PDA

View Full Version : Tool of the Month

daveboling
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't know if there would be enough interest from the magazine subscribers (I'm one of them), but after seeing several shop-made tools on this forum, I believe a short article with construction diagrams could be an aperiodic feature in the magazine.
The latest I've seen (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?90707-New-Matinicus-Peapod-under-construction/page5) is a great idea for a mast/boom/yard sanding tool. The only reason I say that the feature should be aperiodic is to reduce the pressure of having to find a great idea for each issue. There are two versions of the tool, one by jim_cricket, and the other by Steven Bauer & Clinton Chase.:D

Breakaway
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
The Mag sometimes publishes just that, usually by Harry Bryan.

kevin

Ian McColgin
07-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Actually, the magazine's recent article on sawhorses was incredibly enlightening. Amazing what one does not know even after years of dogged boat butchery if one lacks professional training coupled with that broadening experience of being a traditional journeyman.

Then there was the article on screw removal.

There is still room for a feature on "Tools I Wish I Needed." One could do a major essay on striking tools, hammers and mallets, just for woodwork without even getting to mechanics. And that's the simplest.

RFNK
07-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I find the occasional home-made tools to be one of the very best features of WB, so I think this is a great idea.

Rick

JonPogo
07-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Great idea!

Dannybb55
03-07-2014, 07:28 PM
The screw removall article was pretty good but there is plenty more coal in that mine.