PDA

View Full Version : conversation about predation correction

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 11:31 AM
This is specific predation. The other day, Sarah was sitting on the back porch step in the late morning and a hen came racing around the corner toward her with a red fox hot on her heels… the fox left when Sarah made a noise but it’s clear that something needs to be done. The problem as I see it is that Sarah is both tenderhearted and not the hunting type. She is not going to carry the shotgun around with her and that’s the only way she can count on a chance ‘meeting’ resulting in a shot at the fox(s).

I am supposing that a predator call and sitting in the tick filled woods is the only thing I can do. Are there any other observations?

Bobby of Tulsa
08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Lefty traps them feeds them and lets them go. That might work for you. Oh, he said they like fried chicken.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
This may sound crazy, but why not build a run for the chickens?

it ain't gonna happen. one of the very reasons for the chickens is to control the ticks... the run un-does that. anyway, in the past, the critters (coons) actually broke into the chicken house.
Sarah's two dogs have to be pennede up because they are chickern killers themselves... did I say she was tenderhearted?

coons
coyotes
foxes
occational coopers hawk (they haven't come back since I put a load of shot near (missed on purpose)

Full Tilt
08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I am supposing that a predator call and sitting in the tick filled woods is the only thing I can do. Are there any other observations?

Careful "sitting in the tick filled woods" Phillip.

Ticks carry 'Lyme Disease' which causes many debilitating physiological symptoms similar to lead poisoning.

Mike

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Careful "sitting in the tick filled woods" Phillip.

Ticks carry 'Lyme Disease' which causes many debilitating physiological symptoms similar to lead poisoning.

Mike

that'll be what kills the fox

I don't mind the ticks so much but I don't like the big grey ones that get in the corners of my eyes and in my ears

Full Tilt
08-05-2013, 01:07 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Phillip ain't afeared of no stinkin' 'Lyme Disease!'

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Phillip ain't afeared of no stinkin' 'Lyme Disease!'

I looked it up... it's concentrated in our Northeast. No reports locally... anyway, that brings us back to protecting the chickens, don't it?

Canoeyawl
08-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Seems like you should do the same thing with the dogs, whatever you decide to do to the fox.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Seems like you should do the same thing with the dogs, whatever you decide to do to the fox.

she could use a good farm-yard dog... these are not the ones though... she's had them for 15 years from when she lived in town... killing them probably feels like betrayal

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Sarah should butt out and let nature take its course or pen the bloody chicken. I suspect the hen could fly..not far but enough!

MikeWinVA
08-05-2013, 05:48 PM
A friend that is a farmer raising free range chickens uses a portable fence to pen the chickens in. Moves it from area to area to clean out the bugs and keeps the foxes out. They are like portable cattle fences but lighter and have wire fencing to keep critters out and birds in. His little chicken house looks like an old time gypsy wagon.

Old Dryfoot
08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Shoot all of the dogs, racoons, foxes, and hawks... safe chickens, problem solved.

BTW, how are the chickens doing with eating all of the ticks? I'd think that would take a lot of chickens, or one really hungry one.

Waddie
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Once when I was on the outskirts of Little Rock, we were standing around when I thought it was a horde of nats sweeping by - but on further inspection they were ticks, just blowing by on the wind. I never saw such a thing before or since. I must of pulled 20 or 30 of the darn things off of me later when I had time. I hope you have enough chickens !!!!

regards,
Waddie

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Shoot all of the dogs, racoons, foxes, and hawks... safe chickens, problem solved.

BTW, how are the chickens doing with eating all of the ticks? I'd think that would take a lot of chickens, or one really hungry one.

the ticks have largely dissappeard in the yard where the chickens roam... no poisons needed

you must have missed the part where it was obvious that I was avoiding the killing of hawks to say such a thing. Pay closer attention to what is written and you can avoid such mistakes and have less to be apologetic for.

