PDA

View Full Version : Sky Diving.

Mrleft8
07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Carter has this little insignificant birthday coming up, and she has decided she wants to jump out of a perfectly good airplane....
Any tips on how to choose a company that'll do this, or is this just a "Look in the Yellow pages, they're all the same" kind of deal?

George Jung
07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Is she jumping tandem? I'd think there's a way to check any companies safety record. Or ask someone who jumps for a recommendation. Be careful; lots of downside to that 'sport'!

Gerarddm
07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
To my mind, bungee jumping is scarier. When you jump from a plane, you are so high up, it can seem unreal. And you can do it tandem.

Bungeee jumping is visceral, and human scaled. You also do it alone.

I bungee jumped off a 220' crane once over a rock quarry. i have never been so gripped in my life. Never again, thanks.

paulf
07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
GRAVITY...Not just a good idea , it's the LAW

George Jung
07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
My daughter bungee jumped out of a gondola, 450 feet above a lake in Switzerland. Had it video-taped. Fearless. Gave me the heebyjeebies.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Some people were born to fly through the air.
I'm not one of them.

The Bigfella
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Try for an interesting location. I did a jump over Great Keppel Island from 8,500'. There's plenty of fun to be had in jumping over the sea and having to make landfall.

Jim Ledger
07-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Carter? You'd better put some ballast on her.

George Jung
07-04-2013, 05:17 PM
30's good.... on so many levels! Still bounce, at 30...

Joe Dupere
07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I took skydiving lessons back when I was in college. Forty bucks got me four hours of on ground training, separate training on how to pack a parachute, equipment rental and 5 jumps. The first three were static line jumps, the last two were free fall. I still have nightmares! On the other hand, I have fond memories, but not enough to make me want to do it again.

I think things have changed in the intervening forty years.

Peter K
07-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Long time ago I signed up for a similar deal, Joe.
My first static line jump gave me a candled chute, immediately followed by my first freefall while my reserve deployed.
When I was picked up, all the operators were concerned with was where my primary chute had landed.
I declined further jumps, never felt the urge to vacate a perfectly good plane since.

The Bigfella
07-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Does she understand that it is traditional for the 100th jump to be made naked? She can still wear the 'chute though.

JBreeze
07-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I suggest the jump be done far away from any commercial airports...and you don't want a jump plane pilot to be pre-occupied with the jumpers and not listening to ATC or ignoring visual flight rules:

DETROIT (AP) The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday it is investigating a close call between a Texas-bound Spirit Airlines flight and a skydiving plane that forced the jetliner to dive sharply over Michigan, as screaming passengers feared the plane was going to crash....

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/faa-probes-close-call-spirit-jet-small-plane-1

SMARTINSEN
07-06-2013, 08:12 PM
There is a little place up in Plainfield, CT that does this, they fly out of Danielson, and as noted above, safely away from BDL. My sister had the same urge upon her birthday, and I was the only one that would go with her and that is where we went.. This was shortly after Bush pere made a jump for his 80th; Pops was the same age, and we invited him but he declined. He came to watch, though and had all great time. I am pretty sure that your first jump will be tandem.

http://www.skydivedanielson.com/?gclid=CLWf8f2anLgCFcye4AoddDcAlQ