PDA

View Full Version : Mallorca is burning!

varadero
07-29-2013, 02:26 AM
The fire started on Friday afternoon in the South West of the Island. Monday morning it is still burning out of controll despite the efforts of 28 aircraft and 300 fire fighters. At the moment the damage is in the region of 2000 hectares. There are 8 Canadair water bombers continually circling above the office picking up water at the harbour entrance, as there is now a mild Mistral blowing making pick ups closer to the fire risky.
|:(|:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7EuisOEOs

varadero
07-29-2013, 02:29 AM
From the local English rag.

Sa Coma forest blaze moves at “astonishing speed”Andraitx.—It started with an isolated plume of smoke across the valley.
Within 10 minutes it was a raging inferno moving at a horrifying speed along the heavily wooded ridge opposite my house totally out of control.
That first sign of smoke came at 12.45pm and as I write this it is 3.30pm and there is nothing but dull black smoke and the occasional flickering flame to contemplate from the relative safety of my home.Yet at 1.30pm I was seriously worried, the whole of the Sa Coma “Frio” valley in the hills above Andraitx town seemed to be on fire.
I am not ashamed to say that I was more than a little concerned……in fact I was scared.
The speed of the fire was astonishing you could see its progress almost metre by metre, tree by tree.
Soon I could hear the wailing sounds of fire fighting vehicles striving to get to the seat of the fire; the clattering blades of helicopters gave a surreal effect, as though I was watching a re-run of Apocalypse Now. Slowly but surely the fire-fighters on the ground and the helicopters in the sky were seemingly getting to grips with the blaze which must have been by now 2-3 klms in length…….they were bombarding the fire from different angles with heavily laden water buckets and using red coloured fire-retardant to put out the flames that would suddenly explode back into life as the fickle wind decided to freshen and change direction.
As I write this, I hear reports that the fire has moved westward and now can be plainly seen in the pretty village of S’ Arraco just a few kilometres from here as the crow flies.
Given the fact that there has been hardly any rain in the past two months on the island, and yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far, perhaps it is hardly surprising that the conditions are cruelly perfect for a frightening blaze such as this.
At this time I understand that the road in and out of Sa Coma has been closed as the authorities struggle to contain the blaze(s) and fire-fighters are now being based there, prior to being sent out to fight the fires.
At the moment, the mountain opposite is smoking like an abandoned log fire, but still helicopters run hither and thither busying themselves by making sure the conflagration doesn’t erupt again. It seems for our part that the situation is now under control, but further to the south-west who knows…..fingers crossed! My admiration for the men and women who are doing this job for us all knows no bounds, to do what they have to do in the blistering heat tackling a blaze that could change direction at any time is very humbling. Thank you.
Early yesterday evening as the military began arriving, the blaze was still raging with86 fire fighters from brigades across the island involved in the battle onm the ground with air support from seven air craft, including a giant Canadair from Zaragoza, bombing the flames with tons of water. Continued over

Phillip Allen
07-29-2013, 02:38 AM
From the local English rag.

Sa Coma forest blaze moves at “astonishing speed”Andraitx.—It started with an isolated plume of smoke across the valley.
Within 10 minutes it was a raging inferno moving at a horrifying speed along the heavily wooded ridge opposite my house totally out of control.
That first sign of smoke came at 12.45pm and as I write this it is 3.30pm and there is nothing but dull black smoke and the occasional flickering flame to contemplate from the relative safety of my home.Yet at 1.30pm I was seriously worried, the whole of the Sa Coma “Frio” valley in the hills above Andraitx town seemed to be on fire.
I am not ashamed to say that I was more than a little concerned……in fact I was scared.
The speed of the fire was astonishing you could see its progress almost metre by metre, tree by tree.
Soon I could hear the wailing sounds of fire fighting vehicles striving to get to the seat of the fire; the clattering blades of helicopters gave a surreal effect, as though I was watching a re-run of Apocalypse Now. Slowly but surely the fire-fighters on the ground and the helicopters in the sky were seemingly getting to grips with the blaze which must have been by now 2-3 klms in length…….they were bombarding the fire from different angles with heavily laden water buckets and using red coloured fire-retardant to put out the flames that would suddenly explode back into life as the fickle wind decided to freshen and change direction.
As I write this, I hear reports that the fire has moved westward and now can be plainly seen in the pretty village of S’ Arraco just a few kilometres from here as the crow flies.
Given the fact that there has been hardly any rain in the past two months on the island, and yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far, perhaps it is hardly surprising that the conditions are cruelly perfect for a frightening blaze such as this.
At this time I understand that the road in and out of Sa Coma has been closed as the authorities struggle to contain the blaze(s) and fire-fighters are now being based there, prior to being sent out to fight the fires.
At the moment, the mountain opposite is smoking like an abandoned log fire, but still helicopters run hither and thither busying themselves by making sure the conflagration doesn’t erupt again. It seems for our part that the situation is now under control, but further to the south-west who knows…..fingers crossed! My admiration for the men and women who are doing this job for us all knows no bounds, to do what they have to do in the blistering heat tackling a blaze that could change direction at any time is very humbling. Thank you.
Early yesterday evening as the military began arriving, the blaze was still raging with86 fire fighters from brigades across the island involved in the battle onm the ground with air support from seven air craft, including a giant Canadair from Zaragoza, bombing the flames with tons of water. Continued over

Hang in there... praying for your island and its people

varadero
07-29-2013, 02:43 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQHIWfqCAAAf3uE.jpg

Phillip Allen
07-29-2013, 02:47 AM
take food and drinks to the lines... the firemen come back to catch their breath and are very glad for something to eat and drink... it is a thing often done for them by wives and friends who know about the hard relentless work.

heck... take em some sunblok

The Bigfella
07-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Hope they nail it soon.