Old Dryfoot
08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Linky (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?166093-I-was-gonna-say-something-snarky-then-I-thought-of-the-quot-Golden-Rule-quot). ;)

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Linky (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?166093-I-was-gonna-say-something-snarky-then-I-thought-of-the-quot-Golden-Rule-quot). ;)

you had to consider who said what and who said it first... snark had already happened, now, hadn't it? :)

townies... rolling eyes now

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 08:31 PM
What the heck?

Kill all the wild life you wish.

Who ever decreed that they deserve to exist to the detriment of human-created livestock?

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
What the heck?

Kill all the wild life you wish.

Who ever decreed that they deserve to exist to the detriment of human-created livestock?

if you think that's what I said... your thinking is strangely wrong and many of my past musings and posts debunk to that accutation...

the more humorous answer would have been "chicken unions" :)

Old Dryfoot
08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

The townies obviously, whoever they are.

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Evidently Arkies would rather kill foxes (wildlife) than eliminate chicken-killing dogs (man-made creatures).

And they are evidently too lazy to take preventative measures such as presented by MikeWinVA in post #12. I'd accept the argument that they cannot AFFORD MikeWinVA's recommendation were it not for the fact that they appear to own hundreds of dollars worth of firearms and ammunition. :rolleyes:

I think they are probably just lazy.

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Phillip...Get off the computer and go build one of these..
http://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5325966/width/160/height/126/flags/LL

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Phillip...Get off the computer and go build one of these..
http://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5325966/width/160/height/126/flags/LL

doesn't take care of Sarah's wants an d needs... and you with Lyme disease... and she has one that she puts them at night

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Evidently Arkies would rather kill foxes (wildlife) than eliminate chicken-killing dogs (man-made creatures).

And they are evidently too lazy to take preventative measures such as presented by MikeWinVA in post #12. I'd accept the argument that they cannot AFFORD MikeWinVA's recommendation were it not for the fact that they appear to own hundreds of dollars worth of firearms and ammunition. :rolleyes:

I think they are probably just lazy.

you've been sniping at me all day and now you're sniping at my child... you need to think about that

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Does the shoe fit?

You've had a thread "poofed" today. So maybe the problem is not me.

In any event, it is really too bad that my remarks sting you. Maybe you should reflect upon why they sting.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Does the shoe fit?

It is really too bad that my remarks sting you. Maybe you should reflect upon why they sting.

you are rude for calling Sarah out

#1 Management takes a dim view of threads calling out other Forumites [daughters]...

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I said NOTHING about one's daughter or any other family member. I said, "Management takes a dim view of threads calling out other Forumites." The proof is in the pudding. Your thread was "poofed."

Altering my remark is scurrilous, low, and shameful. Of course, you have proven to be shameless.

Or maybe I give you too much credit. Maybe you are simply ignorant?

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:28 PM
P.S. You don't want Forumites commenting on your daughter's decisions? Then don't post to the Forum about your daughter's choices.

Clear?

Full Tilt
08-05-2013, 09:39 PM
I don't mind the ticks so much but I don't like the big grey ones that get in the corners of my eyes and in my ears

You did get them out of your ears eventually, didn't you Phillip?

Mike:confused:

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
doesn't take care of Sarah's wants an d needs... and you with Lyme disease... and she has one that she puts them at nightOne what? Needs? She needs a bloody chicken coop Phillip if she is worried about the chickens. Go build her one..Make it a family project!

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
One what? Needs? She needs a bloody chicken coop Phillip if she is worried about the chickens. Go build her one..Make it a family project!

re read the post... she HAS the chicken house and puts them in it at night... read slower

remember she wants the ticks eaten by the chickens... you guys have the ability to make boiling water complicated fer gosh sakes!

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Then she should leave them in the coop. If she doesn't she should lose a few to predators and expect to.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:47 PM
You did get them out of your ears eventually, didn't you Phillip?

Mike:confused:

thanks... I can't even tell a joke sometimes withoug being attacked

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Right. So the problem is during the day.

So why is a simple solution such as that recommended by MikeWinVA beyond your/her ability? Sell a few firearms and use the proceeds to purchase the materials for portable fencing.

Or don't and indulge your desire to kill the wildlife.

