07-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Climbing a transmission tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZZPwJr_c#at=202

Glen Longino
07-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Nope! I will not go up there!
You cannot make me go up there!
No! Absolutely not! I Will Not go!
Go ahead call me whatever you want...I will not go...call me coward, scaredy cat, wuss...I ain't going!:)

LeeG
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Hey, I've got that headlamp! Scuse me I'm feeling unsettled

Ian McColgin
07-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Great job . . . for anyone in condition for that sort of climb. Every bit as tough as big wall climbing.

One really interesting challenge on those towers is making sure the relevant microwave relays are off as you go up or down. Another is how to do a rescue if a climber is incapacitated up there.

rbgarr
07-30-2013, 03:57 PM
What's the real difference if you fall from a hundred feet or a thousand feet?

Keith Wilson
07-30-2013, 04:12 PM
What's the real difference if you fall from a hundred feet or a thousand feet?You have longer to think about it.

Flying Orca
07-30-2013, 04:32 PM
That's more gronicle-shrinkage-inducing than any cold water immersion I've ever experienced, and I've fallen through the ice a couple of times... not to mention diving beneath it...

Bill R
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks rgbarr. That video scares even me.

Tower climbers are a... unique... bunch. They just ain't wired like the rest of us.

Nowadays, my feet stay planted on the ground. I don't climb anymore. Getting too old, and have spent too much time holding down a desk the last couple years. I was up a short one earlier this summer moving a microwave dish, and I was reminded the next morning why I don't do it anymore. I still keep my gear and do a lot of rooftop work and short climbs, but no more big stuff.

My climbing mentor was killed in a fall a couple years ago. He was dismantling an old self supporting tower with his son. Son went to get lunch, and came back to find Danny on the ground. Near as they could determine, he clipped off on what he thought was solid steel, lost his footing, and what he thought was solid steel was heavily rusted under the paint and broke under his weight. I pretty much hung my gear up after that.