PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Gray Fox, or Coyote?
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/Mrleft8/IMG_3423_zps1de2dee8.jpg

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/Mrleft8/IMG_3417_zps251c3cca.jpg
My first thought was Gray Fox. It's about the size of a cat. There was another one outside the trap that stayed back about 10' when I got out to see what I had and set it free. Every time I pointed the camera at the free one it ran off out of sight, so no pics of it.
On further inspection I'm leaning towards Coyote, because it has no black paws..... But I've never seen such tiny Coyotes.....

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 05:53 AM
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/Mrleft8/IMG_3419_zps249ca95e.jpg

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/Mrleft8/IMG_3416_zps386fac04.jpg

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 06:02 AM
It was absolutely unafraid of me. Snuffled my fingers as I unlatched the door, went back in to pick up the bait, and sat down to eat. I poked it gently with a stick to get it to move so I could clean the trap, and it looked indignant and "Meowed" at me before trotting off.

Ian McColgin
07-24-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm with gray fox as well. The reds are larger and have the black boots and no way it's a coyote. If you saw either running and the tail was out that would add to fox ID since coyotes run with their tails more down. Coyotes often displace foxes and reds displace grays but the grays like the kind of timbered land you have around the house, so gray is likely your home population.

Willin'
07-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Chupacabra?

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Not Chupacabra.
I've seen dozens of Coyotes, which are similar in color, but 8 times bigger.... It was the lack of boots that had me confused, but apparently Gray Foxes have no soxes.... Distinct skull shape too apparently, but I didn't do the phrenological thing.....

John Boone
07-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Looks like a Gray fox to me as well.

Here's a recent coyote photo for comparison.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd304/jsbpbacct/Shooting%20and%20Hunting/20130620_090438_zps83fc051e.jpg

The coyote population here in central NC is growing and they are hitting the deer and wild turkey populations pretty hard.

BETTY-B
07-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Why was it trapped?

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Why was it trapped?

There's something leaving muddy foot prints on the front deck/walkway of my father's house. The house is "on the market". In the recent past there was a raccoon that tore shingles off the roof, and tore a hole in the roof boards, and tore up the ceiling in the kitchen. I've just spent $20K doing repairs. I figured it was another (The same?) raccoon leaving the tracks. Now I think it may have been the Foxes.... (I hope) Foxes aren't likely to tear holes in the roof at least.
If it had been a raccoon, I would have driven it far, far, far away, and released it in an environment that it would have a good chance of surviving in.

Rich Jones
07-24-2013, 07:47 AM
There's something leaving muddy foot prints on the front deck/walkway of my father's house. The house is "on the market". In the recent past there was a raccoon that tore shingles off the roof, and tore a hole in the roof boards, and tore up the ceiling in the kitchen. I've just spent $20K doing repairs. I figured it was another (The same?) raccoon leaving the tracks. Now I think it may have been the Foxes.... (I hope) Foxes aren't likely to tear holes in the roof at least.
If it had been a raccoon, I would have driven it far, far, far away, and released it in an environment that it would have a good chance of surviving in.

Don't let the state wildlife officials know you're transporting animals from their local spot. Their advice on nuisance animals is always to trap and kill. Harsh but probably well reasoned. Myself, I've transported nuisance squirrels about three miles away, but across a river. Unless they find a bridge, they ain't coming back.

Rich Jones
07-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Raccoons have a manual dexterity that foxes lack I'd suspect it was a raccoon doing the damage. But wild raccoons aren't likely to waste a lot of energy tearing up something if there isn't going to be some sort of reward, maybe there was something in the attic space that attracted them.

Warmth and a nice nesting place is what attracts them in the fall. Attics are custom made for that!

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
There is no attic. I think they were going after food that the renters had let fall behind the fridge.

bamamick
07-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Yesterday morning I was walking out to the barn to feed the cats and I looked immediately to my left into the nose and eyes of a juvenile 'coon, who happened to be standing on the mast for the Penguin (hanging on hooks on the side of the barn). Geez. Those guys can get anywhere.

We don't often see fox around here, but over the past year or so I have been seeing more of them, Red Fox with brilliant orange coats. Beautiful animals.

We have also seen a return of rabbits to our area, which is sort of unusual. Maybe the fox are here because of the rabbits, but coyotes are so common now that you can actually see them in daytime, and we see more and more of them killed on the highways, which not too long ago was a rare occurrence.

Mickey Lake

MiddleAgesMan
07-24-2013, 08:53 AM
...it looked indignant and "Meowed" at me before trotting off.

Obviously a cat. ;)

Figment
07-24-2013, 08:55 AM
When the fisher cats moved in I figured that was the death knell for the foxes, as they're both hunting the same turkeys and rabbits, but it hasn't happened yet. Still plenty of bunnies and turkeys around, and every so often we'll sneak around a corner and catch a fox darting for cover.
All reds up here.