It occurs to me that you never wanted advice. You merely wanted confirmation of your plight and decision.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Then she should leave them in the coop. If she doesn't she should lose a few to predators and expect to.

Jamie... I will make it hot for coyotes and foxes that come near the house... those further away will be left alone... WHY THE HECK DO i HAVE TO EXPLAIN SUCH SIMPLE THINGS!!!

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Right. So the problem is during the day.

So why is a simple solution such as that recommended by MikeWinVA beyond your/her ability? Sell a few firearms and use the proceeds to purchase the materials for portable fencing.

Or don't and indulge your desire to kill the wildlife.

you need to back up your accusation that I have a desire to kill wildlife... don't evade... I'm getting tired of your blatent rudeness... maybe you need some Preperation H

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:52 PM
OPEN FIRE!

Just don't expect Forumites to cheer.

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
you need to back up your accusation that I have a desire to kill wildlife... don't evade... You dismiss reasonable alternatives.

I'm getting tired of your blatent rudeness... maybe you need some Preperation H
I grow tired of your blatant trolling. Maybe you need a clue.

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Jamie... I will make it hot for coyotes and foxes that come near the house... those further away will be left alone... WHY THE HECK DO i HAVE TO EXPLAIN SUCH SIMPLE THINGS!!!
I bet the wildlife was there before you were Phillip. Using your logic, you should arm the wildlife so they can shoot you as the invader from h*ll.

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Phillip enjoys shooting his firearms. He is looking forward to crouching in the tick-filled woods in wait of a fox to kill. Not only can he shoot his gun, he can legally kill a sentient being AND feel like he is helping someone.

A Trifecta!

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I bet the wildlife was there before you were Phillip. Using your logic, you should arm the wildlife so they can shoot you as the invader from h*ll.

I can see an occasional loss of a chicken but to date the chicken body count is approaching 100... we keep buying more chicks and raising them inside until they can be let out to cruise the yard... one hen brought off a clutch of chicks this year... two are left

I'm talking predator CONTROL and not eradication as many here seem to think... we seem to think in extremes only in the bilge... ever notice that?

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't think he's into crouching. I think his knees would feel the pain of getting back up. Not much exercise on the range.

Tom Montgomery
08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Phillip, you have not addressed post #38. Don't evade

Full Tilt
08-05-2013, 10:06 PM
tick tick tick tick tick

:)

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I can see an occasional loss of a chicken but to date the chicken body count is approaching 100... we keep buying more chicks and raising them inside until they can be let out to cruise the yard... one hen brought off a clutch of chicks this year... two are left

I'm talking predator CONTROL and not eradication as many here seem to think... we seem to think in extremes only in the bilge... ever notice that?I bet you wish you had a machine gun Phillip. You are not talking about control. If you were, you'd put your bloody chickens in a coop. You've lost almost 100 chickens!!!! I find that hard to digest.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 10:09 PM
she never has more than ab out 10 adults at any one time

... and you can stop the machinegun crap, Jamie. Are you channeling Tom?

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Don't need to Phillip; channel anyone that is. As Tom said, you are avoiding/ignoring some posts rather blatantly.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Don't need to Phillip; channel anyone that is. As Tom said, you are avoiding/ignoring some posts rather blatantly.

moving (tractor) pens are not practical... I'm not going to waste time explaining to anyone
all other options have been tried... I'm not gonna talk about that either...

get over yuourselves

S.V. Airlie
08-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Phillip...go get a job! You need to do something away from the computer. Take up knitting...SOMETHING!!!!!

Phillip Allen
08-05-2013, 11:58 PM
I don't suppose anyone noticed the change to the thread title...?

(Gratuitous, accusatory shouting match about predation correction)

Mrleft8
08-06-2013, 07:25 AM
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/Mrleft8/IMG_3423_zps1de2dee8.jpg

Mrleft8
08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
lazy, hardheaded, obtuse, closeminded, are all adjectives that come to mind this morning. . .

So you come to us with an issue, and you've already decided on the best outcome, and now you're gonna get testy with folks that are offering (reasonable) suggestions, WTH???

