PDA

View Full Version : Baseball is a dying sport...

Tom Montgomery
07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
... in my honest opinion.

First of all... Baseball is no more an "American" sport than basketball and American football.

Second of all... Kids no longer play pickup baseball. All baseball games today are organized by adults. Kids still play unsupervised football and basketball on the school yard and playground. Just because they want to. Both sports in the wild only require one ball.

Baseball has been tainted by PED scandals far beyond those in either football or basketball.

MLB is way behind the curve regarding instant replay to correct bad calls by officials.

Meanwhile playoff games and World Series games continued to be scheduled to start at 9:00 EST. Insanity.

Finally, MLB continues to have a Commissioner who is also an owner. No one believes Bud Selig has no connection with the Milwaukee Brewers. He has been considered by the public as a "yes man" for ownership since the day he took office.

What a mess. NFL football and NBA basketball continue to outpace MLB in popularity. As well they should.

Waddie
07-30-2013, 10:05 PM
I still see kids playing pickup games of baseball. But then again I live next door to a school, and they use my garden hose as a drinking fountain. So I see them coming and going. However, they don't play any pickup sports over at the school ground like they did 20 years ago. People seem to want to keep their children close these days, and there's more to do indoors, and lots more organized sports. But there are still kids who like baseball. They just like those other sports as well.

PS. I regularly play catch with my oldest grand daughter. She's a softball fanatic, like her mother.

regards,
Waddie

The Bigfella
07-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Which countries contest the World Series?

skuthorp
07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
You could argue that it's no longer a sport in the true sense. It's a job and it's an entertainment and it's an advertising medium for TV though.

Tom Montgomery
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM
And it really sucks on TV compared to football and basketball.

Like ice hockey, it is best in person.

S.V. Airlie
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Tom, you wouldn't know it in Cooperstown and Dream Parks.

Paul Pless
07-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Baseball is a dying sport... its still got the America's Cup beat :D

S.V. Airlie
07-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Not hard to do:)

pefjr
07-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Tom is like the Fox News groupies, he doesn't know how to change the channel.:d

ahp
07-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Ask your kids, any kids, if they know how to play three-at-bat.

Captain Intrepid
07-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Its a fun game to play, but it's almost as boring as golfl to watch.

hokiefan
07-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Ask your kids, any kids, if they know how to play three-at-bat.

Never heard of the game three-at-bat. But we had a version of baseball we could play in my backyard with 4 people. 1st & 3rd base were trees, 2nd base was the old sandbox. The archery target was the 1st baseman, hit that with the ball before the batter got to 1st base and he was out. We used "pretend men" for baserunners, they advanced appropriately with hits. No walks or watched strikes, or hard pitching. The object was to get the ball in play. With only one fielder we called a hit to left an automatic out. Over the power line at the back of the yard was a homerun, over the hedge but under the power line was a ground rule double. It helped that the lot beyond the alley was vacant when I was growing up, Mr. Carr's field as we called it.

Actually we could play with 3 if someone pitched for both sides. And we had a version of football we could play with 2 kids. Our mom's didn't tolerate us staying inside when it wasn't raining. And since Dad put up good floodlights in the backyard we could play most games at night as well.

Cheers,

Bobby

Clarkey
07-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Which countries contest the World Series?

Check out the World Baseball Classic - the top teams aren't who you might expect...........

Waddie
07-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Never heard of the game three-at-bat. But we had a version of baseball we could play in my backyard with 4 people. 1st & 3rd base were trees, 2nd base was the old sandbox. The archery target was the 1st baseman, hit that with the ball before the batter got to 1st base and he was out. We used "pretend men" for baserunners, they advanced appropriately with hits. No walks or watched strikes, or hard pitching. The object was to get the ball in play. With only one fielder we called a hit to left an automatic out. Over the power line at the back of the yard was a homerun, over the hedge but under the power line was a ground rule double. It helped that the lot beyond the alley was vacant when I was growing up, Mr. Carr's field as we called it.

Actually we could play with 3 if someone pitched for both sides. And we had a version of football we could play with 2 kids. Our mom's didn't tolerate us staying inside when it wasn't raining. And since Dad put up good floodlights in the backyard we could play most games at night as well.

Cheers,

Bobby

Man, that description of your ball park really brought back some memories. I grew up a military brat, but everywhere in the world we lived kids had similar arrangements for playing various sports. Half court basketball, weird baseball parks, soccer fields with trees in the middle, and the strange rules to go with it, usually to make it possible to play with less than the optimum number of players. Kids don't really need organized sports; sometimes I think that's more for the parents.

regards,
Waddie

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-31-2013, 11:59 PM
In Cleveland baseball was going down the drain in the late '50s already. They use to lie about attendence at Municipal Stadium. It could hold in excess of 70,000 people and they were getting maybe 1800 for a day game. What saved baseball was television. Baseball is an ideal sport for TV because it's slow and episodic so there is plenty of opportunity to break in for commercials.
Today Muni Stadium is gone and we have a new cozy ballpark. Even tho' the Indians are playing fairly good ball now they are only getting a bit over 20,000 per game. That's about third from the bottom among all clubs.

Waddie
08-01-2013, 01:32 AM
In Cleveland baseball was going down the drain in the late '50s already. They use to lie about attendence at Municipal Stadium. It could hold in excess of 70,000 people and they were getting maybe 1800 for a day game. What saved baseball was television. Baseball is an ideal sport for TV because it's slow and episodic so there is plenty of opportunity to break in for commercials.
Today Muni Stadium is gone and we have a new cozy ballpark. Even tho' the Indians are playing fairly good ball now they are only getting a bit over 20,000 per game. That's about third from the bottom among all clubs.

The cost of attending MLB games prevents many from attending, once you figure in tickets, parking, etc. But there are dozens and dozens of ball park complexes here and games under the lights every night. Lots of local ball diamonds as well, in every little park and playground. The sport that's really died off, as far as people playing it, is tennis, which I like. It's never crowded at the tennis courts. However, the city is letting many go to ruin. But people playing baseball/softball is alive and healthy.

regards,
Waddie

Phillip Allen
08-01-2013, 01:57 AM
I won't attend the local AAA game because they charge 20 dollars to park... it occures to me that walmart could charge to park while shopping and it would be the same thing

skuthorp
08-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Kids here still play backyard and beach cricket, though backyards these days are getting smaller and hard balls are no longer in vogue. Beach cricket is played everywhere and even has a TV 'professional' comp. And that's the problem, 'professional'. No longer sport, just a job playing a game and for beach cricket a crowd liberally laced with bikini clad girls.
But the best example I know of kids finding a place to play a game is the floating football pitch largely built by the kids in a Thai village called Ko Panyi
http://nbcoutofbounds.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/floatingsoccer.jpg?w=320
http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/03/22/hope-floats-how-youth-soccer-team-was-born-on-a-floating-village/

There's hope yet.