PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here go to concerts very often?

bamamick
07-23-2013, 10:54 PM
We actually don't get the chance, to be honest. Mobile isn't exactly a cultural hotspot these days (actually, it's o.k., we just don't get big-name acts at our civic center). My wife and I go to our favorite Irish pub a couple times a month to listen to the trad sessiun, as Ronan (the proprietor) calls it, and we follow our young friends in 'Roman Street' around and listen to them play. This past Sunday one of the better-known button accordion players around, John Whelan, played with the guys at McSharry's, and any time Tom and Fran Morley are there it's a treat.

But anyway, tonight we went to the Wharf down in Orange Beach to see the John Butler Trio and the Dave Matthews Band. All I can say is that the music was awesome, the humidity was terrible, and except for a preponderance of profanity, times haven't changed from when I WAS a steady concert-goer thirty years ago. There is still just as much drunken tomfoolery and pot smoking going on as there was back in my day.

The DMB is what they have always been: fantastic musicians who put a lot of heart and soul into every moment they are out there. They play the JBT on the radio around here and I had heard some of their music, but I don't think I was prepared for what John Butler can do with a stringed-instrument. If you ever get the chance.....

Who would have ever thought that the Dave Matthews Band would play Orange Beach, Alabama? Well, it was SRO with more people hanging outside the venue just to listen.

Mickey Lake

Rich Jones
07-23-2013, 11:04 PM
It's getting too damned expensive!! The wife and I are going to a country/western concert in Saratoga, N.Y. next month. Two tickets, with all the extra fees, comes to $250!!!! That money could be better spent on boat-building supplies!

seanz
07-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Pot smoking? At John Butler trio gig? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.
:)

Saw JBT about two years ago at a big festival, they sucked (:D), wasn't their fault, they were on too early and half the crowd was there to see Tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2b3cggqs0

leikec
07-24-2013, 12:20 AM
I hate going to concerts. I'd much rather be playing music instead of paying to listen to someone else play.

Jeff C

halflin
07-24-2013, 02:00 AM
Saw (and met in person), Stephanie Trick, in Edinburgh on Sunday afternoon, she hails from St Louis, & is currently on a 6week european tour. If you check her out on YouTube you'll be hooked. She played -as part of the Edinburgh blues & jazz Festival -several one hour concerts and an evening event last night competing with a huge thunder storm outside, a wonderful lass , with an engaging personality, (met her Mum as well ,who joined her on tour to see the sights in Europe)
check out her schedule @ Stephanietrick.com ,she may well be playing near you soon. Oh, the cost 4.00 for 2 sessions, I guess 5 dollars in your money.

skuthorp
07-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Used to, at one stage I had a regular seat for the opera season as well but now, retired and living nearly 100k away from the venues that host the kind of music I'm interested in, it's a rare event. Occasionally we get a concert at a 'local' country venue but even that is 45k away over small roads into the hills.

Willin'
07-24-2013, 06:32 AM
We volunteer at Rhythm and Roots down in Rhode Island most Labor Day Weekends (except this year unfortunately) and have an absolute blast. It's like a 60's vintage music festival, only for grown ups. They address all the issues we geezers object to, ie no moshing, standing, dancing or otherwise obstructing the view of those seated and best of all, no tobacco. Great camping on site, a really nice mix of obscure rootsy acts and minor national talent and a beautiful site right on the coast. http://www.rhythmandroots.com/ws/pages/home.php

bob winter
07-24-2013, 07:13 AM
No, too damn much trouble.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Frequently. Last evening it was a local group; nothing to write home about, but the venue (like a mini Ravinia) was tops. Last week it was a much more talented local at the same Japanese Gardens venue. The week before it was Randy Sabien, a Wisconsin version of Steve Goodman who grew up here in Rockford, playing at another nice outdoor venue offering three free concerts each summer (we don't mind paying for Sabien).

ccmanuals
07-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Have tickets to see Steely Dan in August up in Dallas.

spirit
07-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Most of our grandkids and friends sing or play an instrument in various Boston groups.
So we go about twice a month...