PDA

View Full Version : The Taco Fence..an insight.

WX
07-31-2013, 02:11 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23459287

US Congress is debating an increase in border security as part of an overhaul of the country's immigration system.
But local residents and long-time ranchers along the border worry that their already diminished rights might be under attack again.
Since its peak in 2000, apprehensions of illegal immigrants at the Southern border have decreased 78% to 357,000 in 2012. Two thirds of this drop can be explained by a weak US economy, according to a report (http://www.cfr.org/immigration/managing-illegal-immigration-united-states/p30658) by the Council on Foreign Relations. The other third is due to enforcement increases.
In 2012, the US government spent $18bn (11bn) on border enforcement. The number of border patrol agents in the south more than doubled in the last decade to 18,000 from 8,000.
Under the immigration reform bill passed by the US Senate last month, an additional 18,000 agents would be added in the next decade.
The BBC talked to John Ladd, a fourth-generation rancher whose land borders Mexico, about the border agents who patrol his property.

Glen Longino
07-31-2013, 03:10 AM
The same Americans who were misty-eyed and reverent when the Berlin Wall came down, are now the same bleary-eyed imbeciles who are giddy to build an extravagant fence between us and Mexico!
Does anybody else question the wisdom of such activities?

PeterSibley
07-31-2013, 03:57 AM
Australia has a moat, the US should dig a moat too.

Australia shares your paranoia.

epoxyboy
07-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Australia has a moat, the US should dig a moat too.

Australia shares your paranoia.
They did. It's called the Panama Canal.

skuthorp
07-31-2013, 05:33 AM
I thought it was the Rio Grande………….. But then that's a bit shallow isn't it.

Peerie Maa
07-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Two thirds of this drop can be explained by a weak US economy,
There is the solution. May be the Reps are already implimenting it. Bring poverty in the US to the level it is south of the border and those dang'd immgrunts won't want to come.

LeeG
07-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Militarize the border, we have the tools now that the troops are drawing down. Dirigibles, supercomputers, surveillance.

Osborne Russell
07-31-2013, 11:39 AM
There is the solution. May be the Reps are already implimenting it. Bring poverty in the US to the level it is south of the border and those dang'd immgrunts won't want to come.

That could happen and in fact it will if the situation isn't properly managed.

But the point is, it is managed. The geography sets the stage: a huge industrial nation next to a large fecund one. The profits come from the cheapness of the labor. The border keeps the labor cheap. Why not invest the profits in Mexico? Because the labor becomes more expensive. Invest them here, and the situation stabilizes. Labor is cheaper on both sides.

Figment
07-31-2013, 12:09 PM
um..... what?

Canoez
07-31-2013, 12:25 PM
That could happen and in fact it will if the situation isn't properly managed.

But the point is, it is managed. The geography sets the stage: a huge industrial nation next to a large fecund one. The profits come from the cheapness of the labor. The border keeps the labor cheap. Why not invest the profits in Mexico? Because the labor becomes more expensive. Invest them here, and the situation stabilizes. Labor is cheaper on both sides.

??? - Um - Maquiladora?

pefjr
07-31-2013, 12:34 PM
The solution to this problem obviously is to turn it over to the arm chair quarterbacks of the free world. Their country doesn't have any problems, so they have all this free time, and they have the answers, even though they are thousands of miles away, and have never set foot near the border.

Ted Hoppe
07-31-2013, 12:53 PM
I get giddy over a taco truck that serves orange soda.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4094/4797827808_57c92c4a30_z.jpg

Figment
07-31-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm gonna need a 20 on that truck, Ted.

Ted Hoppe
07-31-2013, 01:14 PM
This one rolls in San Francisco. sublime comes to mind and mouth waters when this one passes by even on the highway.

I have imagined doing a road trip with good buddies - 30 days going from great truck to great truck throughout the country. I think the vacation could be called Burritiroll, best done in a convertible...Y>

CWSmith
07-31-2013, 01:34 PM
We build it high and build it deep. The only alternative is to enforce our laws on illegal employment and solve our drug problem. One is easy and one is beneficial. Sadly, neither is both.

Ted Hoppe
07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
How about giving huge irrevocable community service penalties and jail time if ones knowingly chooses to employ, hire or arrange to hire illegal aliens? 1000 hours per illegal hire would have a immedate chilling effect.

CWSmith
07-31-2013, 02:02 PM
How about giving huge irrevocable community service penalties and jail time if ones knowingly chooses to employ, hire or arrange to hire illegal aliens? 1000 hours per illegal hire would have a immedate chilling effect.

Sure, or just enforce the existing laws. We don't. Employers hire cheap illegals. Ants go to the sugar. Remove the sugar and you have no ants. (No, I'm not calling illegals ants, it's just an analogy.)

