PDA

View Full Version : Restore Wooden Boat

RBL
08-17-2002, 12:21 PM
I have recently purchased a 1950s wooden Peterboough 15' Handy Boy outboard constructed of cedar strips and oak ribs. It has not been in water for well over 10 years the lst four in low humidity Colorado. Structurelly it is in good shape. Varnish on the cedar, inside and out, is largely intact but most varnish is gone from all oak.
Where do I start? Resoak first or refinish first?
Would linseed oil on the inside serve to rejuvinate the cedar where the oil soaks through any gaps between the cedar strips or will that serve only loosen the varnish from the cedar?

thechemist
08-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Many triglycerides such as linseed oil will attack the bond of other things to wood. If you don't plan on stripping the varnish anyway I'd not soak a varnished piece of wood in such oil.

lumberdude
08-17-2002, 09:14 PM
RBL, we would love to see pictures. When I restored my cedar strip boat, I just sanded her smooth, kept the humidity up in a controlled setting, and refinished the entire thing before it ever touched water. Mine hadn't been wet in well over 25 years. When I first put her in, there were only a few minor leaks that swelled up tight by that evening. The next day, no more leaks. Now since then I've had more leaks than I did when I first put it in. But nothing a couple of gallons of water the night before I take it out won't fix.

Have fun with the new project.

Kory

Classic Boatworks - Maine
08-19-2002, 05:26 AM
Soak it first. Let it surface dry. Then strip it and revarnish. Do not let it sit bare for very long .... make the process quick.
If you would like us to tell you how we strip quickly and easily, contact us.