I'm no expert on chickens, nor am I an expert on predators. But I do know a few things, mostly related to common sense. Mostly foxes and coons are problems for chickens at night, mostly. Most people that I know that successfully raise chickens at home, keep them in a coop at night, and let them run free during the day. Seems an easy decision to me, build a coop or continue to lose chickens. . .

As an aside, your rants about raising chickens and losing them to foxes, make you sound like townie moved to the country.

Said the carpet bagging southern townie moved to the north country... :D

LeeG
08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Phillip, you asked for observations in your opening post, not solutions. My observation is that your daughter has unrealistic expectations and you want to support her in them. Why not simply accept and enjoy the system she has settled upon?

John of Phoenix
08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
From what I've read before, the problem isn't so much foxes as untrained dogs. Why doesn't she work on that problem. It's not that difficult. Or she can just let them keep slaughtering chickens.

BrianW
08-06-2013, 09:34 AM
From what I've read before, the problem isn't so much foxes as untrained dogs. Why doesn't she work on that problem. It's not that difficult. Or she can just let them keep slaughtering chickens.

The dogs aren't a problem. They're penned up. He said they are old, and from the city. I think it's quite honorable for Sarah to take good care of them until they die of natural causes.

It makes no sense that a couple people recommend they be shot.

BrianW
08-06-2013, 09:38 AM
lazy, hardheaded, obtuse, closeminded, are all adjectives that come to mind this morning. . .

So you come to us with an issue, and you've already decided on the best outcome, and now you're gonna get testy with folks that are offering (reasonable) suggestions, WTH???

I've only seen one reasonable suggestion. For whatever reason, a moving pen system is not feasible for Sarah.

The vast majority of the replies have been nothing but ugly. Truly a low moment in Bilge history.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Said the carpet bagging southern townie moved to the north country... :D
he's pretty consistant at 'side blasts'

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 09:54 AM
the dogs are penned all the time

the chickens are penned at night (hen house)

the fox came just before noon

all this information has already been stated any yet there are people who continue to make 'observations' apparently based on their ignorance of these things cited above

no one ASKED if they were penned, etc, they only criticized that the chickens were not and suggested and even DEMANDED those as remidies... it is insulting that people can act so authoritively within such ignorance

not unlike the congresswoman who thought that once the 'bullets' were used up out of a clip/magazine, that the clip/magazine couldn't be reused and yet daily makes decisions which affect our lives from within deep ignorance... perhaps even BANKING REGULATION and such.

I remind you that I asked for 'conversation' and yet people see fit to roundly criticize not only me but my daughter who, as Tom might put it, isn't here to defend herself!

the rules speak of rudeness but that is ignored mostly... I confess that I have done this as well but I AM trying to limit that rudeness... the problem is that no one notices when one is NOT being rude and only take notice when one IS being rude... thus protracting their own ignorance

John of Phoenix
08-06-2013, 10:01 AM
I visited Prince Edward Island a couple of years ago and there were some towns that had free range chickens all over the place. There were private coops that people kept and a couple in city parks. It was strange eating outside at a restaurant to have a flock of chickens walk through but no one paid them any attention. Sure kept the bugs down and both the chickens and dogs were well behaved.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:02 AM
for Paul... as I have said already, the chickens range freely during the day and return to the hen house at night... When she's been out of town, Sarah has arranged for a neighbor to come let them out in the morning and to put them up at night... also all the feeding and observation of various animals.

the word for the day is ass-u-me. That word frequently leads ua astray

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I visited Prince Edward Island a couple of years ago and there were some towns that had free range chickens all over the place. There were private coops that people kept and a couple in city parks. It was strange eating outside at a restaurant to have a flock of chickens walk through but no one paid them any attention. Sure kept the bugs down and both the chickens and dogs were well behaved.

this is what Sarah intends to have happen... the hang up is a couple of very territorial dogs... no new dogs so long as these two must remain penned with another running free

John of Phoenix
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
So her dogs are no longer killing chickens? That's a dramatic change from your thread about all the chickens the dogs had killed. What changed?

