PDA

View Full Version : Spain is now taxing the sun.

varadero
08-06-2013, 02:47 AM
A new Royal decree here in Spain now makes mandatory registration of any solar power instalation, for the purpose of taxation, law.
Any private or public solar installation will now be subject to a tax based on the generating capacity of the installation. It is now also illegal to store excess collected energy in batteries for use at night or "low sun" days if there is an electric supply availiable. Any entity found to be collecting sunlight for the purpose of generating electricity without registration will be subject to a fine not exceeding 30 million Euros.

"If you get caught collecting photons of sunlight for your own use, you can be fined as much as 30 million euros.

If you were thinking the best energy option was to buy some solar panels that were down 80% in price, you can forget about it.

"Of all the possible scenarios, this is the worst," said Josť Donoso, president of the Spanish Photovoltaic Union (UNEF), which represents 85% of the sector's activity.

Before the decree it took 12 years to recover the investment in a residential installation of 2.4 kilowatts of power. Following the decree, it will take an additional 23 years according to estimates by UNEF."

skuthorp
08-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Are we presuming that this is not a product of The Onion or some such satirical comment?

By George it's real!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpheuqFdPrs

Some sort of political nonsense, probably the power companies are concerned that they may become redundant as the technology changes, and power companies are better donors to political parties than your average householder with a panel on his roof.

P-man
08-06-2013, 05:55 AM
I guess they'll be taxing air next.

skuthorp
08-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Better watch out lest, taking some US Agri-businesses as an example, they try to patent it.

varadero
08-06-2013, 07:16 AM
The cost of solar panels has dropped by 80% over the last 5 years. The power companies have invested heavely due to Govt susidies for renewable energy. The Govt now pays out 1600 million Euros more in subsidies than it collects in taxes from electric consumers. People are cutting back on power consuption, and using more efficient devices, or installing panels. Recently the Govt told the power companies that the subsidies would have to be reduced. The power companies lawyers got in on the act....... And here we are. Hahahahahaahah

Keith Wilson
08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
This seems memorably stupid. OTOH 'Royal Decree'? IIRC Spain has had a democratic government (a constitutional monarchy, much like Great Britain or the Netherlands) since Franco's death in 1975.

Reynard38
08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
That'll teach those solar energy entrepreneurs not to mess with big energy or government.
And I thought only our politicians did really stupid crap like this.

Gerarddm
08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Spain is broke, so there will be ingenious ways to generate €.

Keith Wilson
08-06-2013, 10:17 AM
And I thought only our politicians did really stupid crap like this.American Exceptionalism! :d No, we're no stupider than the rest of the world, just stupid in somewhat different ways.

wardd
08-06-2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-01/spain-hurts-solar-with-plan-to-penalize-power-producers.html

so far it's only in draft form

Syed
08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/06/article-2384978-1B2775E7000005DC-339_634x401.jpg

skuthorp
08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Like that Syed, can you imagine on sunday morning…….."Honey, I'm just going out to mow the bus………."