PDA

View Full Version : WB233, Lesson from article on the Bounty

Anthony Zucker
07-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Capt. Chase summarized the tragedy very well. I appreciated his comments that the investigation includes dissecting the incident so that we all can learn from it and better prepare ourselves for future trips.

His point that our confidence in controlling situations because we made it thru similar ones in the past struck a chord with me.

As we get older and our boats get older we need to realize that we(bodies and hulls) might not be as capable as we once were. That does not just apply to "Tall Ships" and mega yachts. It applies in spades to us singlehanders and overnighters.

I just wanted to share that with you all.

svsugaree
07-29-2013, 10:00 PM
It was a very good read. Another insightful source for lessons on the Bounty's sinking is Mario Vittone's articles from the USCG hearings. They can be found on gCaptain website as well as links from the Flota-Navium blog.
Mario will be in Seattle for one evening to speak about the sinking of the Bounty on September 24th, 6PM at the Center for Wooden Boats.
The presentation is called "The Illusion of Experience--How Success Led to Failure and Sank the World's Most Famous Tall Ship"
This talk is open to the public, there is no charge however donations to the CWB are accepted.
The schooner Zodiac is hosting the event, and invited Mario out specifically to present this talk. If anyone is interested in attending, please have them email the Zodiac office @ info@schoonerzodiac.com

http://gcaptain.com/author/mario/