PDA

View Full Version : Party Barge. I'm so ashamed....

Rich Jones
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
and feel so dirty. I spent the day on my brother's pontoon boat today and....and I....and I ,Oh please forgive me Forum, I enjoyed it! Not a piece of wood on this ugly thing, but I enjoyed it. I feel so soiled. Cruising the clear waters of Lake George with the green Adirondack Mountains all around, it was a beautiful day. Oh, how do I rinse the stench of this sin from my soul? Enjoying a non-wood boat? Several Chris-Craft and Hacker Craft triple cockpit runabouts with gleaming stainless steel, mahogany sides glistening in the sun went past us as I hid my face in shame. And now I find myself lusting after my brother's boat! Doesn't one of the Commandments forbid that? But they are quiet, stable, roomy and damn comfortable. Oh, what a wretch I've become! Is there any redemption?

Breakaway
07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh, what a wretch I've become! Is there any redemption?

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/WoodenPontoon/IMG_4373.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=0XghABROWQm8PM&tbnid=q7BctEpYiM40kM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boatdesign.net%2Fforums%2Fmul tihulls%2Fsome-pictures-my-tri-hulled-wooden-pontoon-29698.html&ei=-370UbzZBa2t4APy_oHICw&psig=AFQjCNEHjWGAM946YD9vB0cqrJYWB1GnjA&ust=1375064187139578)

Get a-buildin' Bub!

Kevin

Oysterhouse
07-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Relax Rich---
It's not like you own one of these things-------do you?

As long as you just go out on someone else's pontoon boat your probably not going to have any serious long lasting complications.
But if you find yourself in a Bayliner dealership or lusting for a romp with a jet ski---then your going to need professional help.

It was probably the Bud Lite---yea that's it!!--- Blame it on the bud light!!

Repent! do 40 hours of brightwork penance, go forth under sail, and sin no more!

paulf
07-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Now, now, now lad!
Just relax, confess yous sins here.....

Lord forgive this poor man, he has seen reality ...and enjoyed it!.

For your sins say: I'll do better, I'll do better!
Then have 3 fingers of single malt Scotch...with a 4th in reserve to purify your soul.....Amen!

S.V. Airlie
07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Party barges are the norm on Lake Otsego. You get used to seeing them.

The Bigfella
07-27-2013, 10:03 PM
So where's your photos?

There's so many couch potatoes here, its a real sin to actually do something and not post photos

Just ask me, I know how much they love the photos :D

skipper68
07-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Oh, how do I rinse the stench of this sin from my soul? Skinny dip!:D

Garret
07-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I must admit to spending the afternoon on a plastic boat on Lake Champlain. I had fun too! 50mph is just a bit faster than Neoga will go.....

seanz
07-27-2013, 10:49 PM
...and I....and I

Listening to reggae?

epoxyboy
07-28-2013, 03:49 AM
. And now I find myself lusting after my brother's boat! Doesn't one of the Commandments forbid that?
As long as it is just the boat, and not his ox, ass or wife, you're In the clear - at least as far as the good book is concerned. The rest is up to your moral compass and the size of your gronicles.

Paul Pless
07-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Not a piece of wood on this ugly thing

Are you sure the floor wasn't marine grade plywood?

But they are quiet, stable, roomy and damn comfortable.

For calm water with family and friends on hot day, they make a lot of sense.

bamamick
07-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Well, I didn't say so at the time, but we all went on a 'dinner cruise' on the in-laws pontoon boat the other evening, riding down to Weeks Bay to watch the sun set. It was my eldest daughters' birthday (the twins) and after sailing was a wash out we just went and sat as my brother in law drove the boat. So there you go. You aren't alone. I am not proud of it, but it wasn't the worst time I have ever spent on the water by a long shot. It wasn't even the most embarrassing time I have ever spent on a boat.

But it was close.

Mickey Lake

Rich Jones
07-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Headed to church this morning to atone for this grievous sin. But, what a madhouse the south end of Lake George is on a summer weekend!! The water is like it's been churned up with an eggbeater. A constant clash of intersecting wakes making an absolute mess of the surface. Powerboats whilly-nilly all over the place, I doubt half of them know the rules-of-the-road. Saw two other pontoon boats so overloaded, the pontoons where practically awash. Lake George has a small force of patrol boats that are kept very busy!

Paul Pless
07-28-2013, 07:05 AM
It wasn't even the most embarrassing time I have ever spent on a boat.

But it was close.

Must we go find the international canoe thread?;)

Canoez
07-28-2013, 07:10 AM
REPENT!