Ted Hoppe
07-31-2013, 02:27 PM
There is a world of difference between paying a small negible penalty and being forced to give up significant personal or money making time to be picking up trash, removing graffiti, sweeping streets, digging ditches for committing a federal crime. 1000 hours is six months labor with no breaks for vacation or holidays.

CWSmith
07-31-2013, 02:31 PM
There is a world of difference between paying a small negible penalty and being forced to give up significant personal or money making time to be picking up trash, removing graffiti, sweeping streets, digging ditches for committing a federal crime. 1000 hours is six months labor with no breaks for vacation or holidays.

I'm not opposed to your idea. I have no sympathy for those employ illegals. They deny Americans their jobs and don't pay the illegals what their labor is worth. I have long thought that you could pay a living wage to people who pick crops in California and the rise in price in the store would be small.

Figment
07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
There's something to that.

A certain family member is a couple of months into a year of probation for a DUI. That probation comes with a LOT of onerous conditions and restrictions, but for some reason the one condition that seems most onerous to the offender is the community service.

Osborne Russell
07-31-2013, 02:50 PM
??? - Um - Maquiladora?

Gone to China.

Canoez
07-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Gone to China.

No, still going on and growing. Lost one job to one, applied for a job with another company that had one and have had several (at least 5 that i know of...) vendors shift manufacturing to them in the last year.

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23459287

I don't have any juicey tidbits from the Beeb but there has been a bit of news about OZ using Papua New Guinea as an internment camp for illegal aliens trying to get to your shores.
We can't do that. The ideal place for us would be Cuba but they been kind of prickly toward us for the last 50 years or so.
You are fortunate to have more compliant neighbors.

Figment
07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
I could've sworn that was the reason we allowed Texas into the union in the first place.

WX
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't have any juicey tidbits from the Beeb but there has been a bit of news about OZ using Papua New Guinea as an internment camp for illegal aliens trying to get to your shores.
We can't do that. The ideal place for us would be Cuba but they been kind of prickly toward us for the last 50 years or so.
You are fortunate to have more compliant neighbors.
Very true and we are only talking about 25,000 people a year. We take 200,000 migrants per year apparently.

The Bigfella
07-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Very true and we are only talking about 25,000 people a year. We take 200,000 migrants per year apparently.

... and the cost to the government per person for these economic migrants is now just under $500,000 each and 1,600 have drowned trying to make the crossing of that rather dangerous bit of ocean.

WX
07-31-2013, 10:46 PM
... and the cost to the government per person for these economic migrants is now just under $500,000 each and 1,600 have drowned trying to make the crossing of that rather dangerous bit of ocean.

More to do with the condition of the boats the people smugglers cram them on I'd say. Desperate people do desperate things.

The Bigfella
07-31-2013, 10:49 PM
More to do with the condition of the boats the people smugglers cram them on I'd say. Desperate people do desperate things.

.... what's that got to do with the issue? Rapists are desperate people too....

pefjr
08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I could've sworn that was the reason we allowed Texas into the union in the first place.we?

Figment
08-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Myself, and the rest of the Pentavaret, of course.

WX
08-01-2013, 05:51 PM
.... what's that got to do with the issue? Rapists are desperate people too....

I sometimes wonder about you Ian.

The Bigfella
08-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I sometimes wonder about you Ian.

I'm glad you are at least thinking about the issue.

I'd suggest to you that many of the people crossing that stretch of water aren't quite as desperate as you might think.

It was recently worked out that they spend around $17,000 each on the trip... including airfares, bribes, boat passage, etc. Their investment, of the $17,000, is aimed at achieving a higher standard of living... ie more money and yes, a less hostile environment in some cases.

They aren't the desperate people...

This is a desperate person. He's an Aussie btw... and they are Aussie humanitarian refugee forms in his hand... and the other hand has supporting documentation. He's back in a refugee camp trying desperately to get his family out of the mud and into Aus.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Northern%20Thailand/103.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Northern%20Thailand/103.jpg.html)

.... but he hasn't got the $54,000 to get them there on a boat.

Here's his brother and sister....

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Northern%20Thailand/101.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Northern%20Thailand/101.jpg.html)

John Smith
08-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Lot of posts here. Has anyone checked some facts. Last piece I saw on this subject if deportation is up and illegal border crossings are way down.

How many illegals have crossed the Mexican border into the US in the last 6 months or year?

That would be interesting data to have in this thread. My guess is the number is a lot less than we are led to believe.

I also think that we again are victims of "sleight of mouth" in that our attention is drawn to this area, while something else we really won't like fails to get coverage.