Rich Jones
07-24-2013, 10:09 AM
It was absolutely unafraid of me. Snuffled my fingers as I unlatched the door, went back in to pick up the bait, and sat down to eat. I poked it gently with a stick to get it to move so I could clean the trap, and it looked indignant and "Meowed" at me before trotting off.

Next time, wear heavy gloves when opening the cage. Rabies is rare, but still around.

Virgin Gal
07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Here's a video that shows how to effectively use a dog to frighten away unwanted wildlife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J2jnEBrMkTAIt looks like Aldo (the dog) and Hercules (the cat)..and they are all about the same size!

Jim Bow
07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Daughter had a chat with the pest guy who was getting rid of her mice. They talked about live trapping raccoons in the city of Portland, OR. He said it's legal for a licensed pest exterminator to kill raccoons on private property. To trap them live requires that they be moved a minimum of 30 miles from the point of the trap. They cannot be legally released on private property without the property owners permission, cannot be released on federal land without proper permits, and cannot be released on county owned land without the presence of a county animal control officer. Arranging all that could cost several hundred dollars.

J P
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM

The grays can climb trees too.

That one appears fairly healthy -- 'healthier' than the coyote in post #8 -- but I'd heed the rabies warnings. I had an an encounter with a rabid fox at a remote wilderness trailhead. The thing looked possessed and came straight at me unafraid. It started circling, trying to get behind me and put up with getting pelted by handfuls of gravel before eventually wandering off.

Good to have'm around for rodent control though. My dogs get pretty excited when they get a whiff of one. How did that captive one smell?

wardd
07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Here's a video that shows how to effectively use a dog to frighten away unwanted wildlife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J2jnEBrMkTA

the otter cheats

Breakaway
07-24-2013, 03:35 PM
My dogs get pretty excited when they get a whiff of one. How did that captive one smell?

Mine too. We have a red fox or three around here and the dog goes wild when one shows up. But 'coons, possums....unless he runs right into them snout-to-snout, the dog hardly cares they are around.

Kevin

Paul Pless
07-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Here's a video that shows how to effectively use a dog to frighten away unwanted wildlife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J2jnEBrMkTA

maybe get a cat instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQ47elTsRk

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 03:57 PM
The grays can climb trees too.

That one appears fairly healthy -- 'healthier' than the coyote in post #8 -- but I'd heed the rabies warnings. I had an an encounter with a rabid fox at a remote wilderness trailhead. The thing looked possessed and came straight at me unafraid. It started circling, trying to get behind me and put up with getting pelted by handfuls of gravel before eventually wandering off.

Good to have'm around for rodent control though. My dogs get pretty excited when they get a whiff of one. How did that captive one smell?
No odor.
And of course I was wearing heavy leather gloves. I may be stupid, but I'm not an idiot! ;)

ccmanuals
07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
It's been really hot in Texas. This pic taken in my neighbor's yard.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/995117_695171860509300_23786970_n.jpg

elf
07-24-2013, 06:38 PM
It's been really hot in Texas. This pic taken in my neighbor's yard.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/995117_695171860509300_23786970_n.jpg
I hope your neighbor got a hose and filled that bird bath up.

Full Tilt
07-24-2013, 07:49 PM
I hope your neighbor got a hose and filled that bird bath up.

Bird baths are verboten in Toronto since West Nile Disease has become a problem. Standing water is mosquito breeding ground.

Mike

Mrleft8
07-24-2013, 07:52 PM
We have West Nile virus positive mosquitoes already this year..... Earliest ever.... Usually they don't appear until the end of August, but with the non-stop monsoon rain we've been having....

Paul Pless
07-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Current thought is that frequent rain is supposed to inhibit mosquito breeding, as the fresh rainwater washes the mosquito eggs and larvae away or out of their still water pools and puddles, etc etc before they can become viable adults.

Full Tilt
07-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Us sailors are more susceptible than the average citizen, since we spend so much time at sea level.

One senior member at our club came down with it and it almost killed him.

Toronto's got a real problem with Coyote. Pet's have been disappearing out of their backyards. The ones I've seen have legs like deer and are waaay taller than the average wolf.

Coyote, opossum, mink and badgers have appeared here in the last few years where they previously had never existed. What's that about? GW?

Mike:confused:

Mrleft8
07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Current thought is that frequent rain is supposed to inhibit mosquito breeding, as the fresh rainwater washes the mosquito eggs and larvae away or out of their still water pools and puddles, etc etc before they can become viable adults.
Lemme guess...... This "thought" is from one of the republican brain surgeons on the house science committee?