Get thee to Bolton Landing and rent a Hacker Craft. Thread the Narrows 10 times without a scratch and anoint yourself with lake water. All will be right with the world. Don't forget to post pictures of your pennance to the Church of the Holey Wooden Boat or it never happened.

bamamick
07-28-2013, 07:18 AM
That wasn't embarrassing. It was frustrating. One embarrassing moment that comes quickly to mind was when we got the Star boom hung on a dredge barge in our yacht club channel, and I just lost it. Started cussing up a storm in my best boat-deck voice. When we finally got in the wife of one of my best friends (who was probably in her late 60's at that time) asked me in the bar 'oh, Mickey. Was that you that was using all of that terrible language a while ago?'. All the color drained out of my face at one time, since I had more respect for she and her husband than any two people I ever met (he was the mentor that got me through raising three daughter. He and his wife had four!).

Another time was a similar instance of sailing Flying Scots as a junior at Fairhope YC, and after my race I jumped on the committee boat and announced to the whole crowd that 'my gosh, I think my _______ has frozen solid', only to hear this woman's voice from below tell me that she didn't really need to hear that. It was the wife of another good friend, a family that sort of took me in when my dad and I had our massive falling out. Geez. That was embarrassing.

Riding in the party barge was just sort of....well, too comfortable, if you get my drift? I am used to boats being work. I don't mind the work part. This just didn't feel right.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
07-28-2013, 08:04 AM
I borrowed a pontoon boat years ago to take the family fishing on Green Lake in Wisconsin. It was great, plenty on room for gear and casting, great platform for swimming. Not a single complaint all the way up to moment we hit the bridge.

Have you ever seen one decked out for serious trolling or bottom fishing for strippers, cats and crappie? They make great fishing platforms!

Joe Dupere
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't think one trip will do that much harm. However, if your eyesight starts to dim and your palms start getting fuzzy, then you have a problem. :D

Glen Longino
07-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't think one trip will do that much harm. However, if your eyesight starts to dim and your palms start getting fuzzy, then you have a problem. :D

Interesting website and lifestyle you have there, Joe!
I have no idea why it took me all these years to look at it! Thanks!

Rich Jones
07-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Just got home from church a while ago. I confessed my nautical sin to my Episcopalian Priest. He says my penance is to go over to the Rectory (his house), cut the grass and wash/wax his and his wife's cars. Hmm... sounds a bit fishy to me.....:D

Glen Longino
07-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Just got home from church a while ago. I confessed my nautical sin to my Episcopalian Priest. He says my penance is to go over to the Rectory (his house), cut the grass and wash/wax his and his wife's cars. Hmm... sounds a bit fishy to me.....:D

That's what you get for going to church!;)
My suggestion is you go mow his lawn on the lowest setting and peel it to the ground.
Smear the dust around on the cars mixed with a little water and let them dry!
He'll Never ask you to do it again!:)

S.V. Airlie
07-28-2013, 02:00 PM
skinny dip!:d alone? No fun!!!!:)

Glen Longino
07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
alone? No fun!!!!:)

What do you possibly know about skinny dipping! Or Fun, for that matter?
I can hardly wait to hear this!;)

S.V. Airlie
07-28-2013, 03:26 PM
What do you possibly know about skinny dipping! Or Fun, for that matter?
I can hardly wait to hear this!;)
Much more than you think on all points! Got it?
Doubt it but, worth a try!

Glen Longino
07-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Much more than you think on all points! Got it?
Doubt it but, worth a try!

I got it...and I Believe you!
Any details? No pics, PULEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!

S.V. Airlie
07-28-2013, 03:54 PM
You do? WOW! I'm impressed!

Garret
07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
I got it...and I Believe you!
Any details? No pics, PULEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!

Hey - no pics & it didn't happen - so...........

John of Phoenix
07-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Hilarious. Recently departed Evelyn's ashes are entombed in a green bowling ball and buried at sea in Lake Wobegon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143114107 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143114107)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511EshmLPRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Michael D. Storey
07-29-2013, 07:47 AM
and feel so dirty. I spent the day on my brother's pontoon boat today and....and I....and I ,Oh please forgive me Forum, I enjoyed it! Not a piece of wood on this ugly thing, but I enjoyed it. I feel so soiled. Cruising the clear waters of Lake George with the green Adirondack Mountains all around, it was a beautiful day. Oh, how do I rinse the stench of this sin from my soul? Enjoying a non-wood boat? Several Chris-Craft and Hacker Craft triple cockpit runabouts with gleaming stainless steel, mahogany sides glistening in the sun went past us as I hid my face in shame. And now I find myself lusting after my brother's boat! Doesn't one of the Commandments forbid that? But they are quiet, stable, roomy and damn comfortable. Oh, what a wretch I've become! Is there any redemption?

Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's boat

Hughman
07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Headed to church this morning to atone for this grievous sin.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/46037223485/

John Bell
07-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Absolution is not required in my liberal progressive boating theology. There is no sin at all in enjoying the Party Barge. Ask the pope, I'm sure he'll approve! The regressive fundamentalist sect of traditional wooden boat might not agree, but pox on them anyway. I owned a 27'er until last year. We simply adored that boat and are really missing it now. I've still got my wooden boat, but it's really no good at all for how we used our pontoon. I'll buy another one someday for sure.

