PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Gonna Be . . .

Scott Rosen
08-09-2001, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure if this should be here or in Misc., but given the hubub over in Misc., I'll post it here.

Anyone gonna be in Block Island or Shelter Island the week of August 12? If so, look for Patience. You can't miss her. It says "PATIENCE" on her transom. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

norske
08-09-2001, 09:18 PM
Scott, Have you ever been to Boston with Patience--the name sounds familar.Maybeit was another boat with the same name.

Hub-bub? What hub-bub?

Scott Rosen
08-10-2001, 08:06 AM
I've never had Patience in Boston, in fact never had her east of Martha's Vineyard.

Todd Schliemann
08-10-2001, 08:08 AM
Scott, coming to Coecles Harbor? We are headed off for two weeks of cruising on Sunday. The weather doesn't look great so we might be there still. We will probably head to Essex and the Conn. River, then to Mystic, Block and Buzz. Bay. E-mail your plan.

Todd

Matt J.
08-10-2001, 09:12 AM
BOO!
(said the boogeyman http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif)
sorry, couldn't resist.

You guys are fortunate. Anyone need a couple of crew? My wife is a good cook, and fun to talk to. I make good moveable ballast, and I'm a "prudent sailor" according to a teacher I once had. Oh, well, have fun.

How long to sail to Block Island from where you are? I read it's an overnight sail, good for newbies trying to broaden their horizons with an overnight.

[This message has been edited by Emerson (edited 08-10-2001).]

Todd Schliemann
08-10-2001, 01:19 PM
Emerson, From where I am on Shelter Island, you could make it an overnight to Block Island, but you'd have to go real slow. Think it's about 45 miles.

All positions and berths are filled on the boat except baby sitter. If you and your better half want to sleep on deck and take care of the kids we might have a deal.

Fair winds

Scott Rosen
08-10-2001, 01:48 PM
Emerson,

By the way, every place on the oceans, seas and rivers is an overnight. Just depends on where you start from.

Todd, any tips for the trip from Block to Shelter? Is it motoring all the way head on into the prevailing southwesterlies? I've never gone directly from one to the other before.

[This message has been edited by Scott Rosen (edited 08-10-2001).]

Todd Schliemann
08-10-2001, 03:04 PM
Scott, it's almost a due-west course so you will probably be able to reach, if not closely, most of the way this time of year.

Of course it is also known to be windless and with the southerly swell on the beam can be a tedious rolling slog with the engine. Once in the lee of the south fork after Montauk it gets better. Fog is a possibility, but usually clears early, and besides, nothin' much to hit.

There are draggers and seiners that frequent Block Island Sound and seem to be going every-which-way, so if it is foggy, watch for them. Larger traffic is, as you probably know, coming and going from the Race.

As I said, think it's about 45 miles to Coecles, in any case it's a day at 5 knots. You can stop off at Montauk if you need to cut the trip short, maybe anchor in the pond or get one of those VERY high priced slips. It's the land of the sport fisherman though, vroom-vroom!

Recommend going to the north of Gardiner's Island on your way in to Shelter Island, the southerly route is quite a bit longer. Check out the west side of Gardiner's as you pass. Those Gardiner's sure know how to live. Course they've had since the 1600s to get it right.

If you want an adventure bang a left out of Block Island, it's a short hop to Bermuda!

Have some fun and Fair Winds.

Nora Lee
08-11-2001, 06:46 AM
Scott,

The vessel "Patience" that hails from Boston was in our marina about two weeks ago, she has just returned from a 20,000 mile year long odessy with wife and 16 yr old daughter aboard, I am sorry I can't remember the skippers name, but we shared some brews aboard Sea Fever and he shared his stories.

He said that they were greeted around the world with open arms, but we were the first to invite him aboard socially since he returned to the States. Sorry state of affairs, I would say. However, we were also the only wooden Boat that he had encountered since returning also.

Anyone in the Boston area should look him up, salty looking craft and some real yarns to be shared.

Regards,

Nora