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:16 AM
So her dogs are no longer killing chickens? That's a dramatic change from your thread about all the chickens the dogs had killed. What changed?

so long as they stay in the pen... if they get out, which happens rarely but DOES happen... then chickens get killed willy-nilly. they are old and one has a cancer (maybe). Sarah has been their caretaker since they were puppies and believes it would be a kind of betrayal to change the relationship just because they have become 'inconvenient'... it has more to do with good character than shouting and waving our arms here in the bilge.

John of Phoenix
08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
So nothing has changed with the dogs, she's just better about keeping them penned and is waiting for them to die, right?

I would say the occasional fox is not out of the norm then - just the cost of doing business, so to speak. But if the same one keeps coming back, as is very likely, and given your rejection of other choices, you'll be faced with either trapping and relocating it or killing it outright.

Did you think there were any other options when you started this thread?

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
So nothing has changed with the dogs, she's just better about keeping them penned and is waiting for them to die, right?

I would say the occasional fox is not out of the norm then - just the cost of doing business, so to speak. But if the same one keeps coming back, as is very likely, and given your rejection of other choices, you'll be faced with either trapping and relocating it or killing it outright.

Did you think there were any other options when you started this thread?

no rejection has happened by me... I DID try these other things where possible

the exception is tractor pens

all the information is here if you just read it

finally, I thought CONVERSATION might bring up something practical that I hadn't thought of... it did not. it only brought harsh behavior to the fore. I am beginning to see that people only have (mostly) a single minded reason to come here... then there are foolish people like me who think, "Maybe it will be different this time if I try just once more"

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I am beginning to see that people only have (mostly) a single minded reason to come here...i admit it, i'm mostly here for the boats. . .

BrianW
08-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Trapping is certainly an option... maybe.

I believe in another thread, it was pointed out that in many areas relocating wild animals is illegal. So, perhaps it's not an option.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Trapping is certainly an option... maybe.

I believe in another thread, it was pointed out that in many areas relocating wild animals is illegal. So, perhaps it's not an option.

we tried trapping

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
we'll try to call em up and kill em but even THAT can fail to work... it's just the next thing to try

BrianW
08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I bet the wildlife was there before you were Phillip.

You really think the fox is older than Phillip?

Maybe a tortoise? But even that is doubtful.

PhaseLockedLoop
08-06-2013, 10:45 AM
This is specific predation. The other day, Sarah was sitting on the back porch step in the late morning and a hen came racing around the corner toward her with a red fox hot on her heels… the fox left when Sarah made a noise but it’s clear that something needs to be done. The problem as I see it is that Sarah is both tenderhearted and not the hunting type. She is not going to carry the shotgun around with her and that’s the only way she can count on a chance ‘meeting’ resulting in a shot at the fox(s).

Fencing in the whole area might work. If it's just one fox, and you think you can get a shot at it from cover, you could try blasting it with salt. I doubt very much that Sarah, or anyone, would have much chance of picking off a surprise appearance by a running fox.

I've still got a murder of crows hanging around the house, pecking at reflections of their stupid selves in windows, cars, and so on. They started doing this last spring (2012) and haven't let up. They've pecked the hell out of the cars' paintwork, pulled off the windshield wipers, torn up the rubber around the sunroofs. I got a remote-control owl, which they befriended. I did try sitting out waiting for them with a 20-gauge, but I can't move (when they're in range) without spooking them. All I got was mosquito bits. Finally we got covers for two of the cars, and left the oldest one uncovered. We use it for errands and let them whale away at it. The cawing drives my wife frantic sometimes.

People have funny ideas about wildlife. Years ago I had a bird feeder in a side yard, which attracted various pretty birds. One day when friends were watching and admiring the birds, there was a feathery explosion and a sharp-shinned hawk appeared on the ground, tearing apart a colorful bird. Oh, the horror! What to do? I was calm. It was a bird feeder, right?

