PDA

View Full Version : I am officially done with Google

Concordia...41
07-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Increasing dissatisfaction with search results for months coming to a head when I needed the first name of Claudia's oncologist (Marc) and I Googled Warmouth + St Augustine + oncology and his information was on the THIRD page of the results. :mad: Like Christina, said - good to know if you're someone paying for Google advertising... (obviously Dr. Warmouth isn't)

But it is unacceptable for me to put in something as specific as the doctor's last name, his location, and speciality and not get what I need in the first page. I've had several instances like that where I need a business phone number and no joy. Last week I needed the phone number to St. Johns Pharmacy - put that in and you get CVS, Walgreens, etc. Bad enough to have to scroll down the page on the computer, but from my iPhone. No go :(

Now on my home computer, I just typed www.google.com (http://www.google.com) into the address bar and it takes me to a page where I have to sign in to iGoogle. I did it several times and even went up and deleted and rest of the string from the address and just left www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and the second I hit enter it takes me to the iGoogle login page.

Good bye Google.

Bing has prettier pictures anyway :)

End of rant!

-M

Phillip Allen
07-27-2013, 05:05 AM
coffee?

WX
07-27-2013, 05:26 AM
"Warmouth + St Augustine + oncology "

Try in invert commas and you get top of the first page.

Concordia...41
07-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Actually when I tried it in Bing just now (because I knew I would be fact checked) it comes up.

In IE9 or 10 - whatever I have, nope.

Paul Pless
07-27-2013, 06:19 AM
"Warmouth + St Augustine + oncology "when i google that, this thread tops the list:d

John Smith
07-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Increasing dissatisfaction with search results for months coming to a head when I needed the first name of Claudia's oncologist (Marc) and I Googled Warmouth + St Augustine + oncology and his information was on the THIRD page of the results. :mad: Like Christina, said - good to know if you're someone paying for Google advertising... (obviously Dr. Warmouth isn't)

But it is unacceptable for me to put in something as specific as the doctor's last name, his location, and speciality and not get what I need in the first page. I've had several instances like that where I need a business phone number and no joy. Last week I needed the phone number to St. Johns Pharmacy - put that in and you get CVS, Walgreens, etc. Bad enough to have to scroll down the page on the computer, but from my iPhone. No go :(

Now on my home computer, I just typed www.google.com (http://www.google.com) into the address bar and it takes me to a page where I have to sign in to iGoogle. I did it several times and even went up and deleted and rest of the string from the address and just left www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and the second I hit enter it takes me to the iGoogle login page.

Good bye Google.

Bing has prettier pictures anyway :)

End of rant!

-M

Be very careful. Google has always asked me if I want to make it my default search engine or my home page. Bing just took over without asking. I'd look for sheds and they'd bring me to hair dryers. I wanted Google back.

I went to Google and clicked yes on making it my home page: didn't work. I removed Bing: didn't work. I finally got my fairly computer literate daughter and she spent an hour finding a way to get Google back.

SMARTINSEN
07-27-2013, 06:42 AM
A google search of "Life without google" returns 14 billion pages so you are not alone.

skipper68
07-27-2013, 06:54 AM
I LOVE Bing.
I LOVE the new images every morning. They have info and other squares to tell you what your looking at.
I love Bing rewards.I use the points for Amazon gift cards, but they have other rewards if you choose.
To maintain Gold status, I do 150 searches a month and get 10% off my redemptions.
I have 2 of their images for my wallpaper, also.

John Smith
07-27-2013, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I had a little box constantly showing sheds at Walmart, long after I'd bought a shed. It annoyed me. I found searching with Bing quite discouraging.

Rich Jones
07-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I had a little box constantly showing sheds at Walmart, long after I'd bought a shed. It annoyed me. I found searching with Bing quite discouraging. That was God's punishment for buying a shed at Walmart!:d

George Jung
07-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Have you tried any of the 'lesser known' search engines? Dogpile; kayak; there are a bunch. This one looks interesting: duckduckgo.

skipper68
07-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I had a little box constantly showing sheds at Walmart, long after I'd bought a shed. It annoyed me. I found searching with Bing quite discouraging. Just go to the bottom right and clear search history on their homepage.

George Jung
07-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Avoid cookies - bring up a screen using 'control/shift/P'. Works well.

xflow7
07-27-2013, 07:15 AM
I use duckduckgo pretty frequently and am pretty happy with it. One feature that's cool is how you can optionally search other engines from DDG as described here (https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html)

George Jung
07-27-2013, 07:20 AM
That is pretty slick/useful. thanks!

Nicholas Scheuer
07-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Never knew I was supposed to use (+) signs when using Google. Learn something new every day. Is there an instruction on the Google front page I missed?

Mrleft8
07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
I hate all of them, and look forward to a life without computers.

The Bigfella
07-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Bye bye, don't let the door slam on your bum on the way out.

pefjr
07-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Officially done? By what official authority? Do you think that threading this on a forum is the final association with Google? If so, you are sadly mistaken, and I am sorry but someone needs to inform you that is impossible. Google has long ago woven it's fibers through your very on line soul. Might well sit back and enjoy.:d

elf
07-27-2013, 08:53 AM
My home page is blank. I don't like waiting for something to load when I launch my browser.

As for google, it's my default search engine but strings need to be inside quotes and always put the most restricing one first.

John of Phoenix
07-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Never knew I was supposed to use (+) signs when using Google. Learn something new every day. Is there an instruction on the Google front page I missed?Actually it works better without them. Much better.

This is with a Chrome browser vs IE8 not that it should make any difference.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Sqgprs3dQsU/UfPT-tS9YoI/AAAAAAAADhE/zXwQ-6uhZVE/w830-h623-no/Search.png

Flying Orca
07-27-2013, 09:11 AM
When you just plunk a bunch of terms into the googler, the search will look for them, and weight the results by how many are present, but it won't necessarily rank pages with all of them highest. If you want all of your search terms in the results, precede each one with a plus sign. (Also handy - if you want to filter out a particular term, enter it with a minus sign in front of it.) Placing a string (note this means a sequence of characters, NOT a sequence of words) in quotes searches for the entire string as entered, albeit with some flexibility.

epoxyboy
07-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Do you mean Marc A Warmuth? As in there is no O? As in its not Warmouth? It works a lot better:) if that is the guy you are looking for.

Nanoose
07-28-2013, 06:30 PM
duckduckgo
No tracking of anything convinced me to make the switch, although I have had no confidence in google for some time and would like to not use them at all.

I've been VERY happy with duckduckgo; great search results.

Nanoose
07-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Here ya go, lefty: How to Commit Internet Suicide and Disappear from the Web Forever

http://lifehacker.com/5958801/how-to-commit-internet-suicide-and-disappear-from-the-web-forever