I wanted to read predictable posts from people unshakably convinced of their superiority and rectitude I can check out Kos, or Democratic underground or Free Republic or whatever; its boring and annoyingOne thing the bilge does have going for it compared to those other sites is a balance of view from all sides (including international) of an issue. And then of course the other thing it has going for it is Phillip Allen - I mean you can't get that just anywhere. . .