BrianW
08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
we tried trapping

Maybe Doug can give you some trapping pointers. ;)

BrianW
08-06-2013, 10:48 AM
we'll try to call em up and kill em but even THAT can fail to work... it's just the next thing to try

Now there's a subject worth discussing! What kind of caller? Electronic? Maybe one with a twitching bunny tail thing-a-bob?

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Now there's a subject worth discussing! What kind of caller? Electronic? Maybe one with a twitching bunny tail thing-a-bob?

haven't got one yet... haven even shopped yet

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I think there's a good chance that even missing a shot will instruct a fox... all we need is for them to get their meals elsewhere

BrianW
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
haven't got one yet... haven even shopped yet

Maybe make one out of wood? ;)

I think you could find a nice 'fawn in distress' call out there, made from wood.

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 11:11 AM

I think there's a good chance that even missing a shot will instruct a fox... all we need is for them to get their meals elsewhere

if the idea is to discourage the predators, then calling them in seems a bit counter-intuitive. . .

phillip do you think you can actually shoot a fox? you start many many hunting threads, often speaking down at antihunters, or at city folk that come to the country to hunt, yet iirc, you haven't actually taken a shot at a wild animal in decades. . .

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
if the idea is to discourage the predators, then calling them in seems a bit counter-intuitive. . .

phillip do you think you can actually shoot a fox? you start many many hunting threads, often speaking down at antihunters, or at city folk that come to the country to hunt, yet iirc, you haven't actually taken a shot at a wild animal in decades. . .

perhaps I'll find out
I've said before the 'reason' must be adequate... killing for entertainment is out as far as I'm concerned

John of Phoenix
08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
finally, I thought CONVERSATION might bring up something practical that I hadn't thought of... it did not. Actually it did but you rejected it.

There are two elements to your problem - chicken and fox.

You've ruled out doing anything with the chickens so that leaves the fox.

You've tried, failed and given up on trapping.

That leaves killing it, which you're either unwilling or incapable of doing.

Since you're not going to actually DO anything, that leaves the fox to do what foxes do - "Some days chicken, some days feathers but there's always tomorrow."

Someone with your superior intellect should have sorted this out long ago.

S.V. Airlie
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
You really think the fox is older than Phillip?

Maybe a tortoise? But even that is doubtful.You refers to mankind dude! He is or has stated to me directly, (posted) that he will shoot any fox or coyote that comes on HIS property.

Mrleft8
08-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Old chickens with cancer should be kept away from penned up dogs.... Just for the dogs' safety.....
If you've tried trapping the fox, and have been unsuccessful, you're not doing it right......
All that said, if a fox, or coyote, or Fisher cat is targeting your chickens, then just shoot them if you have the chance..... But you might think twice about asking advice or soliciting suggestions: {This is specific predation. The other day, Sarah was sitting on the back porch step in the late morning and a hen came racing around the corner toward her with a red fox hot on her heels… the fox left when Sarah made a noise but it’s clear that something needs to be done. The problem as I see it is that Sarah is both tenderhearted and not the hunting type. She is not going to carry the shotgun around with her and that’s the only way she can count on a chance ‘meeting’ resulting in a shot at the fox(s).

I am supposing that a predator call and sitting in the tick filled woods is the only thing I can do. Are there any other observations? }on a Wooden Boat forum filled with tree hugging city folks...

Paul Pless
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
:D iii

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Old chickens with cancer should be kept away from penned up dogs.... Just for the dogs' safety.....
If you've tried trapping the fox, and have been unsuccessful, you're not doing it right......
All that said, if a fox, or coyote, or Fisher cat is targeting your chickens, then just shoot them if you have the chance..... But you might think twice about asking advice or soliciting suggestions: {This is specific predation. The other day, Sarah was sitting on the back porch step in the late morning and a hen came racing around the corner toward her with a red fox hot on her heels… the fox left when Sarah made a noise but it’s clear that something needs to be done. The problem as I see it is that Sarah is both tenderhearted and not the hunting type. She is not going to carry the shotgun around with her and that’s the only way she can count on a chance ‘meeting’ resulting in a shot at the fox(s).