Doesn't look like there's much chance of rain

Good luck

skuthorp
07-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Living in Australia's SE corner in a bush fire prone area I feel for the people there. A bush fire on an island is extra scary.

varadero
07-29-2013, 04:37 AM
take food and drinks to the lines... the firemen come back to catch their breath and are very glad for something to eat and drink... it is a thing often done for them by wives and friends who know about the hard relentless work.

heck... take em some sunblok

Sun block, these guys are covered from head to toe. Temperatures are in excess of 40 C (100F) in the afternoon, dropping to 28C (80) at night, and thats at the beach, not the fire. We will not get any rain here now untill September. Problem we have here is that there is no access to most of the area and it is mountainous, so by air is the only way, at night it is not possible to fly so your gains are are lost in the darkness. The guys on the ground do their best with where there is access, and properties. Top tip, Don't use the pool, you might get a helicopter ride....
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-im2zVGbPNkTEae7LBaGPqPoAYtS7ejxkydQh67WRoOB=w316-h210-p-no

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/dh_ddoGYH5GJr3ZGjpYa233cA1-vORxJMjhtFwVkXIfp=w252-h188-p-no

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/OOUtOyCX3XjYoOePaUmajSAQTRW3srG15KYWTl31tjxq=w150-h201-p-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mFhJKbMlTKMbJ_sPgmQtamxn8czcnpnXQtlr4VbV5Yq2=w316-h210-p-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6b8UI78K8BJ05g7bjRfGFqp1y4LjByFRVapR8iHC6ToR=w315-h210-p-no

skuthorp
07-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Shessh, I hope that's not as close as it looks. With a wind, which the fire often generates anyhow, that's about 5-10 minutes away at most.

LeeG
07-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Hoping for the best. When the Oakland Hills fire hit a friends family stayed at our house while he watered down his roof and helped others. Concept of home changes when friends need shelter

varadero
07-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Arrested un hombre today, 42 years old burning garbage. Fires are prohibited after 1 May untill 15 September. The fire breaks that were maintained untill 2011 were suspended due to protests by the local "Greens" who were concerned for the tortoise population.

LeeG
07-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Arrested un hombre today, 42 years old burning garbage. Fires are prohibited after 1 May untill 15 September. The fire breaks that were maintained untill 2011 were suspended due to protests by the local "Greens" who were concerned for the tortoise population.

All right, people to blame!

varadero
07-29-2013, 10:11 AM
All right, people to blame!

Usually here it is a cigarette butt (colillo) to blame, But this "Richard Head" actually started a small garden fire in the middle of the dry season.

John of Phoenix
07-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Within 10 minutes it was a raging inferno moving at a horrifying speed along the heavily wooded ridge opposite my house totally out of control.The recent AZ fire that killed 19 firefighters here was moving at 22 feet/second (15 mph, 24 kph). You can't out run something like that on foot. Good luck and stay safe.

varadero
07-29-2013, 02:22 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1016390_607516475947033_1058264796_n.jpg

These guys are the modern version of knights in shiny armour, 80% of the fire is under control at dusk, praying for calm night so they can finnish the job mañana

skuthorp
07-29-2013, 04:28 PM
One of the big fires that killed several people here was started the same way, but the perp was adjudged 'not resposible' because of age and dementia. In a city he'd have been in care probably in the country such isolated people can fly under the radar, even still driving locally for years. The previous owner of our place was like that.

J P
07-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Good news. Nice to have so much scoopable water available close by.

pila
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about the fires on Mallorca. I spent time there in 1953 & 1954 in a little hotel on the beach, a few miles from Palma. It was named Hotel San Francisco by the way !
Is it still there ? just wondered.....

LeeG
07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Usually here it is a cigarette butt (colillo) to blame, But this "Richard Head" actually started a small garden fire in the middle of the dry season.

And the Greens?

varadero
07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about the fires on Mallorca. I spent time there in 1953 & 1954 in a little hotel on the beach, a few miles from Palma. It was named Hotel San Francisco by the way !
Is it still there ? just wondered.....

There is a Hotel San Francisco on Arenal beach (Playa de Palma) I walk by it a couple of times a year. It is not so little now.

varadero
07-30-2013, 02:13 AM
And the Greens?

They are a very powerfull environmental lobby group on the Island, Thanks to them there is always a reactive force to prevent over development and damage to the natural areas left. Ironically they own a large area that has been destroyed. Their theory was that by using grazing donkeys to control the undergrowth, that clear cutting substantial fire breaks would not be required.

varadero
07-30-2013, 02:16 AM
There are no Canadairs flying this morning, only helicopters. The wind shifted into the South over night and turned the fire back on itself. Hopefully that is that. Current estimates are 2000 hectares or 5000 acres.

purri
07-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Is Robert Graves house safe?

varadero
07-30-2013, 03:32 AM
Is Robert Graves house safe?
Yes, the house is in Deia, about 20 k up the coast.