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/3256_90043888808_3712526_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/2057_60856453808_8669_n.jpg

ccmanuals
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
I have to agree with John Bell. A beautiful Chris Craft is wonderous to look at or ride in but if you want to invite some friends over for a party on the lake it won't be in the Chris.

Pontoon's are great for socializing with friends.

willmarsh3
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
They make a great race committee boat. Ours at the sailing club is basic but it serves its purpose.

WoodenPontoon
02-06-2015, 10:17 PM
I kinda like my wooden party barge! The best of everything!

tomlarkin
02-07-2015, 12:50 AM
I kinda like my wooden party barge! The best of everything!

Pictures are mandatory after a statement like that!

Nicholas Scheuer
02-07-2015, 05:28 AM
You think Party Barges are "fun"? Consider for a moment how many empty beer cans it takes to make one of those things. Now there is some serious FUN involves with drinking all that beer.

Bob Adams
02-07-2015, 08:31 AM
You could do worse!:d

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?181077-Forgive-me-forumites-for-I-have-sinned&highlight=

Rich Jones
02-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Alas, two and a half years have passed and that party barge is no more. My brother's father-in-law ran it up on a pile of rocks and punctured a hull. Boat was old and not worth fixing. Sold for next to nothing. I haven't been on party barge since this thread began. I did go sailing on a friend's 34' FG sailboat last summer for a day. At least that boat had a sail! The rest of my nautical time has been spent in God-sanctioned wooden boats. After all, did Jesus uses FG boats? NO! Only wooden boats for him!:d

ron ll
02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
My older brother, who has quite different taste than I (and a lot more money) called me last week from the Seattle Boat Show and wanted me to meet him there. As I don't see him often, I was glad to. When I got there he told me he was shopping for a party barge and wanted my input. One look at those things and I wasn't really sure how much I could help him, but on one of the first ones we boarded I asked the salesman why there was no head, considering this was a "party" barge. The salesman actually said, "Hey, when you are out on the water there is a great big head all around you."

Rich Jones
02-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Actually, most of those boats have an area in the stern where a porta-potty can be set up, surrounded by a curtain.

cs
02-17-2015, 07:53 PM
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/WoodenPontoon/IMG_4373.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=0XghABROWQm8PM&tbnid=q7BctEpYiM40kM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boatdesign.net%2Fforums%2Fmul tihulls%2Fsome-pictures-my-tri-hulled-wooden-pontoon-29698.html&ei=-370UbzZBa2t4APy_oHICw&psig=AFQjCNEHjWGAM946YD9vB0cqrJYWB1GnjA&ust=1375064187139578)

Get a-buildin' Bub!

Kevin

I gotta ask. Where can I find the plans for that?

Chad

Tom Hunter
02-17-2015, 09:37 PM
As a toddler, I was around wooden row boats, as a child sailboats, when I hit my early teens my father got really involved in a passion for runabouts, including one of the best boats anyone anywhere will ever own or ride on (28’ 1903 triple cockpit Hutchinson with the original engine replaced by a 1950s hemi). I’ve helped save and rebuild a national historic landmark wooden schooner (Adventure) and have two wooden boats of my own.
I looked at pontoon boats and sneered, thinking they were far too ugly, unseamanlike, and just terrible, and I would never set foot on one. I was far beyond thinking of them as a guilty pleasure, even McMullen could not find the words for the loathing I felt.

And then along came WoodenPontoon. His boat is amazing, I’d love to get a ride just to see how he did it. The man has vision beyond my own conventional view, built it, and made something wonderful in a form that I did not even think possible.

Shame on me, my prejudice was actually a lack of vision.

Enjoy your time on the water, follow the vision of WoodenPontoon and cast off you blind prejudice. I did it, and I am happier for it.

And WoodPontoon, if you are reading this, and on Candlewood lake, pm me, I have stories, always bring appropriate beverages, and would love to see your boat in person.

LeeG
02-17-2015, 11:55 PM
This is a party boat. You put someone in a beach chair forward of the yoke with a cooler full of goodies and the mid paddler in a linen suit and the fore and aft paddlers with whatever works and you got a partay! Truely it's a ship of a canoe. Almost 20' at 55 lbs.

http://www.piragis.com/boundarywatersnews/wensen.jpg

WoodenPontoon
05-07-2015, 08:36 PM
I gotta ask. Where can I find the plans for that?

Chad
There are no plans for that boat. It is my own design!

Waddie
05-08-2015, 02:32 AM
I own an IMP 24 foot pontoon boat. It was a gift for the wife. 70 hp Merc. She wanted a boat, too. I sail an 18 ft McVay Minuet. Fiberglass hull, everything else wood. I don't give a rat's arse about socializing but she loves get-togethers. I do like to sail and then tie up to the pontoon for eats.

Besides the built in seating, the pontoon is well equipped with lawn chairs and a bar-b-que. I've been thinking where I could fit a big screen TV........

regards,
Waddie

bobbys
05-08-2015, 03:06 AM
I do not judge other cultures .