I am supposing that a predator call and sitting in the tick filled woods is the only thing I can do. Are there any other observations? }on a Wooden Boat forum filled with tree hugging city folks...

I do seem to bring out the best the city folks have to offer, don't I? :)

Mrleft8
08-06-2013, 05:22 PM
You do, my friend..... You do.

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Bingo!!!!!!!!! I've got it!
I've thought about this for 24 hours and have solved the problem to my satisfaction despite a far Lower IQ than Phillip has.
Raise enough chickens for you and Sarah...And the damn Fox.
A fox can eat only so much for godsake.
Quit fighting the fox...feed him...make him your pet fox!
Personally, I like foxes more than I like damn chickens!
Problem solved.
Now, Phillip, will you Puleeeeeeeze shut the hell up about Nobody offering any positive suggestions to your silly thread?
No?
I figgered!!!!

Mrleft8
08-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Ever seen a fox eat fried chicken?..... (Amber dunt count)

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
the other day Glen's voice went up two octaves over my misspelled word... the strain left him panting for clean pants
(I thought maybe someone had stepped on a poodle :) )

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 05:46 PM
the other day Glen's voice went up two octaves over my misspelled word... the strain left him panting for clean pants

No need for you to start making up false tales!
Do you want to solve the fox problem or not?
I offered you a good solution!
The least you could do is say, "Thank you very much, Mr.Longino"!

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 06:22 PM

Further proof that Phillip does not actually want to solve his "fox" problem but only wants to whine about it and attack responders to his silly threads. How rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full Tilt
08-06-2013, 08:31 PM
BTW two new bacteria species that cause Lyme Disease have just been isolated. They are also found in other tick species so both range and carriers are now in the process of being changed. These other species may be why some folks with symptoms test negatively.

Here in the province of Ontariariario, where healthcare is FREE you have to pay extra for the 'American' test.

The standard 'Canadian' test is prone to false negatives and many people don't get diagnosed because of it.

The range and severity of symptoms is massive. Joint ache, migraine, psychological problems, depression etc etc etc.

Mike

S.V. Airlie
08-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Phillip..why doesn't Sarah raise guinea pigs. So much easier don't you think? And I bet they breed like rabbits.:)

Full Tilt
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Guinea pig eggs are an acquired taste.

S.V. Airlie
08-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Tastes like very small Chickens!!!!:)

LeeG
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Bingo!!!!!!!!! I've got it!
I've thought about this for 24 hours and have solved the problem to my satisfaction despite a far Lower IQ than Phillip has.
Raise enough chickens for you and Sarah...And the damn Fox.
A fox can eat only so much for godsake.
Personally, I like foxes more than I like damn chickens!
Problem solved.
Now, Phillip, will you Puleeeeeeeze shut the hell up about Nobody offering any positive suggestions to your silly thread?
No?
I figgered!!!!

A fat fox would be easier to shoot

Full Tilt
08-06-2013, 09:56 PM

Then blow his head off with your AR15.

Mike

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 10:10 PM
A fat fox would be easier to shoot

:)By golly you're right...now let's wait for Phillip to ignore that fact!

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Then blow his head off with your AR15.

Mike

How rude!;)

BrianW
08-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Feeding and attempting to domesticate a wild fox is a stupid suggestion.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2013, 10:47 PM

I don't know when we'll try... if we'll try but I'll start a new threads when we do... and I'll mispell words just to hear glen's voice crack

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't know when we'll try... if we'll try but I'll start a new threads when we do... and I'll mispell words just to hear glen's voice crack

You and your lap dog figure it out for yourselves and let us know the results.
Between you two superior beings you should have that fox problem solved by morning!:D

Glen Longino
08-06-2013, 11:11 PM

You're obviously Ignorant of the eminent Russian geneticist, Dimitri Belyaev!
I'm not surprised!
You yahoos think that anything you're ignorant of is "stupid"! Ha!:)

Mrleft8
08-07-2013, 07:25 AM

No it isn't.
It's a perfectly good suggestion that probably won't work.